1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Swiss Army Knife would you chose for urban EDC ? - Show me your SAK for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by morang, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

My perfect urban SAK would be an orange or blue alox Mechanic. The awl can replace the small blade and the in-line philips can replace the can opener, like moostapha's Cadet idea, and I would be happy. :D

In regard to actual production ones, I'd go with the alox Farmer for an urban carry. If they stay in stock then I'm hoping soon to make an orange one my first legit SAK.

Nenavist likes this.
  2. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

SwissBianco has some yeomans and yeomans with files :p

Nenavist likes this.
  3. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

It depends on how long ago it was discontinued. You may find a store that still has one.
    If you do find a Yeoman be prepared to pay big bucks. It is a favorite among the collectors.

I have the Explorer which is a 4 layer. Like the Yeoman plus a small blade and can opener/small screwdriver.

Everytime I decide to buy a new SAK I get lost in the sea of too many configuration options. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Nenavist, GRH and moostapha like this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

For urban use I love my small tinker. Has just what I need, and nothing I don't need.
    [​IMG]

5. gene stoner

gene stoner Loaded Pockets

Most days I leave the house with my Swisschamp and 08 Soldier. The Soldier is a great utilitie knife and the SC has every tool I need for the day.

[​IMG]

6. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

I wish they never changed the Soldier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

AMEN!
    [​IMG]

8. gene stoner

gene stoner Loaded Pockets

I wonder how many people said the same thing in 1961?

sungame and Stuart Mantel like this.
  9. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Probably the parents of the.people saying "I wish I had a 1960 solider. "

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rich73 and gene stoner like this.
  10. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

In order of how often I carry them:

1. Pioneer
    2. Cadet
    3. Bantam
    4. Small tinker or sportsman.
    5. Explorer. But I generally choose my Huntsman over it.

All of them are capable of taking care of most of my EDC

sungame likes this.
  11. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I want an Alox Cadet, but combine the can and bottle openers(retaining the 5mm screwdriver), machine the nail cleaner into a 2-d phillips driver a la Gerber Shard OR change it into the 3mm screwdriver, and in the space left over from the tool combination add scissors.

filedog likes this.
  12. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

My everyday, lives on my keychain and never leaves me, SAK is the Rambler. It is just a bit larger than the Classic, but is great for me, and would probably work great for other people in IT, etc. It has...
    - tweezers and toothpick
    - main blade
    - scissors
    - nail file with straight screwdriver blade (that can work on larger Phillips bits as well)
    - and the piece de resistance- an inline magnetized #0 Phillips bit with cap lifter and wire stripper.

If you swap the toothpick for a pen, it is the Manager. There is a Midnight Manager version with a small red LED flashlight, but it is pretty worthless.

The Huntsman is my choice for hiking, travel, etc.

Nenavist, O_G and Stuart Mantel like this.
  13. captain howdy

captain howdy Loaded Pockets

my primary SAK is a soldier/pioneer. Perfect minimal tool set for urban needs and more pocketable then a farmer.

Nenavist likes this.
  14. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Swiss Army Rucksack.

Locking blade a bit larger than most SAK. Locking is a safety thing. Can opener. Most of the time it is the only can opener in camp. Awl with eye, for repairs and projects. Saw, a good backup to my other two saws and one that is always with me. Good for night projects around the fire. Thin enough to ride in any pocket and be forgotten about till needed.

I always have a larger fixed blade "working" knife and hawk on me when I know I will be out for a few days. But I could, and have used this as my only knife when things did not go as planned. With a few mods/upgrades to make it mine, it is my last layer PSK.

[​IMG]

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. I guess that makes me just a giant Peter.

Nenavist, Lorenzo and Radley like this.
  15. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

[​IMG]
    #bullet proof

sent from S6 edge plus. boom!!

Nenavist, Rich73 and Rockwell Torrey like this.
  16. classicrock

classicrock Loaded Pockets

one of them will be my urban edc...

[​IMG]

Rockwell Torrey likes this.
  17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Impossible to choose one for EDC. There are five in my MT box (see what i did there? :D ) that I select from, depending on situation:

[​IMG]

Lately, after a long layoff, I have been dangling the Swisschamp into my LF pocket, where it hangs quite well behind my wallet. That gives me access to the all-important fish scaler as well as the hook. The magnifier was formerly useful for examining slides and negatives when still using film. The older ones with the grey plastic mount were made with optical glass, and are very good quality. I don't know about the current plastic ones, though. In the many years when this was my only SAK, I used every implement on it except for the small backspacing mounted screwdriver. If I could have only one SAK, this would be it.

[​IMG]

When packing light for the day, this Super Tinker is my go to. It's a good all-arounder, replacing my previous well worn Tinker. I replaced the original scales with a Plus set so I could stow a last resort pen, which is more reliable than the bank pens I swipe by the handful.

[​IMG]

This Sportsman II is for social evenings, where in December at a Christmas party the host's corkscrew/bottle opener went missing and I got to be Hero of the Year(end) for the third time in that number of decades. I also carry it around the house for our own corkscrew chores after our official one broke some months ago and hasn't yet been replaced. I have grown to really appreciate the thing, and sometimes carry it "just because."

[​IMG]

The OH Trekker is probably my hands down favorite during much of the year when I spend a fair amount of time outdoors doing gardening and yard maintenance. It gets more hard use than the others combined and stays right and tight. I just love using it and playing with it as well.
    It's grand hand candy.

[​IMG]

For just a few dollars more, you can buy yourself a Rambler, which supplies a combo #1 ph screwdriver/cap lifter for only a trivial increase in size and weight over the Classic. This goes into my jeans 5th pocket, clipped to a micro light. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

So, I showed you mine. Now you show me yours.

Last edited by znapschatz, Jan 18, 2016
  18. Pscl

Pscl Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Pscl, Jul 10, 2017
    #78 Pscl, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Nenavist and ScottB like this.
  19. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I have dozens of SAKs. I typically EDC (in the office) a 4 layer Vic along with a Leatherman Squirt on a clip . Plenty of tools for anything I need to do.

Nenavist and Stuart Mantel like this.
  20. muki007

muki007 Loaded Pockets

With me for the last 10 years…
    [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Nenavist likes this.