1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who are the HAMs out there?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Mr. Gadget, May 30, 2014.

1. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

You should have gotten the RT Systems software, I get it for every radio I own and once a program is created you can drag and drop it into other radios too. Its a bit more expensive but it works flawlessly and they even have very nice cables and some fit multiple radios, so you don't always have to buy a cable.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

On the Chirp website there are pretty good troubleshooting tips for getting the cable identified correctly efore the transfer from PC to Radio work like they should.
    I do not pretend to understand why or how it can work in one direction and not the other depending on the driver used but I can tell you that it did for me.

Also there is a nice feature in Chirp that allows for loading a database from the Web that you can define the features of before loading so I was able to load up my area repeaters easily which sort of surprised me!

It did take a lot of dicking around to get working the first time and even then I didn't pay enough attention to rememeber it for the next time?

On the other hand that is really about par for the course for Hams too isn't it?!?!

We get free software and then get frustrated with it.

3. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Loaded Pockets

I am not sure from other radios but I think with the baofeng it may be with cables and drivers to be used to program them. Once I get a mobile I will use chirp to try to program the radio.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

4. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

I like the chirp program, as I mentioned it seems pretty straight forward in its use. I like that it will open a repeater directory and make available all my local repeaters that I choose to save. I just need to figure out how to get the USB cable drivers right. (I hate, despise working with drivers!) Maybe I have an older ver radio (Perhaps it's been sitting in a warehouse for 2 years?) and the new prolific USB driver 3.06 is too new? Everytime I uninstall the USB driver, as soon as I plug the cable back in windows automatically finds the 3.06 ver drivers and installs them. I can't get them off the useless radio CD in time.
    I haven't really gone into the chirp program to use its troubleshooting suggestions yet, ran out of time last time I was trying this.
    I'm not giving up yet!

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you have not googled chirp driver problems with beofeng then you are just pissing in the wind.
    These are pretty straightforward issues and well documented too but you do need to use known fixes to get it working.
    You also need to suck data from the radio then mod it then blow it back in to the radio,this is just the way these work.

6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Try disconnecting from the Internet so windows can't find the driver.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

7. cybnew

cybnew Empty Pockets

I had those same errors, I fixed it by buying the $20 cable (after trying a cheaper one, not sure if this is your issue) and then downloading the latest release of chirp. Not sure if this will solve your problem...but it worked for me

8. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

Might be the next thing to try. I tried saving the supplied USB drivers from the CD but system could not find them anywhere when I told it to find them? I'll get the darn radio programmed eventually. (By hand if I have to!:mad:)

9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Foulwind
    I wasn't the one that programmed my Baofeng (it was a gift from my elmer after I passed the tech test) but I believe it was programmed with CHIRP and he downloaded the aftermarket English-by-a-native-speaker manual that was floating around on the interwebs (after trying and failing to understand the included manual- and this is a man that's worked with radio for his entire life). I have my copy (printed off) in my lap as I'm typing this- there's a manual specifically for programming memories from miklor.com, and the rest of the manual is titled "Baofeng UV-5R: The (Chinese) Radio Documentation Project" and the URL on it is radiodoc.github.com. I've read the manual. It's good enough that the brand-new-to-radio me could understand it. I don't know if they cost anything (or if they're still out there) but even if they do it's worth it. Hope this helps!

kd7dvd likes this.
  10. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

Thanks to edjo069 I ordered the RT system software for my particular radio (UV-82L) should have it Tuesday or Wednesday this week. The software looks very similar to CHIRP and hopefully it'll work to program the radio. Otherwise I'm sending it back (Software that is.) I'll see here in a few days!

11. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I use it on all my radios (including a few Baofengs) and I have never had an issue, ever, you will love it!

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Chirp is not the problem.
    Getting the cable and the drivers going is.
    If your Windows will not see the cable correctly no software change will fix that. The cables are highly variable and the drivers need to match the cable you are trying to use.

Like I have said repeatedly and found myself too there is good help on the Mikor site that explains exactly how to get it working but you need to understand the options and then follow the instructions.

Hope you make some progress.

13. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Foulwind, I am hoping you bought the software with their cable??

14. nikao

nikao Loaded Pockets

I got mine YES:bounce:. How was the Baofeng programming, heard it is rough?

thatotherguy likes this.
  15. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I was successful programming a Baofeng with the cheap cable and chirp ON A MAC, but a lot of four letter words escaped my lips in the process. I think I'm going with the RT systems for my new mobile. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

nikao and RogerStenning like this.
  16. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

Ez I heard you, I looked through the chirp program help and nothing worked. Chirp wasn't the problem, the USB driver is/was the problem. (Guess I got what I paid for @$16) New software & cable haven't arrived yet, (Maybe tomorrow?) I'm confident it will work. I suspect the software is not in Chinese!

17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well if not I can get you the cable for under $10 that works with mine so I know the drivers for it are available.
    It is a shame that something as mundane as a copied cable not functioning predictably could bring this thing to a halt but I guess the cable cloners need to eat too?
    Let me know.

18. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Its made right here in Colorado, I have been to their shop, right where they make the software, they are great people, all active Hams and they love visitors, they even gave me a hat last time I was there, A+ people and business

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I will be in Co. Tomorrow,where are they exactly?

20. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

RT Systems
    510 Compton Street
    Broomfield, CO 80020

EZDog

Last edited by edjo69, Aug 6, 2015