1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who Carries.....

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by switchblade906, Aug 1, 2013.

1. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of compression bandages and triangular bandage in my car's first aid kit plus a roll of gauze.

2. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dok J likes this.
  3. dtotheatothevtothee

dtotheatothevtothee Empty Pockets

Dark Angel D.A.R.K. - I usually just take the crap out and stuff it in my cargo pocket unless I'm at the range where I'll wear it on my belt.

4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Dtotheatothevtothee (jeeeze, that was a mouthful. I'm just going to call you "Doug" from now on, if that's OK with you?), Welcome to EDCF. If you like the D.A.R.K. and want to save little cash, you may want to read this.

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

You should call him Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAKplumber and T.H.Cone like this.
  6. T.H.Cone

I'm not married to "Doug", "Dave" is fine with me.

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I carry a few things beyond the usual FAK - a pack of quick-clotting gauze, suture kit, disposable scalpel, syringe and irrigation hose, individual super glue containers (sometimes better than stitches). Most of my training for the use of these items came while I was in a medical unit in the Army.

8. ejcb

ejcb Loaded Pockets

Yep, am fortunate to have a solid stock of 2x EVERYTHING celox offers, FOX chest seals, SOFT and MAT tourniquets, OLAES blast and wound dressings - preferable to the Israeli dressings, Nightingale dressings, Russel chest seals, Chest Dart etc

The Celox is worth about £475/500, but in my line of work, I need to have those stocks at home so can keep replenned between tasks, touch wood won't be needing any or all of it any time soon!

9. dtotheatothevtothee

dtotheatothevtothee Empty Pockets

Thanks! Dave or Doug...trust me I've been called worse. I went with D.A.R.K. to support an Air Force vet-owned, Colorado business. I looked at other options but I didn't feel like wasting all the time looking for each piece and paying shipping on most of it, so it seemed like it was still a good deal. Plus, Hot Sauce threw in a free R.E.D. t-shirt. Great forum, I'm digging it so far!!

T.H.Cone likes this.
  10. Kones

Kones Loaded Pockets

I only carry what I feel qualified to use... so no trach kits or anything for me :) But what I have tends to cover me for most things.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  11. T.H.Cone

Kones, I just toss this out there as grist for the mill and the concept wasn't invented by me, but there is an argument to be made for having trauma gear even if you are unqualified. While you may not be able to properly use that stuff, the next person may be trained but unequipped.

For example, you stop at a traffic accident because you are the type of guy who wants to help- and I know you are- but things are bad enough that you are in over your head. But then the next person rolls up. This person is an off duty EMT, LEO, MD, RN, firefighter, veteran, trained civilian, etc. There are lots of people with the knowledge but not the gear. They walk among us every day. Why they don't have gear is beyond my reckoning.

Whether it is Synchronicity, Devine intervention, or dumb luck, sometimes the gear and the knowledge get to where the need to be by two different roads. So I humbly suggest that if your system can take it, having stuff you can't personally use isn't as crazy as it sounds. My mom has jumper cables in the car. Pretty sure she doesn't know how to use them. Also pretty sure she know how to ask for help.

All the usual caveats apply. Training is essential. Don't do stuff you're not capable of. We live in a world full of lawyers.

Russ Prechtl and Lou_G like this.
  12. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Be careful with this -- I have heard that in some municipalities carrying certain things, by the very act of carrying them (i.e. something you aren't actually trained to use) can jeopardize your coverage under Good Samaritan laws. I don't have any first hand knowledge of this (haven't read all 50 statues), but I'd encourage you to look up the laws for where you are and see if there are any cases that have made rulings that might affect you. You can find links to all 50 at cprinstructor dot com slash legal dot htm

I was surprised, for example, that in PA you are ONLY covered by the Good Samaritan Act if you hold a current certificate from an approved training.

Russ Prechtl and T.H.Cone like this.
  13. T.H.Cone

Great point, Cprrkwif. For what it is worth, I do agree with you.

But I did say, "All the usual caveats apply. Training is essential. Don't do stuff you're not capable of. We live in a world full of lawyers." The right thing to do may put you in jeopardy, legal or otherwise. Deciding to act is a decision best done well ahead of time. Sometimes you have to distinguish between the law and the morality of a particular course of action. They are not always the same thing.

