1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Swiss Army Knife would you chose for urban EDC ? - Show me your SAK for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by morang, Apr 12, 2014.

1. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cadet :) [​IMG] imo best vic ever made for pocket/urban/peoplefriendly knife

Nenavist, Moshe ben David and 313 like this.
  2. 313
    • +1 Supporter

313 Uber Prepared

Having carried one for a while now, I concur. It rides along perfectly with any kind of pockets and just looks and feels so classy. And it's a tough little bugger when it comes to it.

Nenavist likes this.
  3. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

I've been toting either a Compact, Pioneer, Spartan or Climber for my urban needs. The Compact is the latest pickup and it's really ticking all the boxes for me. I like the idea of the Cadet, but I find it a little too slim for comfortable use.

Nenavist likes this.
  4. SlimJim16v

SlimJim16v Loaded Pockets

Either the Rambler, or the newish Alox Pioneer X, as both have scissors.

Nenavist, Redneck Bear and O_G like this.
  5. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Super Tinker as long as I have a nail file on my keychain tool such as Micra or Classic SD. If not, Cadet which has a file.

Nenavist and Redneck Bear like this.
  6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

For just being out and about, that pretty well covers it.

bryan123 likes this.
  7. jcr

jcr Loaded Pockets

always have a manager on my key chain and a swisscard in my wallet. get used regularly.

Nenavist and O_G like this.
  8. SlimJim16v

SlimJim16v Loaded Pockets

Just got an Alox Cadet today, my first 84mm SAK. It's surprised me how much smaller and lighter than the std size it feels.
    Bantam next :)

Nenavist and 313 like this.
  9. Sofastreamer

Sofastreamer Loaded Pockets

carry a compact in my right pocket for more than 3 years. have another one as a backup in my bag. would like that toolset in an alox version, but that might never happen, so i got one with custom scales.

Nenavist and O_G like this.
  10. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Perhaps Ive already asked this here but ... I'm considering to downsize the Huntsman to a Climber but what I can't decide is if it's reasonable. What I basically need is to hear the views of others to help me realize whether I prefer the woodsaw or want to pay for the lower 3-layer profile and about 20% less weight ... LOL

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

It depends on what else you already carry, I suppose. And how you carry it.

My wallet is thick enough that I don't notice my Vic Explorer sitting beside it in my pocket. Before I started carrying my SAK in the same pocket as my wallet, 3 layers was my limit and even then, I still usually went with a 2 layer SAK for comfort.

Now I can't imagine carrying anything less than my Explorer.

--flatline

12. Redneck Bear

Thank you for your answer!

I used to carry a Vic (usually Huntsman) in my front right pocket and a folder (usually Ontario Rat-1 or Ganzo G727) in my pack (or a few times in my back right pocket, those knives are both pretty flat). Nowadays I'm often in the city so I changed the folder in my pack for another Vic (Camper) as a backup. Obviously I don't take my knives as defence tools. :)

I basically want a Spartan with scissors (=Climber), that's the bare minimum for myself. I would prefer Alox (Pioneer X probably) but I can't imagine being without my corkscrew and pin (custom Alox is not an option, too pricey here - Alox Huntsman would be nice though :) ). What I'm not sure is how much I need the woodsaw on pocket EDC knife.

At least three times I wanted to buy the Climber but the same day before ordering it I went to the woods to walk my dog and I needed to use the woodsaw to get her some larger branch (she's a pretty large German Shepherd with LAAARGE mouth and teeth :D). So I didn't order anything, thinking I need the woodsaw ... and in a few days the whole process of rethinking began again lol.

I'm thinking I could get a Climber for pocket carry and Rangergrip 79 for my bag and for the walks with my dog. How does that sound?

Nenavist likes this.
  13. Yablanowitz
    • +2 Supporter

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I really can't help with your decision, but I will say that of all the tools on all the SAKs I've carried over the last forty years, the woodsaw is probably the most used, followed by the Phillips screwdriver. If I had to choose between keeping the saw and keeping the knife blades, I think I'd lose the knives and keep the saw. But that's me, not you.

14. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

When I do carry my SAK, I usually carry my Spartan.

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Earlier in this thread I said either the Tinker or the Alox Farmer. My edc has changed a bit.

These days I usually have either a Super Tinker or a Spartan with the SE main blade on me; riding in a belt sheath. That's if I'm in my usual casual (read jeans) wear. These are then partnered with a second blade in one of my pockets.

On days when I'm in a suit I carry either an Alox Cadet or an Alox 'Broker' (I think that's what it is) in a leather slip case in my pocket.

I do have quite selection of other SAK's; both regular and Alox. I do rotate everything weekly; so the others do get a chance to come out and play! I also have particular SAK's 'assigned' to various pouches (pipe pouch, admin pouch in my bag, etc.).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. Redneck Bear

Well, I ordered the RG79 and am going to order the Climber or Pioneer X next.

Im surprised how many of you prefer to have the nail file ... Ive never used that thing when Ive been carrying a SAK with file ... :)

Nenavist likes this.
  17. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I use it all the time - my nails have never looked better! It's seen some light prying duties too. I've been carrying the cadet for the last week or so. I've hardly known I've had it in my pocket until I need it, then it's perfectly serviceable for package opening, tightening the odd screw etc. It's taken a while but it might just be my perfect urban EDC.

Nenavist likes this.
  18. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

I had picked up a Compact earlier in the year and it really made appreciate how useful scissors are. I've since received a Pioneer - X and barring acquiring a custom/mod SAK, I think this is my knife for a good while (famous last words right?) [​IMG] by -FA_Tre-

Nenavist likes this.
  19. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Usually carry the Compact and occasionally the Explorer. The Compact is a great minimalist design that covers most of the bases for me. The great thing about SAKs is that you have a wide variety of models so you can find one that fits your needs.

Nenavist likes this.
  20. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I carry an Alox Cadet in my pocket and if I need more hen I reach for the Swiss Champ on my belt.

Nenavist likes this.