1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which sling bag for commuting and urban use?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rebel, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Haha, I'm a Life Member, don't worry :p

I'm not sure the level of organization in that bag would be what I want but thanks for the link.

2. BrendanH

BrendanH Loaded Pockets

5.11 push pack for me, space for glasses case, 2 bottles (I use one for an umbrella) and lots of internal dividers. Not too large though.

Rebel likes this.
  3. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Thanks. What are the top brands in terms of quality as far as sling bags and messenger bags go?

Whoops I forgot in addition to the stuff I said I plan to carry I forgot to mention sneakers and gym clothes :eek: and I will have to stuff my street clothes into the bag.

Is this too much for a messenger bag?

4. Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk Loaded Pockets

I've had a Maxped Kodiak for 4 years, abused the hell out it - still looks new. I've commuted by train & bus for 5 years, and the Kodiak has been excellent in an edc role. I also have a 511 MOAB 10 - I like the ambidextrous functionality of it, excellent quality as well. As for concealed carry, both have the option. However, they both are a :censored: to draw from when loaded with gear. As for looks, they scream tactical (don't know if that is a concern). I have my eye on the Hazard 4 Diagonal Defense Courier - looks comfortable, lower key, and well made.

Rebel likes this.
  5. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

Many, many top brand for messenger bags. I love my 5.11. Its built well. I think the Vanquest bag is superior to the 5.11, but it costs more as well. Timbuk 2 is good without the tactical look. Many others though as well. Direct Action makes some to check out. Your better bet is just do a forum search and you will see what different people are using, then look at the features.

As for slings, again Vanquest makes some great bags. Same with Maxpedition. The moab from 5.11 are really nice. Hazard 4 has some also.

5.11 in general makes about the best valued rugged equipment. You can usually find gear that beats it, but it will really cost you for the little bit of improvement. For that matter, you could get a 5.11 sling and messenger for not much more than you could get say a Vanquest messenger. Then you could see how each type fits your lifestyle.

Tom A Hawk and Rebel like this.
  6. brockster

brockster Empty Pockets

I have a ton of Timbuk2 messengers. Most I have bought used on FleaBay, but I bought a few from Timbuk2's site and from Sierra Trading Post. I'm very happy with them - they hold up very well. I did see a used 5.11 messenger on the auction site that looks pretty cool though.

Rebel likes this.
  7. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Thanks a lot guys. As far as tactical I would like to avoid it but I suspect my appearance (old greybeard) would temper the perception somewhat. Even in a suit I don't look very governmental. Since I will probably not be packing anything for a while in the new place it could be a downside though if somebody is looking for trouble. I realize you can't carry everything you want. Like I mentioned earlier I am going from having everything in my truck to being my own mule. I suppose everybody has to go through a period of learning how and what to carry.

I would feel more positive about a messenger bag if I had more of an idea how easy they are to take off and swing around etc. I understand pickpocketing and ripping off stuff from people's bags and backpacks is high art in some places.

Thanks for all your helpful information and opinions.

Tom A Hawk likes this.
  8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Loaded Pockets

I use a Rickshaw Bagworks Zero Messenger to go to and from my office. It has a quick release buckle that lets you cinch it up tight against your back, and then if you need to get into the bag you just pull the tab on the buckle and it loosens. As far as organization, it is pretty much just one huge pocket with two smaller pockets on the front. The main pocket does have some Velcro loop strips so you can add some accessories. I've had it for a couple years and it has held up great. They also have a nicer Commuter bag with a similar strap option. Another messenger bag that I've heard great things about is Chrome. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my bag:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom A Hawk and Rebel like this.
  9. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I just got a new sling bag from "KP>"

its not big but holds a lot. and very well made and very comfortable wearing

they also have awesome messenger bags too. named "face off"

not expensive not cheap.

worth checking out

im sure there messenger bag is in my future.

10. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

FlyByNight thanks for the nice pics and info.

marsos52 thanks, what is KP> ? I'll look for these also.

11. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

12. sgtdills

sgtdills Loaded Pockets

I would take a look at vertx. I got the edc satchel. Rides great for me. Good organization and the ccw set up is the best plus since you'll be wearing a suit it's a discreet look with "tactical" features.

Rebel likes this.
  13. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys!

14. Iron Badger

Iron Badger Loaded Pockets

Wow, the KP Sling looks compact enough that you can stick it in a bigger bag if you wanted to. Why didn't anyone think of this before

15. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I'm loving mine KP> sling. it holds so much and so comfortable to wear.

big change from my max lunada bag

16. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

I like the Rickshaw Commuter which is bigger than the Zero and a little more briefcase like. Also check out Red Oxx Metro briefcase and the larger CPA. Look and work great, made in the USA, lot of color options and accessories, and tough as nails.

17. mrhockey

mrhockey Loaded Pockets

I've owned and used three different Timbuk2 bags over the last 15 years. One thing to bear in mind if you will need to use the cross body strap if you are carrying a heavy load for a long distance. I also got irritated with the way the bag sits on my back. If I were to buy a new messenger bag, I would probably buy Chrome. The design seems to ride better against your back. Until you mentioned needing to carry shoes, I was actually going to suggest the Chrome Kadet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

I'd look at a Filson briefcase. It's what I carry to work - made in the U.S. and has a lifetime warranty. It's rustic but professional enough for just about any office environment. I have the classic tan but the green is also great. Shop around and you can get them on sale. I bought mine with a 40% off one item coupon from Brooks Brothers, who carries some of Filson's stuff on their website.

[​IMG]

19. Tully305

Tully305 Empty Pockets

Take a peek at sfbags.com. Their bags are top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

The Filson bags are great. I've had a couple for decades. However they're exactly wrong for what I need. Carrying a load in briefcase mode is not happening. IMHO briefcases are strictly a parking deck to the office and back proposition. Push the envelope and it's gonna hurt.

Tully305 thanks for the link. Shipping prices look good!