1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Swiss Army Knife would you chose for urban EDC ? - Show me your SAK for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by morang, Apr 12, 2014.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry an Alox Cadet and it is a freakishly useful tool for me!

I don't ever need a corkscrew and can not remember the last time I opened a bottle that need a cap lifter?

I also EDC a Spirit X with the Cadet and also a Pocketwrench and between these 3 tools I rarely run into anything I can't handle without needing to return to the vehicle for dedicated tools.

My use is more industrial I suppose than casual but the SAKs that I have are up to the task regardless!

Nenavist and garza like this.
  2. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Carrying a Pioneer in my pocket and a classic with my housekey. Good combo.

I use the awl for all package\box opening tasks to preserve the edge on the main blade.

Nenavist likes this.
  3. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

ALOX Cadet
    ALOX Pioneer
    ALOX Soldier

When I carry a SAK it is one of those and they are just fine for urban/suburban use. Mostly.

I do love the pliers on my LMs

Nenavist likes this.
  4. SAKoutdoors101312

SAKoutdoors101312 Loaded Pockets

95% of the time, I carry a Spartan. The other 5% is either the Farmer, Pioneer, or Compact. I find those are the tool selections that fit me best. I simply find that I don't really need anything else most days. I do have other options in my bag though

Nenavist likes this.
  5. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Huntsman for me (still, I must say). I wanted to change it, downsize my EDC knife but it never happened. :)
    I don't like phillips screwdriver (as the T, it is pretty short) and I often open wine bottles so it's corkscrew for me - that keeps me away from aloxes unfortunately. And I need scissors OR at least a woodsaw as I don't have much use for the blade or other "Spartan" things usually (apart from the small screwdriver on can opener). So I've got the Huntsman and the only other option in the 91mm line is the Climber which I'm not sure is different enought to justify the payment (I've got other SAKs in different bags and pouches already lol). Custom alox copy of celidor Huntsman is far too pricey here.
    I'm eyeing the Farmer and Pioneer X though ... :D

Nenavist likes this.
  6. thebruce

thebruce Loaded Pockets

I really struggle with carrying SAKs. I can't seem to let something like a Cadet or Pioneer replace my folder, and I have a Classic on my keychain anyway. That really just leaves the cap lifter, and I have a million of them anyway. I inevitably end up ditching the larger SAK even though I love them. They were a gateway for me into the EDC world but I'm in a different place now.

7. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Alox Rambler on my keys. Use it more often than my Benchmade MiniGrip.

Nenavist likes this.
  8. rev98

rev98 Empty Pockets

Alox Cadet with TEC P7 clip has worked well for me.

Nenavist likes this.
  9. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

I don't know why but a few days ago I realized I got scared of the cellidor scales of my EDC knives (usually Huntsman/Spartan, sometimes Camper) will crack. I really don't know why this feeling appeared so suddenly ... :O
    So I removed the scales of all my cellidor SAKs, cleaned and sharpened the knives, used epoxy and vice to glue the scales and knives together and put those knives onto a shelf until such time I'll lose my scale-phobia ...

Anyway, I ordered an alox Pioneer X to be my new EDC knife ... which I'm sure won't have any scale trouble lol.

I would prefer the Farmer because I'd like to have the woodsaw but I know I use the scissors all the time and the woodsaw on small vics almost never ... so ... right ... :)

Nenavist likes this.
  10. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

11. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

For urban EDC, I choose the Pioneer X. I find I use the scissors, bottle opener and tip on can opener for phillips head the most. The wood saw is nice but in urban environment, I wouldn't use it nearly as much as the scissors and for EDC I don't want to step up to the fieldmaster or huntsman to have both.

#151 SOS24, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Nenavist likes this.
  12. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I just can't narrow it down. I do carry a Cadet but I can't pass up the Classic signature light for its usefulness.

Nenavist likes this.
  13. Yablanowitz
    • +2 Supporter

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I can't help with anything "urban" because, well, I'm not and have no intention of ever being a city dweller. Thus I have no recent experience with urban conditions. This fulfills my more rural needs rather well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A.B., Safetyfast and Nenavist like this.
  14. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

The Wenger Traveler and Victorinox Manager for me today.
    [​IMG]

15. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Which clip is attached to the Manager? I am looking for a similar clip for my keychain.

16. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

I carry an SAK classic alox or a cadet. I prefer the classic bc it is so small and non-threatening. All I ever use it for is opening boxes or bags, so a larger knife isn't necessary. I have a job where I'm at a desk and sometimes outside doing field work. If I'm outside I usually have pruners and take my farmer in my backpack.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nenavist likes this.
  17. SlimJim16v

SlimJim16v Loaded Pockets

What I'd like would be an old Alox Cadet Voyageur, knife, scissors and bottle opener/screwdriver. Failing that, I'll probably get a custom titanium version.

18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

If the scales cracking is worrying you at all, it is worth remembering that they can be easily replaced. Rather than shelving them because you are worried about something that might not actually happen, why not keep them in the rotation, see how the scales fare, and should the worst happen down the road then you will be able to replace the scales as needed.

If scales cracking turns out to be a regular issue, maybe then I would consider shelving them, but honestly I can't really see too much of an issue - I have handled some very old and well used tools, and seen virtually no serious damage to the scales.

Moshe ben David and Nenavist like this.
  19. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Which would I choose for urban environment...Victorinox Explorer Plus.

Nenavist and Lucb like this.
  20. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Compact w/ backside Phillips and awl mod, perfect EDC urban and rural.

[​IMG]