1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who DOESN'T use a case for his smartphone ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Millman55, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

I was wondering, why spend so much on those rugged cases ?
    Isn't it more effective to use a non-smartphone with hefty battery life in cases where the phone might need extra protection ? Such as gyms, trails, jeep rides, garage work ?

Besides that -for daily use I'm sure they design these phones to handle average daily use ? Including some bumping here and there, perhaps a fall from a desk ?
    Can you really destroy an Iphone if it falls off your work desk unprotected ?

2. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Well, I've known a few folks to flip an iPhone 4 off their desk and crack the glass. The phone still works but it's not so pretty anymore. I'm hoping the iPhone 5 is a bit more robust with the aluminum back. I like to carry my phone bare but in situations where I know there's going to be water, dust or physical activity....I'll put it in a case. Better safe than sorry!

mooshisho likes this.
  3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

My iPhone feels amazing without a case, but I've dropped this guy enough times to keep it in its case. Plus my case has a rather awesome integrated pocket clip, so it stays on :)

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I had my phone (Motorola Atrix) in an Otterbox for a year. When I realized that I hadn't dropped it for that entire year (not even once!) I went to a much thinner case (if you can call it that). I wanted to keep the thin case on it to keep the phone scratch free for an easier sell when I upgrade my phone. :)

5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

My phone is necked, has always been necked, and always will be necked. I have an unusually awesome insurance plan through Bestbuy in which I pay about $10.50 per month. If I break it, they will replace it, no charge. Unlimited times.

My phone, which is a Verizon Rezound, is a fairly stout phone which has been dropped numerous times but come away with barely a bruise.

I'm mobile, baby! :)

6. Ollie243

Ollie243 Loaded Pockets

I have a real issue with putting cases on my iPhone and iPad. My logic is I don't pay top top £€$ for the best phone or tablet that has had £100,000s spent in designing and ergos and then put some crappy made in china case on, or something so bulky it's impractical and I may as well be carrying a brick. I am also carefully with my toys XD

batteryguru likes this.
  7. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

I have a Blackberry Curve 8530. I've dropped it at least a dozen times, some of them onto the driveway or concrete floors. It's nigh invulnerable.

8. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

My iPhone4 goes without a case, and right now it has only a front screen protector. I did start out with screen protectors on front and back and then a Nite Ize eClipse attached as high up on the back as possible to keep it clipped to my left front pocket. The back protector & clip, after nearly 2 years of solid duty, gave out so I put the clip away to be repurposed soon. When I upgrade my phone in November, I'll apply the screen protectors and try the new Nite Ize hip clip.

9. BadgerX

BadgerX Loaded Pockets

My old school EVO was naked, my new EVO 4G LTE has a thin hard case and screen protector, and its still just as thin as my old naked one I like the case

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

10. misterS
    • In Omnia Paratus

misterS EDC Junkie!!!!!

got nothing on my iPhone 4 these days. Love the way it looks and feels without a case. When I first got it I always kept it covered....now I'm getting ready to buy the iPhone 5...will probably cover that, at least at first.

11. Andy_pha

Andy_pha Loaded Pockets

case free here. I keep insurance on my smart phone through verizon. Not sure if it would cover anything, but it makes me feel like I'm covered. I can't stand buying a nice slim phone and then putting a huge case on it.

12. Land

Land Loaded Pockets

I carry my Motorola Droid X without a case, usually. (I do have a tacticool holster from Maxped that it sometimes rides in, though.) I don't keep a screen protector on it anymore, either. The glass is unmarred, though the body has some minor dents, dings and scratches on it from drops.;-)

It often gets put into my motorcycle tank bag without a case. It's ridden in there for thousands amd thousands of miles.

That said, this is my "old" phone. I put it back into service this summer after I dropped my Droid X2 out of a pocket of my riding jacket at 60-plus MPH. Oops! It was pretty trashed. Something like an Otterbox maybe would have saved it. Dunno.

Zip yer pockets and snap yer snaps and hook yer loops. ;-)

Chris

13. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

My Xperia is usually in a Gen Mob case along with spare battery, earphones and stylus. I'm not a big phone user, but if for any reason I'm expecting imminent calls I usually take it out the case and put it in a pocket. Otherwise it's usually kicking around in it's case, in my backpack. It's not used enough to permanently take up a pocket.

14. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

Not yet. Just got the Droid Razr M and i'm not seeing a lot of cases for it yet.

15. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

No case on my Galaxy Nexus. I've been careful (lucky) enough so far not to drop or damage it. I really don't want to have to double its size with a case.

16. losvedir

losvedir Empty Pockets

No case or screen protector for my Google Nexus S. Going on a year and a half now, and still as pristine as when it came out of the box. It gets its own pocket, and I'm careful enough not to drop it, I guess.

17. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

I have not used a case in a year plus now for my outdated droid x. I bought one for it originally yet the feel of it in my pocket was a horrible feeling. It gets the usual drops here and there yet has withstood cracking of the screen and any real damage except for scratches which are bound to happen.

I look forward to investing in an iphone soon which will be wrapped in an otterbox.

18. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

If I ever get an SP that doesn't take drops well, I'm going to get a Skinth for it.
    That'll give me an excuse to have one on my belt at all times, because cell-phone holsters (as ridiculous as most of them look) are more socially acceptable than an MT holster.

Smith28 likes this.
  19. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

Brilliant idea, plus, an excuse for a skinth.

Sent from my uber slow Droid X

20. RottingxZombie

RottingxZombie Loaded Pockets

I've always thrown a case on my phone (iPhone 4) because it seems to narrow to comfortably use, plus the back is a fingerprint collector which drives me crazy. After reading a few comments here I'm going to take the case off for today and see how that works out! A thing I dislike about the case is that it blocks the headphone plug (it's fine on small ear buds but the headphones I use when I drum have a chunky plug so I have to take the case off which is kind of annoying). Hopefully I'll upgrade to an iPhone 5 soon and I'll try that without a case for awhile