1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Swiss Army Knife would you chose for urban EDC ? - Show me your SAK for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by morang, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Berny

Berny Loaded Pockets

I think we can't say Swiza or Victorinox is the best...
    Victorinox is well known, so no need to need be presented.
    Swiza is a new Swiss Army Knives brand since 2013, in Delemont (Switzerland). The CEO is Peter Hugh, previously CEO of Wenger (before Wenger was bought by Victorinox).
    Swiza is a small factory but very modern, with new machines and robots. It's also a new knife design, more urban, more functional than the usual Swiss knives. For example, these knives can be washed in the dishwasher, the number of tools is limited, the scales are soft like rubber, they all have a locking blade system, the ergonomic form has been studied in the laboratory, the colors are different (more pastel), etc.
    Currently these knives are not yet very well known, but they represent the "modern Switzerland" of today, at the top of new technologies, in the Swiss tradition of the manufacture of knives.
    Good quality, good design, good materials, to discover !

62Tele likes this.
  2. jaya_man

jaya_man Loaded Pockets

Agree on your points... I must point out though that Swiza is not a Swiss Army Knife as they never were contracted by the Swiss Army... Even Swiza does not claim to be a Swiss Army Knife... their packaging even states “Authentic Swiss Knife”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Berny

Berny Loaded Pockets

Yes, it's true !
    It's a problem of translation (I'm French speaking) : In French we never say "Couteau de l'Armée Suisse" but only "Couteau Suisse" (Swiss Knife)...
    But usually English speaking people say "Swiss Army Knife"...
    So I never know how I can translate to be understood ...

A Spartan Victorinox is not a knife of the Swiss Army, but everyone call it "Swiss Army knife"...
    Historically, "Swiss Army Knife" comes from the American GI at the end of the WW2 who bought Swiss Army Knives (genuine knives of the Swiss Army) in Switzerland before returning home.
    Today, lot of people think that "Swiss Army Knife" means the company have contracts with the Swiss Army... But "Swiss Army Knife", in fact is only a trade mark owned by Victorinox.
    So the term is confusing...

In my opinion we should call "Swiss Army Knife" only the knives made for the Swiss Army and "Swiss Knives" all other knives made in Switzerland.

znapschatz likes this.
  4. jaya_man

jaya_man Loaded Pockets

Well the Spartan is a direct decendant of the Officer’s Knife...

I guess it’s also a brand perception thing... Like Coca-Cola is to carbonated drinks, Xerox is to photocopying...

And since Victorinox has the rights as, you mentioned, Victorinox classifies all the pocket folding multi-tool as part of the Swiss Army Knives family...

Here’s a perception of mine I think you will agree... When someone mentions Swiss, only three things comes to my mind... Knives, Chocolate and Timepieces...

5. Berny

Berny Loaded Pockets

Yes I agree it's also a brand perception thing.
    Do not forget, Wenger classified also all the pocket folding multi-tool as part of the Swiss Army Knives family... But in French language Victorinox and Wenger classified all knives as "Swiss Knives" LOL !
    I think the first who classifies his knives as "Swiss Knives" in French and English is Swiza...

jaya_man likes this.
  6. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

You've apparently missread my comment. There's no one out here that can dispute the fact that the P-X is larger, heavier and chunkier than the Cadet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

7. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

Somewhere in a perfect SAK edc world there is a modified blue Climber with a nail file replacing the small blade.
    In a nearly perfect world I would be able to find a set of blue scales for the oh-so-close to perfect Traveler.

Apparently perfect or even close to perfect is very hard to find. So far it has proven completely elusive.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Super Tinker

jolico likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I would love a huntsman in alox without the back tools. Adding the reamer like in a pioneer and with the same thick blade

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Let me try this another way. By the time I'm dealing with the weight and bulk of a Pioneer, I'd rather carry the extra weight of the Spirit X and have a lot more utility on hand. I don't think the Spirit X is thicker, but haven't measured. Even if it is, I stand by my original impression. The Cadet completely disappears in the pocket.

All of these are pretty darned light. I only really notice weight of most of these tools if I'm wearing slacks; in that setting, small and light is optimal. In jeans, none of them really bother me, and I've never felt a need for belt holsters and such.

znapschatz likes this.
  11. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

That's the reason I seldom wear slacks. Even for semi-dressy affairs where jacket and necktie are expected, I just wear carefully tended black jeans. As a photographer, I can get away with it when working in those situations, since I carry a load of photo gear, anyway. When a suit is absolutely necessary and I feel the need to carry a multi-tool, a belt pouch will do as it is concealed by the jacket. But on those rare occasions when I do wear slacks with no jacket or belt accessories, my Sportsman disappears into the LF pocket under my wallet, and Manager into RF.

12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean. My perfect SAK for edc would be a Compact with the corkscrew and parcel hook replaced with a phillips screwdriver and reamer with the Gadsden flag scales.

#192 SOS24, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Norlander and FLbeachbum like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

All y'all -- if you use something like a P7 dangler for most SAK and ALOX, you don't notice the weight as it doesn't sit in the bottom of your pocket banging around. Give it a try; even if you don't have a P7 do a trial using a large paperclip as a dangler on the edge of your pocket...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jolico and znapschatz like this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

and gold bullion!!! OH YES!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jaya_man likes this.
  15. znapschatz

Dangling is the way to go. I just use a length of paracord with a lobster claw clip tucked under my belt as a dangler. A large knot keeps it in place, held by the belt against my body, and I have the option of detaching the knife from the clip when I want to use it, or pulling the whole thing out if I need a fob/lanyard. The same works with my keys. Not only does dangling reduce felt weight, but another benefit is that my pockets last much longer without wearing holes in the fabric. I only wish that I had thought of it years ago.

#195 znapschatz, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  16. znapschatz

It was quite justified for Victorinox to have called its original product a Swiss Army Knife. Dating from the 1880s, the company did and does have a contract with the Swiss army to provide pocket knives, and BTW, also with the US military for the same knife with slight modifications (the civilian version is marketed as the One Hand Trekker, and a great knife it is). When the original 4-implement model was well received by GIs at the end of WW2, Vic wanted to expand its reach to the civilian market, and capitalizing on their designs, called those versions "Officier Suisse", and so the legendary SAK was introduced to the world. Besides, SAK is such a convenient acronym, n'est pas? :D

Moshe ben David and Berny like this.
  17. jaya_man

jaya_man Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah... but somehow Fort Knox comes to mind... :lol:

18. Berny

Berny Loaded Pockets

I agree ! But do not forget, between 1890 and 1960 the Swiss army had contracts with about 30 other Swiss cutleries so 30 other brands...
    And do not forget the first 15000 Swiss Soldiers Knives were made in Germany (Solingen), not in Switzerland !
    So we can't ignore the History, even if Victorinox has finally won a market that lasted more than a century.

znapschatz likes this.
  19. znapschatz

Thanks, I had not known that history of the other Swiss army contracts. Used to be that Wenger also provided knives for the Swiss army, but when they were absorbed by Victorinox, Vic became the sole supplier. Actually, I thought that overall, the Victorinox products were superior except for the specified army one. I preferred the bail on the Wenger.

20. Berny

Berny Loaded Pockets

In fact, now Vic is the main supplier of the Army since 2008, but before 2008 the orders for the army were distributed equitably on all suppliers, because of the Swiss law.