1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whipmaking and small cord

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by cupioarcanamundi, Feb 9, 2010.

1. cupioarcanamundi

cupioarcanamundi Empty Pockets

The other day I was looking at some beautiful roohide whips with some very neat and intricate plaiting and I found myself wishing that I could do tapering one my nylon whips like leather whip makers. Does anyone know of a small, flat cord? I am looking for something like coreless paracord but narrower; the stuff I have is nice and flat but is about 5mm wide and I would like to also find something that is maybe 3mm wide and still flat. I don't necessarily need the tensile strength of paracord, though would like the final product to hold up to abuse that way paracord does. Nylon, or some other synthetic, is also nice as it would keep the final product weather resistant and easily washable. Any ideas?

Stephen

2. pacificfirebrush

pacificfirebrush Empty Pockets

Hi Stephen,
    You need dacron. I started using it for my whips for the same reasons you listed above. I get mine coreless from Steve Koliski over at www.21stcenturywhips.com . Dacron is flat and about 3mm wide, and I believe it has around the same tensile strength as Nylon. Steve was the first one to use it for whips, he uses it for his "Apex" line. When I tried it, I was struck by how much more fluid the whip comes out, I had been using coreless paracord, dacron gives it a feel much closer to a roohide whip. The dowside is that it's only available in black and white, so if you like to plait a lot of different colors it's limited in that regard. Tell Steve I sent you. Happy cracking and plaiting,
    Tyler

3. cupioarcanamundi

Thanks Tyler. I think this will work, though I will need to get some and see what it is like. How soft or stiff is dacron rope? It looks like it only comes in white and black anywhere I can find it, though I have read some stuff on how to dye it. Any ideas how this would affect the rope's suppleness and durability? I think I will need to pick up a few hundred feet of this and play around with it, but it might be exactly what I am looking for.

Stephen

4. cupioarcanamundi

Oh, by the way, welcome to EDCF Tyler. When you get a chance, you should go say hello in the new member section. Hope you enjoy your stay here on the forums.

Stephen

5. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

have you considered type 1A paracord ? It's only 1/16" diameter but is composed solely of a sheath without a core and doesn't come in as many colors.I've seen it in green,black,white and I think red IIRC.Here's green and white if you're interested.

6. pacificfirebrush

pacificfirebrush Empty Pockets

Hey Y'all,
    Thanks for the welcome, Stephen! I really like these boards. As for dacron, it's very flexible but strong. It makes for a very supple, flexible whip. If you've ever handled a kangaroo hide 12 plait whip, the dacron has a much closer feel to that than paracord does. My Paracord whips feel alot stiffer to me than the ones I made out of dacron. I've never thought about dyeing it, it depends on how they manufacture it. If it's solution dyed, where they add pigment to the chemical mix before it's extruded into it's fiber form, I don't think it would dye very well. Synthetics like nylon are pretty dye resistant. (I just got my IICRC carpet cleaning certification for my regular bill paying job back in December, so this stuff is still fresh in my mind) It would be interesting to try though. I don't think it would harm the fibers to try bleaching or dyeing it, as far as hurting the durability. Since it's thinner, it takes a suprisingly longer amount of time to cover a given area. When I get done with my wife's black and red matched bulls I'm going to do myself an 8' bull with the first belly or two in paracord and the overlay in dacron and see how I like the blend. Chief, Thanks for the link on type 1a. I'd heard of that before but hadn't really been able to find any info. I usaully use a 16 plait overlay with the dacron, so that would probably take a 24 or 32 plait-I'm going to have to develop my skills further before I try that. On the other hand, it would have a higher tensile strength than leather, so you wouldn't have to worry about breaking strands, and it probably would make for a very supple, responsive whip...interesting...

7. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

Walmart has some green flat braided nylon cord(size #18) in the fishing tackle section of the store. I posted about it in the lanyard thread a couple years back. It's inexpensive and might work well for your purpose with it being thin and flat.