1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

which wrist?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bubbaskyjacker, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Loaded Pockets

i have always wondered why most people wear their watch on their left wrist. (when they are right handed) i used to wear mine on my right wrist but i changed it to my left because i got tired of people asking me if i was left handed. so if you know why you should wear your watch on the oppsite of your dominate hand please let me know

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I never really thought much about it, but it probably has to do with most people being right-hand dominant; if you're doing stuff with your dominant right hand, you can check the time easily by looking at the watch on your left (assuming the left is unoccupied). Also, I think it'd be much harder to put on a watch with my non-dominant hand, not to mention the fact that the crown would be facing the wrong way (rightie watch on left wrist).

It makes me wonder: are there any non-custom watches available for lefties?

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I am a lefty and wear a watch on my left wrist.

I could not adjust it as easily if I wore it on my right arm.

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Since the dominant hand does not have a watch on it, the watch is less likely to get damaged.

What would make a left-handed watch special? I actually prefer my watch crowns on the arm (not hand) side, so it doesn't jab into my hand.

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I have always thought that this was the reasoning behind it.

Dan

6. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Loaded Pockets

thoes all sound preety good reasons. i found a citizen that has the screw in crown on the 7 o clock location, good for for the left wrist with out the poking.

7. Brickout

Brickout Loaded Pockets

I believe it goes back to men always dressing to the left (women to the right). Watch and wallet (mines on the right) on the left, belt goes in starting on the left and so on. I think this go back to the days when royalty were dressed by woman. Since most people were right handed, the men were dressed in a mirror image of the women dressing them.

Seems plausible to me.

8. Hikingcamper

Hikingcamper Empty Pockets

I am rightie but I find wearing my watch on right hand is far more comfortable, same reason - the crown pointing to my arm, non-poking, but most of the time I wear it on my left hand for the sake of others :rolleyes:

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

This doesn't make any sense, because the royalty of both genders would be dressed by someone else, not just the men. In fact, it's probably more likely then and *today* that women, with their more complicated and fancy clothing would be dressed by someone else.

Most people in general are right handed, and that acceptance of left-handed behavior might be even less than it is today - therefore the person dressing you would be right-handed. Women's clothing still has this on zippers - the zipper pull is attached on the left side. In Europe and Asia, both male and female clothing is "zipped left".

It's a huge annoyance if you're used to the opposite.

10. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Although I previously stated that my understanding was one wore a watch on the less dominant hand to avoid damaging the watch, upon reflection, there was a time that I wore my watch on my right hand (even though I am right-handed). Not sure why though, I was young... Funniest part is that it was a camouflage wrist band with Velcro closures and a Velcro flap that covered the watch. Presumably, this Velcro cover was to prevent any reflection that might cause you to be seen. However, checking the time required RIPPING open the Velcro cover, which would surely give away your location :laugh:

This reminds me of that Monty Pyton sketch "how not to be seen"...

Dan

:)

11. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

Because watches are set up for righties? When a watch is worn on the left a right hander can operate the crown without removing the watch... In the day watches had to be wound daily, adjusted often...

Course, as usual, I am not one to speak being ambidextrous... :-X

12. stronzza

stronzza Loaded Pockets

On the left hand...'cause I'm right handed..... :idiot2:

13. Jbo

Jbo Empty Pockets

I am right handed and wear my watch on my left wrist.