1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who EDCs a karambit? Pics if you got them

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ParacordMan1220, Aug 6, 2017.

1. ParacordMan1220

ParacordMan1220 Loaded Pockets

Recently I've been looking into items that some people carry in the lines of "Defensive EDC." A lot of them have a small, strange looking blade or spike (mostly karambits) they usually carry to compliment their handgun.

I've never been a fan of these before, but after reading some stories and hearing the effectiveness the karambit has, they've began catching my interest. If I were to carry one of these, I would of course train with it.

So does anyone ever carry one of these?

Last edited by ParacordMan1220, Aug 6, 2017
    #1 ParacordMan1220, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Probably at least a misdemeanor . Love 'em but? Can't travel, concerts, theaters, gov buildings, etc.

3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Not that us UK citizens can legally carry anything when it comes to self defense but is there a non locking sub 3" karambit on the market any how?

I can't imagine that any of them would be a good all round choice for an EDC blade but I've never had one so what do I know. Lol

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I were thinking, even you guys in the States, if you carried/used one for self defense, wouldn't you have a hard time in court over it?

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  5. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

Along with a folder to handle my day to day cutting needs, I carry a Schrade SCH111. That's my Emerson mini cqc 15 also in the pic.

[​IMG]

I carry it strictly as a "get off me knife". Concealed under my shirt its light, thin and no one (except my wife) knows it's there.

[​IMG]

6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

That depends on the state and what you did with it. Karambits can be used as striking weapons or leverage weapons in addition to the typical knife defense methods. There's a big difference between "I was attacked and sliced the guys arms to defend myself" and "I was attacked and did serious damage to someone". In my state, knives that are meant to be weapons are illegal to carry, so yes I could get in trouble just for having it in public let alone actually using it. I do have one and carry it around the house occasionally (It's perfectly legal to own such things here, but carrying them in public is a grey area, up to the arresting officer). The blade shape is great for opening packages and the ring means you can let go of it to use your hand without dropping it or having to set it down.

Another thing to consider would be fixed or folding. I would think folders are much better for everyday use and carry where as fixed blades would be better in high intensity situations.

Regardless, I would say make sure you know your local laws regarding these. Also, understand that the curved blade shape is harder to sharpen and while there are many available at cheaper prices, they often have flaws. The one I have was on the cheaper side and has several issues with it, but I didn't put out too much money and it's still fun to carry and use around the house.

earthman likes this.
  7. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

I've tried a few karambits and finger ring knives. During my mallninja phase I carried a Battle Ring FGX (please, contain your laughter)

[​IMG]

I did learn from them so it wasn't a waste
    -finger rings are pretty easy to grab with the index finger
    -I can conceal 90% of the knife and leave only the ring exposed, and still get a reliable fast draw
    -the Battle Ring is the only comfy one I've held. Most finger rings are uncomfortable and out of alignment with the rest of the fingers
    -it's not easy to deploy a folder once I'm holding it with the ring. I'd recommend a wave folder or a fixed blade.
    -I'm not a fan of hawkbill knives. Not for utility nor defense. I much prefer traditional blade shapes

About the hawkbill blade, I got to disliking it once I started sparring with trainers. Frequently when I got tackled or pinned the hawkbill blade would be facing outward while my partner was on the inside. I could hardly get any blade contact on my partner, there was no tip to stab with, and the grip was super awkward to hold backwards or to spin into a hammer grip. But with a traditional blade shape I could stab regardless of the direction of the blade or the grip.

So there's my take. I've been eyeballing the Fox Dart and Benchmade SOCP recently. They seem to fit the bill. I reserve final judgement until after I've sparred with the trainers.

About legality you must check your local law. My state forbids daggers so I have to get single-edged versions of these knives. Check your state and city's weapon laws and justifiable use of force.

8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Maave brings up a good point. The traditional fixed blade karambits are typically double-edged blades and many states including my own prohibit double-edges.

