1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who carries 2 knives and why?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by irishaj, Apr 1, 2014.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

Always carried one, but I am going to add a weak side fixed blade to the mix soon. As Elmiro posted earlier on this old thread, one is always a tool that could be used as a weapon, the fixed blade will be a backup weapon to my CCW. Thinking about the Ka Bar TDI pretty hard.

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I carry a weak side fixed even without a concealed pistol. On a ladder or while my hands are busy, it's helped many times..

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

Security situations excepted, I almost always have two knives on me, as either the Rambler or MiniChamp will be clipped to my pocket via a P-7, and a larger SAK or traditional will either be in a leather pouch or sheet of kitchen paper, either on my belt or preferably in the same pocket.

With an alox SAK or trad, I find the smaller SAK to be an essential companion as we as a family genuinely get a lot of use out of the tweezers and toothpick, which other knives omit.

Otherwise, I just find that the little knife will often be sufficient for whatever the task is, so I reach for that before grabbing the full sized one.

Disclaimer: I may have already replied to this thread; can't remember!

4. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Ever since I was a kid I've carried a knife in my pocket. It was a tool of course, but I admit considering it a last-ditch weapon as well. Given that thought I wanted a pocket knife that would function well as a weapon. First a small folding lockback, then various linerlocks over the years with blades in the 3-3.25" range.

After many years, and settling into an office job, I became acutely aware of how negatively the general public reacts when you pull out a 3.25" linerlock to open an envelope or a box from amazon. I could have ignored it and carried on, but I find that not upsetting the sheep is preferable when possible. So, I started carrying a small traditional knife for those mundane cutting tasks and wouldn't you know it, the negativity disappeared. I still carry the big knife, it just never comes out of the pocket.

These days I carry a vintage Schrade 8OT stockman as my general use knife, occasionally swapping it for a Case Barlow.
    In the other pocket, as my last-ditch defensive tool, I have a variety of 3.25" to 4" blades to pick from and rotate through them daily. The typical stable are as follows:
    Buck Vantage Large
    Lightning OTF
    Ontario Rat I
    Kershaw Skyline XL
    Kershaw Launch 6
    Ganzo Firebird FH12

So that's why I carry two knives: one for general cutting that won't scare the sheep, and one for more serious social work if necessary.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Sentinel-14: I agree with your approach totally. I'll suggest you could also have a SAK or an ALOX; something about the size and heft of say a Tinker or a Cadet are both easy carries and handy. If they're in the traditional SAK red color with the white Swiss cross on it, most of :censored: around you probably would be just as accepting as with say the stockman or the Barlow; the SAK are that well recognized.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

6. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

@Moshe ben David, a coworker of mine carries a Cadet as his general use knife and seems to really like it.

I've looked at SAKs off and on over the years since I don't have one in my collection yet, but never found one I really liked. They always have tools I can't ever see myself using, and I don't see the point of spending money on tools I won't use. The closest I have found are the Electrician Plus and the Pioneer Harvester, but of course both are discontinued and laughably expensive on the secondary market.

Really I only need my traditional knife to have two blades: one for food cutting, and one for general cutting. So even my 8OT has one blade more than necessary. Every other tool a SAK offers, I have covered by other multi-tools in my pack.

If you ever get a lead on an Elec Plus or Pioneer Harvester for around $30 though, let me know. ;)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. Krs

Krs Loaded Pockets

I usually carry 2 knives. In the past two three weeks I always had 4 knives.
    2 folding knives and 2 Swiss Army knives.

why?

I do not know to be honest. in 90% of the cases I use the SAK, 10% I use one of the folding knives, and NEVER used the other two.

8. wiener78

wiener78 Empty Pockets

I carry 2 normally, at work I have a folding Stanley-style knife (mostly cutting thick plastic strapping and other unsavory things for nicer knives) and replace the blade every couple of days and I keep a Grizzly Bushcraft folder on my person almost alway. Occasionally a Spyderco UKPK, SAK or Leatherman might join them dependent on what I'm doing. If I'm out camping or hunting I'll normally have at least a Mora Companion and a Para 2, sometimes more.

twin63 likes this.
  9. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Lately, I have a Victorinox Swiss Army Soldier for general pocket knife tasks and a Spyderco Military (left handed version) for slicey type tasks. If no Military I might have an Esee Izula II scout carry in the small of the back.

dmattaponi and twin63 like this.
  10. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

Lately I carry a classic sak sd and a spyderco roadie. They are both tiny but they suit my daily needs. This is somewhat misleading though as I rarely use the blade of the sak. I mostly carry it for the toothpick and scissors. The roadie gets all the knife tasks. I love all manor of blades for the most part but when it comes to my current job and lifestyle small slip joint knives suit all of my regular needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I always carry the small AG Russell in my wallet for discreet use accompanied with a larger folder. Today I have it paired with my titanium LionSteel Dom.

12. nwjavahead

nwjavahead Loaded Pockets

I always have a Slipjoint in pocket - it’s what every man and most woman carried as I was growing-up and have done so since I was 10y; usually a case peanut or medium stockman.

If I am working indoors tends to be PM2, if I am working outside tends to be a custom fixed. If I am off of work and headed-out Emerson.

dmattaponi, Benton629 and twin63 like this.
  13. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Actually, I always have 3 on me, my Spyderco is clipped in my pocket, both of my Leatherman each have 2 blades

dmattaponi likes this.
  14. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Sometimes
    One blade is a bit bigger and not really sharp.
    I use it mostly for prying, and other rough work.
    Second blade is smaller and sharper, and reserved for food stuff.

15. Grizzled

Grizzled Empty Pockets

I have tended to carry more knives than I needed to.

Now, most days I fell pretty well prepared bopping around town if I have a Swiss Army knife in my pocket.

dmattaponi likes this.
  16. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’ve probably answered in this thread before and said something along the lines of “one is more than enough, I could usually get by without even one knife.”

Well, yeah… while that’s still true (for me), I don’t wanna be as bombastic about it anymore.
    It does tend to happen from time to time. It’s just a practicality thing. I usually carry knives on the smaller side, so if there are days I think I might need something bigger, I just carry it in addition to my regular carry.

Like today, for instance
    [​IMG]