1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who carries TEA

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by HimalayanHitman, May 19, 2014.

1. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

Who carries hot tea (the kind that accepts cream and sugar ie more British than Asian ;)) I carry my Hydro Flask which keeps stuff hot so I was thinking of keeping hot water in there and having cream in some sort of smaller bottle/flask and carry a container of sugar. Has anyone tried this method of carry and does it work (I would also carry a reusable coffee mug cup thing to mix the ingredients in)?

Does anyone even carry hot tea or am I odd for wanting to EDC this?

2. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Cream in tea?!?! Are you avin a giraffe?

Sometimes I'll have a flask of the good stuff, a Stanley flask that was revived after I lost the bung in a mountaineering hut, so nicked the one from my girlfriends'.

ghostyjack likes this.
  3. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm guessing you don't like cream in tea lol.

4. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Couldn't think of anything worse. Cream goes in coffee, milk goes in tea (semi skimmed n'all, the only way to go)

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  5. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ahh got ya, I use cream due to my grandfather guess some things stick (my dad uses honey).

6. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Honey!?!?! Now I've heard it all!

7. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lol, yes you have. Too funny.

8. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

A passage from one of my favourite books:

"Tea was once a good drink; with lemon and sugar it tastes very pleasant. But then the British decided to put cold milk and no sugar into it. They made it colourless and tasteless. In the hands of the English, tea became an unpleasant drink, like dirty water, but they still call it 'tea'.

Tea is the most important drink in Great Britain and Ireland. You must never say, 'I do not want a cup of tea,' or people will think that you are very strange and very foreign."

Written in 1946, true to this day.

9. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yup still true I have drunk everything from very cheap tea to very expensive tea and the cheap stuff (which I would EDC) needs all the help it can get. May I ask what book this is seems interesting by this short passage?

10. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

It's called 'How to be an Alien', by George Mikes, published 1946.

It's a very short guide to British culture/people for people who are not British, and it's hilarious.

11. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Will have to take a look it does seem to be humorous.

12. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i don't carry tea.. but at home, i drink mostly english breakfast. at work.. i guess i drink english breakfast. taylor's and twinning is most of what i drink at home. at work it's pg tips during the winter. it's rather hard to boil water in the car or on the way to pick up kids. at camping, it's usually twinning's earl grey or english breakfast. been having bit of taylor's scottish breakfast lately, not as strong as english bf. but i'm enjoying it. did try some yorkshire gold, but they are bit on the strong/bitter side unless i time it just right.

ghostyjack and HimalayanHitman like this.
  13. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

ghostyjack Loaded Pockets

I tend to do this for work as I spend up to two hours at a time travelling on a train to get there. I use a Contigo West Loop Stainless Steel mug, make it up before I leave, works a treat.

I also am putting together a couple of brew kits, one for work (need it for the afternoon) and another for when I'm out in the countryside. The out and about one will reside in my Maxpedition 12x5 bottle pouch, not sure on the work one yet.

Tea wise, I like either English Breakfast or Assam in the morning (usually Twinnings, but don't mind Sainsburys own), the stronger flavour helps wake me up; Yorkshire Gold is also pretty good. Later in the day I like to go for Twinnings Everyday tea, very easy to drink and fairly light.

Was thinking about taking some of my Tea Palace loose-leaf Russian Caravan (lovely strong, smoky flavour), but I've yet to sort out how to carry it. Love this stuff, drink it when I get home from work and on weekends.

But I've got to say, cream!!! Oh that is sooo wrong. Milk all the way, preferably semi-skimmed. Now I don't mind honey though, it's also nice in coffee, used to be the only sweetener available in the England until we found out about sugar.

14. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I do when the weather is cold. 64oz Nissan Thermos. I usually do a big pot of oolong, black, or puerh tea, pour into thermos, add sugar and milk to taste, dispense into a smaller drinking vessel as needed. it is easier for me to add the fixins straight into the thermos before leaving for work (milk straight from the jug, a couple packets of sweetener) than carry those separately.

In my experience, the asian teas accept milk and sugar just as well as british style tea. the big difference i notice is in loose leaf vs teabags - I get more flavor out of the loose leaf than from bags.

in the warmer months, i use the same setup for cold-brewed coffee.

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I drink a lot of coffee; this thread has peaked my interest in tea, seems like it would be easier to carry around.
    I'm in the US right now; ghostjack, where can I get some of that loose leaf Russian Caravan?

16. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tea Palace does ship to the US, but seeing as Russian Caravan is a type of blend, it should be possible to do a Google search for it. There are a lot of British companies sell this blend, I can even get it from Amazon UK. Just checked Amazon.com and there was some there as well.

If you like to have a bit of smokyness, make sure there is some Lapsang Souchong in it.

17. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I did find it on-line, among many others; I didn't know there was so much to "know" concerning tea.

18. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tea is a very complex drink, but with some many different types, blends, styles and techniques, you should be able to find something you like.

Although I drink a lot of coffee myself, I do find that if you want a drink to relax with, tea is a great choice. It could also be because I'm English though, who can tell.

19. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

My aunt Burl was from England; married my uncle while he was stationed there during 2.
    She was a great lady who called me "clever boy".

20. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

There, an English link; that would explain the sudden interest in tea.