1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who carries 2 knives and why?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by irishaj, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Almost 4 years later still carrying the Spyderco on the Dangler in pocket and Leatherman Juice CS4 in left front pocket. Upgraded to the ZT 0301 in front cargo slit almost 3 years ago.

Don't even know how many in my EDC bag, at least 3 fixed and 7 or 8 folders...

Because I can and it is no big deal to do so 'Murica!

Moose likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean, but I'd lay odds that in certain cities/states (NYC, Philly, Chicago, California all come to mind!) it would unfortunately become a big deal in certain situations...

I sometimes find myself required to make a trip to NYC. I reduce my carry for such trips to a SAK... not that that is any guarantee, but I am placing a bet on it not being viewed as negatively as some that I prefer to carry...;)

Sigh.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

kensington, 16VGTIDave and Moose like this.
  3. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

ZT0566CF in pocket, Vic SpiritX multi on the belt. Then a BK11 and a BRKT Micro Canadian in the bag. BK11 is for wood processing if I need a small fire for cooking lunch, I work forestry and somedays a small fire is nice in the winter, and the BRKT handles most of the food processing if needed. Weekends around the house is typically a Mini Grip and a LM Charge TTi. But, have a Mora Eldris en route and will see how I like it over the weekend. May rotate out the BRKT for the Eldris for a short time.

4. FilthyJ24

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

I carry both at work and just the Altitude on my weekends. The Bailout is my beater/work knife and the Altitude serves as a backup/last resort weapon. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#184 FilthyJ24, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  5. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]I carry two almost all the time. I always carry my victorinox signature lite everyday as long as I can legally have it. And I rotate another knife usually something a bit larger. I love the signature lite because it’s perfect for my job and my daily needs pen, light, scissors, nail file/flat head and of course the knife. I try to not use that blade so it remains razor sharp for more of an emergency situation. The second knife that rotates really is the blade I use for daily cutting tasks. I work in a factory so it gets used quite a bit and enjoy switching it up for variety and I just love my knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Little knife for small job and not scare people. Big knife for bigger job and really scare people. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Basically, a knife has two purposes. Since it's one of man's oldest tools. Essentially, a tool-first, and then as a defensive weapon second. Small Swiss Army for intricate daily-tasks: like using scissors, tweezers, can-opener, or screwdriver. Larger 'primary' knife for cutting rope, cordage, cardboard, and followed-on by survival aspects, etc. The larger blade can also serve as an augment to a 'primary weapon' (e.g., firearm of choice) in jurisdictions that allow it.

[​IMG]

10i, ChrisJ and garza like this.
  8. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I always carry a keychain Opinel, which lives with my car and house keys. This is usually supplemented with a UK legal slipjoint of some sort e.g UKPK, Serge Bean etc. I will carry a locking or fixed blade if I am doing something specific e.g in the woods or work in the garden.
    I don't ALWAYS have two knives, as the Opinel is a reasonably good little knife. It's a decent slicer.

Elmiro Dungfoot and 10i like this.
  9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Does the Opinel keychain knife open when in your pocket? I have considered purchasing this knife.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  10. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Only once in about a year of daily carry, and I think it was my fault for fiddling with it in there!!! Haha. Gave me a bit of a scare! It's a really useful knife.

garza likes this.
  11. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

My concern is the knife opening without any assistance. I carry my No 6 and No 7 in a leather sleeve. I could probably make a similar leather sleeve for the keychain No 2

12. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Avoid pocket billiards!

garza and That Movie Guy like this.
  13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Or maybe a pocket dangler which is how I usually carry small blades.

14. Moshe ben David

Ya know, for most Opinel accidental blade opening is trivially easy to avoid. Just turn the collar after closing the blade; no way it will open without you turning the collar to the open position! I don't know if the very small No 2 has such; but for sure the No 6 and larger do!

Sorry to have to state the obvious. ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Opinel knifes smaller than No 6 do not have the Virobloc safety ring. I would carry the No 2 on my pocket dangler.

16. Moshe ben David

I knew there was a lower limit size-wise to which Opinel have the safety ring. I was reacting primarily to your comments on the No 6 and No 7...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The leather sleeve allows for the 6 or 7 to be carried clipped to my pocket. I try to avoid items in the bottom of my pockets.

Moshe ben David likes this.