1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who are the HAMs out there?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Mr. Gadget, May 30, 2014.

1. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

Go for it. There are some free practice exams on qrz dot com / ham test. They are a great way to practice. Also google hamuniverse for a ton of great info. Any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm an Extra for a few years now and it has been a total blast.

2. jtcannonball

jtcannonball Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice and help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maze likes this.
  3. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

4. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

NP

5. jtcannonball

Is all this math/formula knowledge something you will really use as a HAM operator? Or is it the government holding on to it's old rules? Ohm's law is something as a former car audio installer I'm very aware of, but how often when you buy a setup that's ready to go do you even do any calculations with Ohm's law?

6. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

You'd only really need math if you are DIYing. Many Hams design their own antennae and need to take into account resistance, impedance and the like. It isn't about the government, its about electronics theory with respect to propagation and equipment, and regulations. To answer your question directly, you could buy a dual-bander for your car, along with cable and an antenna and not need a calculator at all. But if you design an antenna, you need to be concerned with Max Power Transfer, line impedance. You could also design your own circuitry.

FWIW, I had a 25 year career as an electronics tech in the avionics field. I haven't touched Electronics theory at all, other than to study for the General and AE exams.

7. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

I agree. It depends. I use it all the time because I build antenna and transceivers. But for a casual operator, it's mostly knowledge to have so you know what you don't know when you need to know it.

jtcannonball likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Also as far as the Tests are concerned you certainly don't need more than a practical working knowledge as the questions are multiple choice.

Those online tests we referred to are the actual questions from the pool of questions that comprises the test,so the ones yo will get in the test yo should already have seen and answered beforehand.

It actually kind of sucks that they have dumbed it down to that level but alas they have and no one even needs to know code at all anymore for any class they test into.

Obviously as mentioned already you sure might need more detailed knowledge depending on what you want to do once you start playing with things but that is really aside form the testing in general.

Blues-90 likes this.
  9. jtcannonball

[​IMG][​IMG]

I don't do the memorize questions routine, I try to understand the information in full. I'll study the test questions after I read and take notes to get the basics down.

Omega Man, ran23 and kd7dvd like this.
  10. jtcannonball

So I'm thinking the exam this Friday might be a bit soon. Anybody know why there seems to be a study guide online for pre and post July 2014?

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Usually this is because the question pool is about to change.
    Since you will not be relying on memorizing the questions this should not be an issue for you.

Good Luck

12. jtcannonball

I'm a beyond worse case scenario kind of guy when it comes to things like this, so I automatically assumed it was something far more scary than changing out a question pool. LOL

13. Ttown

Ttown Loaded Pockets

I don't have much experience myself, but my father and his father have both owned and used HAM radios a lot. On rainy days when I was little I used to listen to my grandfathers.

14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

EZdog, thanks for sharing how to prep for the test. I have been pondering getting a HAM license for years. Like JTC stated it is at least a fun and useful hobby. In the event of an emergency, natural or man-made, the abilitly communicate when cell phone systems are down or one is out of communication ranges of normal cell systems, a HAM radio can be a vital life saving tool.

15. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I used "ham test online"; Google it for the URL. Although it's a paid site, I felt the automatic re-questioning of incorrectly-answered questions really helped me. On the day I took the General and AE exams, I left work at lunch and drove to a Barnes and Noble near the VEC, where I got myself a large coffee, found an empty comfy chair and used their Wi-Fi to access HTO and run through quite a few practice exams. When I was finished and satisfied, I left and went to take the exams. I was fortunate enough to ace the General and had just one wrong on the AE. That site worked for me as I could continually practice exam after exam.

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used hamexam IIRC (it's been about a year since I've gotten my ticket). Free access to practice tests pulled from the actual question pool, you get to see what you got wrong and the correct answer for it. It really helped me.
    My advice to someone taking the test is to not worry too much about it. Focus on learning the knowledge and the test scores will follow. If you don't do well, you can either go home and study some more or your VEs may allow you to take another version of the test then and there. Don't stress it.
    I haven't used any of the math that I learned to get licensed yet, but I'm running premade rigs (a Baofeng UV-5RE+ and an old Kenwood TM-201A hooked up to a magmount antenna). If you're making or modifying any of your own gear you will need the math. I also haven't used Q-codes, but that's no excuse not to learn them if you can.
    I would say to find a net or something and listen for a while to get the feel of how others operate, and (at least in this area) a net is an almost surefire way to get a contact. There's almost always someone listening afterwards.

Last edited by thatotherguy, Aug 9, 2014
  17. MOT1

MOT1 Loaded Pockets

KB4MOT is my callsign. I am usually on NC PRN MotoTRBO network.

18. whoppo

whoppo Loaded Pockets

Extra class.. first licensed in the late 70's.. active on 160 m through 23 cm although I'm particularly fond of vintage gear and AM phone.

19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

20. Owen57

Owen57 Empty Pockets

M6KOP - UK foundation holder. So I get HF, but only 10W
    Still I made Brazil using a dipole :)