Yes, hawkbills aren't for everyone. You may want to try carrying a cheaper hawkbill to see how you like the shape before getting a karambit.

9. ParacordMan1220

ParacordMan1220 Loaded Pockets

I've been researching the laws for my state, and it seems that there isn't much regarding the karambit. I think it's more along the lines of what the officer chooses.

I've never had a hawkbill, so I went out and found a nice little karambit for $15 with a D2 steel and kydex sheath. I can't justify dropping $100 or more on a knife that likely won't ever be used.

10. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I would slash my wrists within 2 seconds of deploying it. A friend of mine has a rubber one, he dipped the "blade" in chalk and let me play with it, my wrists and jeans ended up covered in chalk dust. However, for the few seconds before I bleed out I would look amazingly cool....

huntnow likes this.
  11. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Officers don't determine the legality, they only arrest regarding their interpretation/understanding of it, the attorney general is the one you have to worry about.
    Cops can arrest for open carry handguns bere, but the AG won't prosecute.

Some states have no knife laws, the use of a knife for self defense is no different than any other tool as long as you are justified when using it.

As far as Karambits go, I'm facinated by how they look but often wonder about practical application despite many choosing it for SD.

12. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Schrade karambit. Just take the cord that comes on it, wrap the handle, and use the rest to make an X across the back to fit the belt through

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

13. Mr Thriven

Mr Thriven Loaded Pockets

Here are 2 of the first karambits I ever carried. I prefer fixies over folders, but in my current home state it's better to be safe than sorry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. Mr Thriven

These are my favorite karambit fixies, but I don't carry them in Illinois.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rfpd29 and Water-Rat like this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I do not consider any of my knives for self defense. I've not had any training and partly (but not totally) for that reason sort of subscribe to an expression of seen on these forums (and others) that really nobody walks away from a knife fight without shedding blood -- only questions being do you walk away (!) and how much blood you shed!

That being said. I do own a couple of hawkbill folders. Both from Spyderco; both with serrated edges. They are a Tasman with the H1 steel and a Ladybug also with H1. I also have a a couple of the Cricket knives from Spyderco, both in VG-10 steel, one with a plain edge and one with a serrated. The Crickets are not really hawkbills, but do have a very pronounced recurve. What I like about these four knives is how very effective they are on any sort of fibrous materials. Includes knitted cloth as well as various rope, twine, etc. The serrated ones in particular just flow these materials like butter. Not that I need to cut such things often, but it sure is nice having a blade handy that is just so good at slicing these materials when I do need to!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Water-Rat and Mr Thriven like this.
  16. Mr Thriven

You bring up a valid and often overlooked point, Moshe. Using a knife for SD means if you have to draw your blade, someone is going to die. The sobriety of that scenario cannot be overstated.

17. The Last Crow On The Wire

The Last Crow On The Wire Loaded Pockets

Better them than me

Rfpd29 likes this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Actually the point I was trying to make is that all participants in a knife fight need to expect they will shed blood themselves. Only unknowns are how much blood they will personally shed and whether or not they will be able to walk away. No personal experience on my part; but I've seen this stated so often in so many places I believe there is truth in this.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

I carried two for a bit - a Fox and the larger Emerson. They work Ok for EDC. The blade actually lends itself well for packages. But the main problem was the pocket carry. Folding karambits sit too large in the pocket.

20. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Yes, it is up to the officer. A co-worker of mine was actually arrested for having a miniature souvenier baseball bat in his car; one that was about 18" long. I may not have gotten the full story from him (he may have been mouthing off to the cop for example), but he was dropping some serious brown bricks over the incident. In the end it was dismissed, but can only imagine what would happen if he had had a karambit with him.

They are simply aggresive looking knives and I doubt one can find just cause for carrying one, unless one is a fisherman with an armload of nets for example. They don't seem a practical choice for a person to carry in an urban environment unless its a confrontational one - SD or as an aggressor. They may have other more practical uses, but I cannot think of any at the moment.

Water-Rat likes this.