1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who carries in their maxped

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jopela, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jopela

jopela Loaded Pockets

I was practicing removing my CCW (unloaded) from the gun pocked of my maxped fatboy and I keep snagging either the top of the slide or the bottom of the mag on the zipper area. I have tried to reposition the holster (the maxped Velcro one) at different angles and I tried a full size and subcompact pistol and had the same snagging results.

Any tips you can give me to increase my draw speed out of my bag or is it hopeless?

2. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

Just remember slow is fast. Keep practicing. :)

It took me a while to get use to drawing my 1911.

3. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

I had to go to a jumbo versipack because my pistol didn't fit in the fatboy correctly. Maybe you could stuff a cloth or something in the pistol compartment...something that would force the compartment's opening apart and not interfere with your draw.

These systems will never replace a holster for speed or ease of use.

4. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Or security. When you put a gun in your bag you better d@mn well know where that bag is at ALL times. You can't set it down in public or around children etc...

5. 1ofmany

1ofmany Loaded Pockets

Yeah I agree. If you want a true fast draw, wear it on your hip. With the packs, the surprise factor should be your best asset.

6. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

Very true. If you have anything that could be dangerous to another person, it needs to be in your control at all times. This goes beyond firearms...substitute prescription drugs and you still have the potential to injure a child.

7. jopela

jopela Loaded Pockets

Believe my... my primary carry method is still my IWB @ 4:00, but there are times where that is not piratical so my maxped will be the backup method. I like the idea of a cloth or similar. If I discover a miracle trick I will let everyone know. :)

8. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

Work attire (tucked in dress shirt and tie) doesn't allow me to carry concealed on my hip in an IWB holster which is my preferred method. During the work week, I carry a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack which houses my HK USP Compact Stainless .45 with 2 extra mags. I also have a Kel-Tec PF-9 that I can carry in my front right pocket in a pocket holster and it disappears. When I carry the Kel-Tec, I carry 1 spare mag left front pocket. Even when I carry the Kel-Tec in my pocket, I still have my HK in my Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.

I don't have a problem when I draw the HK. I have big hands and my hand creates enough space when I insert it into the zippered pocket. When I grasp the HK with my fingers wrapped around the gun and my index finger straight and pull straight up, my knuckles wedge open the zipper and the gun pulls out freely.

9. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

Freddy-

ever looked into a tuckable IWB? sure, not the "fastest" draw but your gun is always on your person. my Comp-Tac MTAC is awesome. shirt, tie, jacket: no problem. jacket off and i've still had friends in LEO surprised to know i'm carrying.

just a thought.

10. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I had the same problem. The closest seam to hold down the top of the CCW pocket is the edge seam, so the zipper lacks structure and there is a lot fabric to catch. I placed a stitch line right above the top of the zipper and it solved the issue.

Here is a shot of it, please don't laugh at the straightness of the stitch that is a lot of heavy fabric to manage.

[​IMG]

11. jopela

jopela Loaded Pockets

O0 SWEET!!! I like that idea!!!

12. Porker

Porker Empty Pockets

Nice work!! :)

13. justmyluck
    • In Omnia Paratus

justmyluck Loaded Pockets

Just a thought here...I've had an instructor mention a similar thought but not with the Maxped...why wouldn't you just shoot through the bag?

Take first shot, remove gun from bag, clear the round, and shoot again.

Food for thought.

If its going to save my life, I'll gladly buy another bag.

14. Exmasonite

well, i think with a smaller, dedicated CCW bag, that's possible. but if you have the gun in the jumbo, it's pointed downward to start. the jumbo can get full... and imagine that it's being ballasted by a 2-3 lb nalgene bottle (let alone whatever else you have). i wouldn't want to have to aim while still in the jumbo.

for that, i think you're better off with a Jframe or small keltec in a pocket. just my $0.02

15. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

My EDC is an IWB holster, I use my fatboy for carrying on my motorcycle. In the unlikely event my bike and I take different routes having something large like a gun between my body and the ground will multiply my injuries so keeping it in a bag that will slide away is a compromise for safety. I am considering upgrading to a sitka as the design seem to be less likely to shift during aggresive riding.

16. Porker

Porker Empty Pockets

Agree with X.... :iagree: also best you have a wheel gun when shooting through fabric such as a bag or coat pocket....at least you are assured of a few more shots from a close range sticky situation....auto is to risky with the ejected case causing a jam.

17. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

You also get an incomplete cycling of the slide most of the time. If you try it you better make the first shot count :shocked:

18. zombie

zombie Loaded Pockets

I'll carry in my Jumbo Fatboy from time to time but it's pretty rare.

19. Exmasonite

synaptic-

have you looked at the malaga? i've taken mine mountain biking a few times. that accessory side strap does an excellent job at really cinching the bag down and keeping it in place. my worry about the sitka/kodiak is since it's DESIGNED to swing around your body so it may be more apt to do so when you least expect it. i've never had that problem with my malaga. only concern with the malaga is that it's not exactly the fastest draw/access to your gear while wearing.

20. peacefuljeffrey

No laughing here. It's awesome that you had the insight, ingenuity, skills and equipment to modify the pack to meet your need. :thumbsup: