1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who carries 2 knives and why?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by irishaj, Apr 1, 2014.

1. irishaj

irishaj Loaded Pockets

I typically always carry 1 knife. But as of late I have seen a ton of people showing that they carry 2 knifes.

If you carry 2, which ones do you carry? (Pics please!)
    And why do you carry both?

2. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

I'm carrying a little folding knife as a basic pocket knife. I also have a Ka-Bar TDI on my left side as a last ditch weapon. It won't be used unless something really goes wrong. When I find the one I'm looking for I'll be adding a SAK to my EDC as well so then I'll have three.

citoman305, Cobra 6 Actual and svfd17 like this.
  3. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I often carry four, not counting the 3 blades on my multitools (two on the Swisstool, one on the Squirt,).

One defensive folder that I can draw, open & close with one hand (used for light utility more than anything, but if I ever needed a knife to defend myself with this would be the first one I'd grab), a small fixed blade for heavier utility, a larger scandi-grind bushcraft fixie that's only used on wood, and a stainless Victorinox Bakers knife to eat with & do food-prep.

If I carry a bag there's usually a Mora Companion in there as well, just to have a sharp back-up blade & inexpensive loaner for knife-less folks.

Overdoing it? Definitely. But I just like them all too much to leave one or two behind.

And since you wanted pics, this are 3 out of the 4:
    [​IMG]

de Vries, gibbsrule9, snaplok and 3 others like this.
  4. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I typically carry 2 or 3 knives.

I have a folder in my back right pocket. I use that one for tasks that come up when I have my hands full and need a one hand opening knife or when I would prefer a traditional blade shape or grip. This is usually a spyderco Techno, but on weekends or when I'm going out to eat with the family, I usually take my dedicated food knife, a Buck Vantage 342.

On work days, I keep a Kiridashi clipped to my front right pocket next to my pen. I use this one for detail work and trimming of chaff or other residue that comes up in the machine shop of off the 3D printer. It has a fine point and a thick blade making it good for this task and it keeps me from dulling my main blade on these not exactly cutting tasks.

I also usually have my Leatherman Wave on me, but I haven't used it as a knife in a very long time. It's primary function is pliers and screwdriver. It's a very capable knife, but the large form factor doesn't make it the most comfortable to carry in my back pocket or in a way that's easy to access and open one handed.

Typical loadout:
    [​IMG]

5. Linejudgemick

Linejudgemick Loaded Pockets

I normally have 3 with me. I have a SAK Cadet on my key ring and I usually have my Leatherman Juice S2 in one pocket and one of my folders in the other pocket. I recently got a Benchmade Volli that I removed the assist from and it's making it hard to rotate in the others. I'll add a pic later today hopefully.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I should have a cut-and-paste answer for this one ready to go whenever it pops up.

I carry different tools for different purposes. Yes, there is some overlap, but each has its own unique set of uses it is best suited for. So, here we go.

Boker KeyCom. This is a very small one-hand opener keychain-sized knife with a pocket clip. 1.5" blade. It's about the size of a small USB thumb drive. I use it primarily as a pocket dangler for a Fenix E-15 flashlight. The combo of the two works very well. The flashlight serves as a fob for the knife, allowing for easy one-handed operation. The blade is small but has a nice point on the clip blade, which makes it great for when you need to pierce something to get a cut started.

Victorinox Alox Cadet. Larger more general purpose blade, flat and lightweight, and the other tools are used more often than the knife blade to be honest.

If you are counting multitools, I have a Leatherman Squirt P4 in a different pocket. It has a small blade on it, which I do have sharpened but rarely use unless I have the tool out already and need to cut something simple.

In my daily carry bag, I keep a Case Slimline Trapper, which has a single slim blade and is great for food prep tasks, which is about all I ever use it for. Stainless steel, washes up easily, good apple slicer. I may go weeks without using it, but it's light and I sometimes forget I'm carrying it. Essentially a portable small kitchen knife replacement.

I sometimes carry one completely redundant knife, whose functions could be handled by any of the above, just because I enjoy my knives and it's more like pocket jewelry at that point. This spot is usually filled by a Case Small Texas Jack, which is a 2-blade slipjoint jack knife that is slim and rides beside my wallet. This is my "rotation" slot, though for about 3 months I have been carrying either the Case STJ or nothing in that slot.

If the Boker weren't so handy as a pocket clip for the flashlight I could get by with just the SAK Cadet. I could use it (the Cadet) for food prep too since it is stainless, but the Case Slimline Trapper is better at that, and since I don't use it for anything else, I don't have to worry so much about cleaning the blade up first. I use the Cadet for any general purpose cutting tasks that come up so the blade may have packing tape residue or other stuff on it until I get around to cleaning it up good.

Here is the Boker + Fenix + Case Small Texas Jack:
    [​IMG]

The Case and the SAK Cadet:
    [​IMG]

The Case Slimline Trapper (stays in bag):
    [​IMG]

7. irishaj

irishaj Loaded Pockets

So I guess my question really applies to those that carry 2 folders on their person.

I mean I have a few blades in my bag and multiple multitools.

But wondering more about folders or pocket carries on their person

Cobra 6 Actual and AK Adventurer like this.
  8. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pocket and multi tools removed, I almost always carry two blades.

Very simple reasoning - Two is one and one is none. BUT - I don't care too much for redundancy, so two different knives are usually carried.

1) Fixed, Full tang, Straight Edged Knife - Utility knife, light prying, piercing, general cutting. (Work - Mantis Picker II, Home - ESEE Candiru).

2) Flipper, partially or fully Serrated - Fibrous material cutting (small branches, zip ties, plastic, etc) This knife usually more convenient and one handed opening.. (Work Spyderco Tasman Serrated, Home - Spyderco Endura Combo edge)

Last edited by ManVsLawn, Apr 1, 2014
  9. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Spyderco Lil' Matriarch and SAK Yeoman. If I am out in nature then I'll drop the Spyderco for the Enzo 75
    [​IMG]

10. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 Loaded Pockets

Normally 3 for me as well. Whatever EDC I decide to go with clipped in front right pocket, plus a small folder in the pocket, and a cadet or pioneer in the back pocket. Why? Because.

11. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Typically I carry 2 in this case, I carry the Skorpion for anything general, and I carry the Case Peanut for food or surgery (Ie hang nail) and anything I need a sharp fine point for. I always carry at least 2 though.

[​IMG]

12. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Of those I posted, the Boker KeyCom is clipped to the right front pocket. SAK Cadet is loose in the bottom of the right front pocket. Case Jack is carried vertically in the left rear pocket next to the wallet.

If I felt some need to minimize blade count for some reason, I would replace the Boker with a TEC suspension clip, and would just not carry the Case, relying only on the single blade of the Cadet and just sharpen and clean it more often. Recently I have only been carrying the Boker and the Cadet anyway.

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Technically, I have three knives on my person, usually all the time.

1) Strider MSC PTCC is my main blade. It very small, but can handle big chores.
    [​IMG]

2) Baledeo 15 gram is my back-up knife, small, light, and fits in my pocket tin.
    [​IMG]

3) Wenger S18 is my preferred multitool. I carry it because it has scissors, and a locking blade, plus some driver blades. I can and have carried this alone and have been fine. I will use this blade for cutting food, mostly.
    [​IMG]

14. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry three as well: main folder for whatever tasks. Izula in back left pocket if the need for heavy cutting should ever arise (hasn't yet but I don't even realize I'm carrying it) and my SAK Alox for a non-knife loving , people friendly knife and other utility.

15. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

Not counting blades on the multitool, I carry two. Big juicy folder (Strider SMF, Spydie PM2 or Manix2) that I enjoy using when I'm not likely to cause a rousing chorus of "Oh my GOD, what is THAT?!", and a nice little silver SAK Alox Cadet for those times I would.

16. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying two to three blades as of late. I will admit that I will pick a small fixed blade for the more hardcore cutting work. Then a large folder that is quick to deploy for more of a self defense thing or simply to show off to my buddies something they haven't seen in a while. Then lately I have been carrying a medium to large traditional like a stockman or a trapper even a few toothpicks for delicate fine work with a super thin and super sharp blade options. Like having a sheep's foot for certain delicate tasks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

17. CJinPa
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CJinPa Loaded Pockets

I typically have two knives with me. One being a box cutter style knife (bottom one in this picture) which I have carried for about 15 years now. I also carry a folder. The folder varies by whatever I feel like carrying that day.
    [​IMG]

18. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Spyderco Techno and SAK Alox Cadet. The Cadet acts as my multitool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gibbsrule9 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  19. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

My different blades serve different purposes.
    One for heavy and all round tasks, one for backup, and one for tight spaces and small task.

20. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I carry three on me at all times... My main knife is one of my ZT's usually, my second is normally a smaller knife (folder or small Bark River depending on need), and then I either have one of my Alox cadets or my SAK Explorer in my pocket.