1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which 'Traditional' Knife 'Patterns' Do You Most Favor?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Moshe ben David, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

There is a thread here dedicated to Traditional Knives. But it sort of follows our usual thread style, e.g., what is is in your pocket today, etc.

I'm curious as to which 'patterns' are the most popular. I could kind of guess, but it will be more fun to see the responses. At least that is what I hope!

These are mine; I've also indicated the makers I mostly have; roughly ranked in terms of most represented in my collection:
    • Swiss Army Knives (either the celidor scales or Alox)
    • Medium and large stockman (Case, Rough Rider, Old Timer, Buck)
    • Medium and large trapper (Case, Rough Rider)
    • Peanut (Case, Rough Rider, Frost)
    • Barlow (Rough Rider)
    • Sod Buster (Case)
    • Peasant (Opinel)
    I have a few 'odd balls' also; e.g., a Texas Toothpick from Case. I have yet to acquire any true friction folders (e.g., Svord), although I am intrigued by them. Nor have I yet dedicated funds to any of the custom knife makers; Michael Morris in particular is on my 'bucket list'.

Tear drop handles and saddle horn handles also attract me. But I've kind of slowed down my collecting. Fixed income will do that to ya!

Looking forward to thoughts from the rest of you!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Last edited by Moshe ben David, Oct 6, 2017
    #1 Moshe ben David, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    twin63, c_nieporte and SV-97 like this.
  2. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Alox is great, rly love it!
    Even tho I also like Carbon...[​IMG]

Water-Rat, Lellobeetle and Tallboyjim like this.
  3. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

Improved trapper (GEC)
    Congress in all sorts(GEC)
    Yet to acquire a Barlow but really like their asthetics

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Pub knife?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Exactly, it's a great little keychain knife, especially in environments where knifes are not that appreciated... As a student in German I have quite a few problems with that :/

SV-97 likes this.
  6. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Stockman
    Whittler

7. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I got one of those recently, really nice knife. Punches far above its weight.

8. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Alox spearpoint - or Celidor, I like them both and have them both. I also love the Case Sodbuster. It was one of two "group" knives one of my Facebook groups decided to get with our logo/year etched on the blade. Other is the Kershaw Link (with logo/year on handle)

[​IMG]

9. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

I only have two patterns, so I have a very limited "preference" reference. I have a large Case stockman and two Case mini-trappers (one a classic two blade, and the other a single wharncliffe). I did rather extensive research before deciding on the classic mini-trapper, but am glad I picked it as I really can't see anything topping it. The only thing is, I don't particularly like the polished surfaces, as they show smudges and finger prints too easily, so I carry it in my pocket with all my change so it will get a "natural" satin finish. So, my limited choice is a mini-trapper.

10. Strokednbored

Strokednbored Empty Pockets

My Favorite is the Case 48 pattern - Slimline trapper
    Pattern 62048 to be precise - 2 blades - 1 clip, 1 spey

The same length as the Large trapper, but shorter from the spine to back spring, with long thin blades to get into tight spaces.
    The Spey blade is perfect for dealing with little brook trout and small game.

My grandfather, father, uncle, brother and I all have matching knives that we all got when we each started hunting.

I couldn't tell you how many fish, rabbits, pheasants, turkey and deer those several knives have processed, but its a large number.

They aren't necessarily the coolest looking of the old "patterns" to most, but i've found it to be one of the most functional.

EDIT: and yes, that was my first post after lurking around here for 2 years. haha.

J_C likes this.
  11. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Stockman: My number one favorite is the stockman. I LOVE the sheepsfoot blade, and I'm truly baffled as to why it isn't used on more classic slipjoint folders. To me, it makes a whole helluva lot more sense than a small spearpoint blade. A special shout out to the old carbon steel Shrade Old Timers: the monster 8OT, the perfectly EDC sized 34OT, and the itty-bitty 108OT. Not only were these affordable, but the build quality was actually really good. These were the knives that made me start looking at traditional slipjoints instead of tactical folders. I treasure the ones I have.

