1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whistles On Keychains, why?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Sarky, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum, it was the nearest I could see for this question. Some of you carry whistles on your keychains. I have one in my Snugpack bag but have never considered it important enough to put on my keychain.

So, I was wondering in what circumstances you whistle-carrying guys feel you're likely to require one in your daily life? It's probably a naive question, but I've really never thought about it before.

2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've always wondered about this too. Personally, I cant think of a more useless fob to put on my keys.

HybridMomentsPass and ATF like this.
  3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Whistles are an old and long-standing means of communication because they just work so well. They can be a great way to get attention without using a lot of breath - either because you're in trouble or you just need someone to see where you are.

Personally, I don't carry one on my keyring, but I could see why someone would choose to do so.

Sniperx7, Blerv and dmattaponi like this.
  4. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I can whistle extremely loudly with just my mouth; I don't use my fingers. It's something I taught myself years and years ago. It is a very handy skill. Perhaps that's why I have such disdain for extraneous whistles.

5. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

It beats screaming yourself hoarse. I've got a Fox 40 Micro, which is a slim, lightweight, pealess whistle on my keychain. It doesn't encumbrance me, why not?

Segarshm and surefire7 like this.
  6. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I was just thinking it'd be nice to be able to control my kids with them, like the captain in Sound Of Music. Then, I'd definitely EDC one. :D

Actually I did think of using one to get attention when in trouble, which is why I take one on camping/climbing trips, but I wondered if there were other reasons I'd never thought of.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

jlagman, I'm certainly not knocking it. I'm just curious as to what some people's reasons might be.

8. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Sumoning first aid on a construction site.

9. Vader9900
    • The Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

I have one on my boat keychain as a backup to the airhorn. Now that I think of it, it's pretty useless with the keys in the ignition. I need to put it on a quick release clip.

Tony Sal and rickinFL like this.
  10. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

whistles make great signalling device in duress.. at times when I may be dehydrated and lips dry, or stranded at sea with waves splashing at my face, I know for sure a whistle is easier to blow than using my lips alone to generate noise..

Gnarly likes this.
  11. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

I live in Manhattan and have often speculated on how many people would have made out of the WTC 11 years ago if they had had some of the basic gear we talk about on this forum. A flashlight to see when the electriicity went out; a bandana and some water to filter out enough dust to make it to a stairway and yes, a whistle to let first responders know they were still there could - I sincerely belive - have saved hundreds of lives. I carry these items every day with the hope that they will never be needed for these purposes, but with the practical consideration that stuff happens, and can indeed happen again.

12. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I'm retired and go hiking almost daily. If I needed to summon help, I could use the whistle to attract the attention of other bikers and hikers in the area. I have a phone but it doesn't always get a strong signal.

PS I can't whistle without "extraneous" aids.

LukeK, mrlysle and Gnarly like this.
  13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I don't have one on my keychain, but do have one in my wee backup kit in my bag I can easily access if needed. Depending on the activity I am doing I will also move it to a lanyard around my neck for easier access when appropriate.

My reasoning is pretty much as above - it is a simple and reliable method of getting attention - a piercing 100+db blast on a whistle will be far louder, more noticeable and carry better than my voice will and can be kept up for far longer compared to a voice that will quickly tire. If you imagine getting attention on a work site for example, a shout will get lost in the general noise of people, while a whistle will be instantly noticeable. Up in the mountains a whistle will carry for a far greater distance than my voice could and increase the chance of someone hearing. For a modern 'preparedness' option consider being trapped in the aftermath of a disaster - a whistle will be the most efficient and reliable way of alerting the emergency services to your location and situation.

One of those items I hope I never need to use in an emergency, but given the tiny size and negligible weight it seems silly not to carry one in my kit somewhere, if perhaps not on my keychain (which is already big enough as it is).

14. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

I used to use mine everyday. Maybe not blow it but have it at the ready. During my range inst. days it was a must. Especially in high noise areas. So.. as I have noted in other threads my whistle as an edc item is a product of my past experiences. I guess I am just used to having it. Fox-40s are what I go through. I edc a micro but they eventually need replacing.

Gnarly likes this.
  15. crazysgt

crazysgt Loaded Pockets

The "whistle" can be heard much further than any man's scream. Also like someone else says, takes lil to no breath.

Gnarly likes this.
  16. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

One on my boat keychain because it is the law. One on my person when riding bike. If I lived in an earthquake zone, I'd carry one on my main keychain. Like the rest have said, requires less effort to call attention.

mrlysle and Gnarly like this.
  17. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I have been on a picket line enough to carry a noisemaker.

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Earthquakes are another good reason to carry a whistle.

mrlysle and Gnarly like this.
  19. ac7ss
    • +1 Supporter
    • The Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I carry one on my safety vest (Orion safety whistle). A low volume option for my air horn (105db vs 115db) used for safety reasons. If I were hiking I would have one ALWAYS on my person, much easier to use that a natural whistle. Normally, walking/driving, I don't carry it.

I have a Fox40, but haven't used it yet.

20. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Carry on keychain...easy access. Most likely on person/ in pocket.

Tony Sal and Skawtty like this.