1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Swiss Army Knife would you chose for urban EDC ? - Show me your SAK for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by morang, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ljnoble

ljnoble Empty Pockets

Love my aloxs with a kydex press fit sheath

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

2. carlinpole

carlinpole Loaded Pockets

I have these one and one pioneer alox x
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enviado desde mi D5803 mediante Tapatalk

Nenavist, Stormdrane and 313 like this.
  3. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

Swiss champ, it was my first real multitool and it is the most people friendly complete tool in my opinion.Granted it isn't the slimest but its a very capable tool so it's a small price to pay. I also always have a classic somewhere on me orcin my backpack.

Nenavist likes this.
  4. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying the SwissChamp for almost a year now and have learned which tools I use the most for a weekend carry that requires light use.

[​IMG]

What I use the most and in this order is the
    scissors
    knife
    philips which the can opener works perfectly fine.
    flat head
    saw
    awl

So while looking for new scales for my SwissChamp I found my dream multi tool for weekend carry. Should be here by next week. Cant wait have the blue version here.

[​IMG]

The rest of the week got have my Surge the only tool that could take the abuse I put upon it.

[​IMG]

Nenavist, TTPower, 313 and 1 other person like this.
  5. sabesh

sabesh Empty Pockets

Swisschamp XLT is my daily driver.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nenavist and twoisone like this.
  6. kennedjt

kennedjt Loaded Pockets

I carry my SAK Alox Farmer with me frequently wearing dress clothes. It doesn't print and I have almost any tool I would need.
    Avise La Fin

Nenavist likes this.
  7. Paladin0328

Paladin0328 Empty Pockets

I really enjoy the Compact, only 2 layers and you get a main blade, scissors, and the combination tool. It also has a pen as one of the scale tools in addition to the toothpick and tweezers. The back tools are the multi purpose hook and corkscrew that holds the small eye glass screwdriver. Oh and a straight pin.

Nenavist, 313 and c99camper like this.
  8. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Over decades my SAK carries have changed several times as also my lifestyle. Although I had been carrying a scout pattern Kamp King since age 12, I was interested only slightly in the whole knife thing. It was just a handy tool, and I treated it as such with no more interest than I had in my wallet or keys. It wasn't until the early '90s that I got serious about SAKs.

Early on, I figured that I'm not going to mess around but head straight for the Swisschamp because it had everything. I sheath-carried it on my hip as my only pocketknife for the next several years, during which time I used every implement on it except for the back mounted small screwdriver. The neighborhood kids called me "Knifeguy," and every once in a while I would have to make the Grand Display for one or more of them. One long time acquaintance said my example inspired him to do the same (lasting several months, but hey.)

Then, when shopping for a replacement for my worn out sheath, I came across as a clearance sale item a SAK Tinker packaged with a sheath for the same price as a sheath alone, so I grabbed it. At first I put the Tinker away, but then had the notion that coupled with a scissors based keychainer, it offered almost the same degree of utility in a much more easily carried form. By then, some of the implements I used on the S'champ were less necessary, like the magnifier. As a photographer, I had used it a lot to examine color slides and negatives, but after switching to digital, hardly at all. Others, the hook, for one, had been used to lift wire baled newsprint and straw, but that was seldom and usually seasonal. I didn't really need to carry one all the time. As for the corkscrew, I think it was truly necessary 3 times in 30 years to pull corks while away from a dedicated one, and the small eyeglass screwdriver that fit on it, never. So I was open to lightening the load. The way I did that was to add 4 more SAKs to the collection :rolleyes_revamped: ; Sportsman (replaced the Tinker,) Super Tinker, OH Trekker, and Rambler, but they are all lighter than the S'champ, and I carry them one at a time, the larger ones dangled into my pocket while the Rambler rides in my 5th pocket. But I still use the S'champ once in a while, and always take it with me on trips.

9. Highland doc

Highland doc Empty Pockets

+1 for the Compact.

Nenavist likes this.
  10. John McNalley

John McNalley Loaded Pockets

The Cybertool has been my EDC SAK for the last 14 years and I would definitely recommend it for Urban EDC. Back in the '80s and '90s it was a SwissChamp, but the Cybertool is perfect for anyone who works in IT - the bit driver is genius. Since I needed the magnifying glass I was forced to go with the Cybertool Lite, so no file or saw.

Recently I was able to get into the queue for a Syph007 custom and he turned my trusted tool companion into a work of art. Titanium scales, brass liners, hardened steel pivots and a brass magnifying glass...it's a beautiful thing.

Nenavist and 313 like this.
  11. 313
    • +1 Supporter

313 Uber Prepared

+1 for the Cybertool. I used to have a Cybertool S until I gave it to my dad as a present. The Cybertool M with the pliers is on my Do Want -list and would indeed make for a great urban carry.

Nenavist likes this.
  12. the_red_l

the_red_l Loaded Pockets

For me, only Victorinox Swisschamp (or his mods) is worth to carrying:
    [​IMG]

Nenavist likes this.
  13. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

To be perfectly honest: none listed.

Here is what I would do:
    1. Bag - Wave or Charge
    2. Left Pants Pocket - SAK Trekker (one-handed) - reason on the left is how the blade release works.
    3. On the right Skeletool from Leatherman

14. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I had to Google the soldier and I was focusing on the "one-handed" and I don't see how it's any different from the Trekker. Why 2 knives basically the same with different names?

15. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

i usually EDC a SAK.
    The model I carry usually depends on a few factors, such as where I am and what I'm doing.
    At work it's usually an Explorer, the magnifying glass and the straight line phillips are really useful.
    When camping, it's the Huntsman.
    Around town it'd usually be the Climber, but I recently acquired a Pioneer X which is looking like a replacement.
    I've also got an alox Mini-Champ on my keys.

Nenavist likes this.
  16. znapschatz

Swiss military procurers simply adapted an existing design, thus saving the time and expense to develop something new. There are slight differences between them. The Soldier has softer plastic scales with inserts for hand comfort, olive and black color and no toothpick or tweezers. Some alox SAKaholics might grumble, but I think it was a good call. I love the OH Trekker, my favorite outdoor knife and hardest using folder. I like it so well that I ordered the PE version, something I rarely do with knives so similar.

Nenavist likes this.
  17. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

What does PE version mean?

18. GothicVash

GothicVash Loaded Pockets

i have a spartan but im thinking about picking up a tinker

Nenavist likes this.
  19. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

I carry a SAK Cadet or Minichamp in my pocket and a Farmer in my work tool kit in my backpack. I live in NYC. I've been carrying the minichamp the most lately because it's so small and non-threatening. The farmer I mostly pull out if I am on a site visit and have to help someone fix something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nenavist likes this.
  20. znapschatz

Plain Edge.

Redneck Bear and koenfm like this.