Elephants Toenail: This pattern is absurdly large and the huge size means that you can go wild on the scales. Not what I'd consider an every day knife, but a lot of fun when you're looking to get attention.

Case Cheetah: The swing-guard is a mechanical delight, and the knife is big, useful, and sexy. Although it looks very West Side Story, it's more of a utility knife than combat knife in my opinion. This is another knife that will make people ooh! and ah!

Slimline Trapper: This pattern is a sleek, sexy little gentleman's knife. I like the thin profile and long blade.

Peanut: The peanut is a teeny-tiny powerhouse. It's amazing what you can do with a knife this tiny, and the Case versions come with a lovely polish some really beautiful scales.

Sodbuster: This is one of my favorite patterns. I love the drop points with the deep belly, the comfortable handles, and the stout mainspring. A well made sodbuster is a joy to behold.

Buck 110: The king of traditional lockbacks. You couldn't buy a similarly sized lockback with the same level of fit, finish, and bank-vault solidity for $100 and yet you can score a 110 for under $30. It is an astonishingly good knife for the money.

Texas Jack: I have a Case Small Texas jack in amber bone, and it is gorgeous; easily the most beautiful slipjoint in my collection. The caramel color fades in and out of the creamy bone, and the jigging of the scales really brings out lovely little details. The picture doesn't really do it justice, but trust me, in person, it is stunning. If it had a proper sheepsfoot blade as instead of the small spearpoint blade I'd consider it perfect.

[​IMG]

12. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

· Sodbuster – My favorite traditional pattern. Maybe not the most versatile, but a real workhorse.

· Medium Sowbelly Stockman – Feels like it was made for my hand, plus it’s hard to beat the
    blade-set.

· Copperhead – I’m not really sure what draws me to this pattern, but I like the looks, it’s
    comfortable to hold, and the 2 blades make it a good utility knife.

· Buck 110 – Classic. Mine will still be in the family long after I’m gone.

· Swiss Army Knife – I have several (celidor and Alox). It’s hard to pick a favorite, but I always
    have a SAK in my pocket.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Full size trapper. This is not the most aesthetically pleasing Case I own but the one with the best steel by far. Very sharp.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rfpd29 and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Stockman patterns and two-blade jacks are my most often carried. Primarily Case brand, though others make it into my pockets once in a while, as do the occasional single-bladed slipjoints. I've never bothered to tally up everything in the collection by pattern type. I am just going by what I usually take with me during the day.

15. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Loaded Pockets

I like traditionals in the size of 3.5-4" closed range. I went through a short stockman phase, but I never used the additional blades much. I'm back to favoring single or double bladed jack knives with pen blade.

GEC 15
    GEC 73 single blade trapper
    GEC 47 swayback wharncliffe

Case Sowbelly Chestnut CV

I still like a good 4" Stockman too.

16. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

GEC #25 or #15 are my favorite pattern, due to their pocket and people friendly disposition. Of course, they cut really well too!

(picture is #25 in red linen micarta)[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

17. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’ve always been partial to Swiss Army knives or similar style. My first knife was not a SAK, but a similar style and I have had a SAK every since.

18. Silvaticus

Silvaticus Loaded Pockets

Peasant/ Opinel for me

[​IMG]

Water-Rat likes this.
  19. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Umm, I'd have to say it's the "Buck 110 and camp knife" style knives. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Rfpd29 and sungame like this.
  20. Jerryd6818

Jerryd6818 Empty Pockets

Camillus 72 Carpenters & Whittlers knife and it's various clones (Schrade 863, Remington R-14, etc, etc). If I were limited to one knife, that would be it.
    [​IMG]

Next on the "I like 'em" pole are the medium jacks at 3¼" - 3-3/8" closed. This is a Camillus 14 with Indian Stag handles (Delrin)

[​IMG]

Followed by almost anything with a Wharncliffe blade, like the GEC #48 Improved Trapper.

[​IMG]

Or the Case 07W Mini-Trappers.

[​IMG]

I'm also still addicted to Doctor knives but seldom ever add another one to the pile.

[​IMG]

Water-Rat likes this.