1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Swiss Army Knife would you chose for urban EDC ? - Show me your SAK for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by morang, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Berny

Berny Loaded Pockets

RED BANTAM ALOX

[​IMG]

Found on ETSY

Tallboyjim likes this.
  2. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Out of curiosity, what are the dimpled keys used for? I have a set as well though I doubt they serve the same purpose.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

There are some door locks which use those 'dimples' instead of 'teeth' on the keys for moving lock tumblers. Years ago, living in Taiwan, I recall some of the door locks actually required cylindrical keys with such dimples on the outside of the key cylinder. The concept was to make the door locks practically pick proof.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

swedishelite22 likes this.
  4. Formidable Tool

Formidable Tool Empty Pockets

The urban EDC SAK is different from person to person. It all depends on what tools you use, what weight your willing to carry, how you carry the multi-tool (pouch, knife slip, bag or kydex sheath), and even based on what the temperature is outside. Plastic handle scales become brittle is frigid temperatures, and are more likely to break.

5. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Well I ended up carrying Vic Walker as my EDC. I suddenly got into lightweight carry and my must haves are blade, woodsaw and (can) opener.
    Apart from that, I believe the most versatile general-and-city EDC is the Huntsman and the best villager/farmer/redneck (that would be me LOL) EDC is the Forester M.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

@Redneck Bear: re general-and-city SAK EDC ^^, I also am a fan of the Huntsman. Additionally, its fraternal twin brother, the Fieldmaster should be considered. The Fieldmaster includes a Phillips driver instead of the corkscrew; some may find that more useful whilst all the other tools are the same.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Evogrip S18 fills all of my EDC needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. David Thompson

David Thompson Empty Pockets

I've been carrying a vic hiker on my keys for last few months so have it everywhere I go including urban areas
    Find a use for it almost every day

9. SOS24
    • +1 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I, also, like the Fieldmaster because of the phillips. It surprises me that it seems like the Fieldmaster does not get nearly as much love as the Huntsman.

10. Moshe ben David

Maybe its not marketed as widely? I've seen mention of the Huntsman at various on-line retailers but rarely mention of the Fieldmaster. Similarly as you point out not as many 'denizens' of forums like these mention the Fieldmaster as do the Huntsman. I kinda doubt it is because of how many really use a corkscrew but I'm willing to be proven wrong! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

SOS24 likes this.
  11. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Swiss Army Vic Pioneer alox in black sees a lot of pocket-time.

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  12. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe i'm wrong and please don't mind of me if i ask... in the pic your Vic looks like a three-layers to me and Pioneers are two-layers... so, perhaps it's a Farmer or an Harvester ? Just curious about it... Thanks

13. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

it's too thick for a farmer. probably the pioneer X with scissors.

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I always have a Cadet without keyring on me for urban environment. It is so slim, you don't feel it in the pocket. The Alox Bantam is a bit too thin for my liking, it also likes to slip out of my pocket too frequently.

When I go out hiking, I drop a Farmer in my pocket or put a Huntsman in my jacket or bag. If you have a classic on your keys with tweezers and scissors, the farmer is the perfect addition. The Huntsman just does have it all in one package, but is a little on the thick side, so I wouldn't carry it in a pants pocket for long.

When I had the first time a Farmer in my hands (actually was a gift and I did not knw the model name), I was mind blown, because for me that knife is perfect. The versatility (saw and awl!) is great, the awl blows the cellidor awls out of the water, the alox scales are super rugged and the knife is beefier than the cellidors. Knife is thick and big enough for a good grip, but not too big to carry it in a jeans pocket if necessary. It has a thin saw that is handy if you ever need one, but still it is just as thick as your regular cellidor Spartan. Perfect.

The farmer combined with a Classic was my daily for 3 or 4 years until I lost my first farmer and ended up here to search for replacement. Now I have a boatload of SAKs, but the Farmer is still my favourite. If I could keep only one, it would be this.

#274 flux, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    Nick4305 likes this.
  15. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mmm... i think you may be right, i didn't have a thought to the PX, surely not in black.

16. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Totally agree about Farmers, that's the only user i have in my collection.
    Anyway i think that i will shift to an Harvester sooner or later, way better for me to have a little hawkbill blade instead of the can opener on an EDC Vic.

17. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Your right, Nick. It's a Pioneer X replete with scissors. One of the most important implements for me. DLT has these now available in the blue alox.

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for your reply Harry.
    I'm actually on other shores about Aloxes, but who knows... may be a blue Px could be a good addi(c)tion to the collection... :)
    ATB

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  19. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Upgraded from the Classic SD after about a year or so, as I missed a cap lifter for opening (soft-drink) bottles and the tweezers where not that useful for my but a pen would be.
    Voila - Victorinox Manager has exactly what I need in my pocket, well on my key ring - does 95% of the task I need to do during normal life.

An alternative would be the Rambler - who still has tweezers but no pen.