1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which small emergency radio receiver?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Dan2, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Which light-weight emergency-radios could be recommended? With "emergency-radios" I mean radio-receivers, that can be charged wit a hand-crank and internal dynamo.

They should also have the option to be charged with AC or DC. They should also have the option, to be charged with NiMh-batteries. And they must have a solar panel. Maximum weight: about 15 ounce of 400 grams.

This type of radios can be used while camping, hiking, etc. And they are very useful during emergencies and disasters, like floods and hurricanes.

2. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

I really like my KA 600. My wife took it with her to Florida during the hurricane and it worked great.

3. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I have an Eton FR1. Hand crank, usb and solar. Seems OK. Too large for EDC.
    I am about to pull the trigger on a kaito ka200 just because it is SO tiny (and stoopid cheap) and will just disappear into my EDC/GHB bag. The FR1, while more versatile, is in my BOB/BIB at home.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have yet to find any decent crank charged radios but I keep looking.

I carry a Yaesu VX-2 or VX-3 though in lieu of this and for me they work well!

They have the stature of an actual toy I know but indeed these are real Yaesu Ham Radios and will run on AA batteries as well as lithium packs and external batteries as needed.

With external battery and antenna they can operate as pretty full featured mini-mobile radios with few compromises and I have used mine many times like this as well as just walking around radios with small ear buds to monitor.
    They last a long time on tiny batteries too.

If you find a better crank radio I want to know too!

5. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Moderator, could you please remove this thread to the subforum `Electronic devises`?

Thanks for the replies in this topic.

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Whomever told you this is an idiot. Sure they don't compare to a 'real' transceiver but ive honestly never seen anyone lug one of those around on a day to day basis. In a mobile situation those little handhelds are brilliant tools and even tho there's better stuff out there something this small is still a billion times more radio than none at all!

In case you haven't noticed, i love these little monsters!! Always have a little baofeng uv3r mk2 in my bag, when i lose or break that itll get replaced with either a th-uv3r (just a tad bigger but fully functional numpad) or a yaesu if i feel fancy. Having stand-alone 2-way communication on your person at the size of a deck of playing cards is just mind boggling.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I guess I am that Idiot then!

These radios do in fact compare to the bigger radios and are entirely as "Real" as a radio can be!

I have a VX-2 & VX-3,2-VX-5 & 2-VX-7 and many other smaller HT as well and each is a full featured transceiver and much better than having just a receiver with me as I am licensed to transmit as well as listen.

The VX-3 even has separate AM/FM/Ham antenna and can monitor broadcast radio but listen on Ham bands to break in when someone transmits there!

The only downside aside from lower power than full sized HT are the lack of buttons making them tougher to remember how to operate when away from one for a while but for me it quickly comes back to me when needed too.

As I suggest above with a few accessories these tiny radios can be used as full power long running rigs as well and when working disaster relief I wear a small battery belt that can easily give me multi-day full power use from an HT all the time if I need this.

I just was commenting that to the unknowing they do look like little toy "Zoolander" radios in general.

Last edited by EZDog, Sep 27, 2017
    #7 EZDog, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017