Cprrckwlf likes this.
  14. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Just want to reinforce the "that if your system can take it, having stuff you can't personally use isn't as crazy as it sounds"

Sometimes when we check our system we don't remember that there are dusty corners of it outside of ourselves that we need to shine a light in. Sometimes the laws aren't what we think they are, and some of them are truly off (and I say that as a Floridian). Whether this be what you are allowed to do, what you are allowed to carry, or what piece of paper you must have before you do anything. In California, for example, you are covered as a Good Samaritan for medical situations, but not non-medical: if you come across a car accident and someone is lying on the ground and you bandage a wound or whatever you are covered, if they are trapped in the car and you get them out you are acting as a rescuer and not covered (per the CA Supreme Court).

15. T.H.Cone

I totally agree with you Cprrchwif. All I'm trying to add is that I decided long ago, that for me personally, I'd rather do what I believe to be right and worry about where the chips fall later. That's not the right philosophy for everyone. You have to truly resign yourself to the fact that there will be consequences. I'm not recommending it. I'm merely saying that that mindset is but one of many and it is worth considering.

All the issues surrounding trauma gear are the same ones that surround CCW. Mindset, training, prior careful deliberation, and potential jeopardy after the fact. Like everything else that's important, these things shouldn't be entered into cavalierly.

Russ Prechtl and Cprrckwlf like this.
  16. Rescuebuftm

Rescuebuftm Empty Pockets

In my experience (as an EMT & Paramedic for 20+ yrs) you'll generally be covered under the Good Samaritan laws as long as what you do is reasonable and does not fall under gross negligence. If you yank someone out of a car with obvious injuries and there was no need to pull them out (no fire or other hazards) then you may have an issue. On the other hand you do yank someone out of a car regardless of their injuries because there was a reasonable expectation that leaving them there would do more harm then good then you'd be covered - even if this meant you worsened existing injuries. Also, some states require a trained or certified professional to stop at all accidents, etc. some other states do not impose this requirement when you are off duty.
    As far as my personal FAK I'm currently putting together a new kit that will include as much as possible of the items that I have been trained in but I'm also including some additional items such as sutures that I am not qualified to do. Those items will be used for myself or my immediate family but not for a stranger. I want to bring up another area for discussion and I'll use myself as an example. I am no longer certified as a Paramedic because I have a permanent disability that keeps me from lifting the required weight. I'm still able to perform all skills other than lifting heavy people or objects. I'll pose the question: Should someone whose certification is lapsed or expired (not lost due to negligence, etc.) still use their skills to help others or should they hesitate to help because they are worried about no longer being certified? As far as me personally I will render enough aid to stabilize a person and then pass the care over to the first individual that shows up with a valid certification. I'd also be honest and tell them my situation because most likely they will believe I'm certified anyway based on my care and my demeanor. This helps to cover them as well so they don't automatically assume I'm legit and document the situation wrong. I wouldn't worry about someone suing me because I'm confident I'd only do those things that I have the skill and expertise to perform - certification or not.

Russ Prechtl and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

I
    I am in the police academy and will be an officer or deputy soon so the Good Samaritan act will not apply to me lol

18. FrozenMuffin

FrozenMuffin Loaded Pockets

Mine isn't a blow out kit by anyone's standards. But lots of blood stoppers, gauze, tape and wraps, cold compress packs, bandaids of all shapes and sizes, meds and ointments. Got some vaseline impregnated gauze recently to add for long(er) term dressings that won't stick to a wound site.

I have a Condor rip-away EMT pouch on the way. Pictures soon to follow :D

19. Rescuebuftm

Rescuebuftm Empty Pockets

It may depending on your state. You may be covered while off-duty. Odds are though that you will be held to a higher standard being that you'll be a LEO. The odd thing is that law enforcement and emergency medical standards are sometimes very different in the same state. At one point I was a Federal LEO and Paramedic at the same time. That really made interpretation of the law quite difficult.

20. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah everyday, it lives in the car. I bought a Condor rip-away and stocked it with compression dressings and goodies from our main trauma bag. As my wife pointed out a fully equipped trauma bag in the closet at home isn't much use on the road. :)

Russ Prechtl likes this.