1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which side? Left hand or right

Discussion in 'Watches' started by webley445, Jul 27, 2006.

1. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I was always taught to wear the watch on the left hand, but I see many wearing them on the right (men).
    Is there a rule of thumb? What determines the hand you wear your watch on? Is it a lefty/righty thing?

2. sak_collector

sak_collector Empty Pockets

I always wear mine on the left.

3. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I am not aware of any rule, but I like to wear in on my left. I think that is why watch makes usually put the knob on the left side of the watch face. A funny thing is though, there is the popular watch, the Eco-Zilla, that has the knob on the opposite side. Citizen was trying to make the watch stand out more by doing so.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

From my military weapons instructor:

"The wrist watch should be worn on the weak/support wrist so that the operator can see the time without moving the strong/primary hand that will be holding the weapon. Your do not want to be holding the weapon and have to move your wrist to see the time if in the event that you are pointing the weapon at the target."

I have always worn my watch on my left wrist and never thought about a reason. It just felt so natural there. That instructor gave the reason. :p

5. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

Yeah...it sucks to be holding your weapon on a BG and need to check the watch to see when chow is... ;D

I'm just playin' with ya 0dBm...:) I wear mine on my left also...

JM-99

6. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Good point there, even if it isn't a weapon you are holding. Make a lot of sense to me. Oh, and Jumpmaster is right about not missing a meal. :)

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I used to wear mine on the left, now it rides on my belt - it's been so since '96 or so.

8. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

hmm, ok, so should this be a new thread or can I ask here...
    top of wrist or bottom? :lolhammer:

9. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Left and top, always.

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Chow! Heck that's the best reason yet! ;D :dance: :buckteeth: :clap:

Uhmm...I can see that his might get outta hand. ;D :p

11. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Don't go there!! :yikes:

12. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

Left wrist (weak side), on top. I always thought it was a lefty/righty thing. Although, back in the '50's it was cool for a time to wear it on the palm side of the wrist. Don't know why, but it sure resulted in a lot of crystal scratches, which soon made it uncool. ;D I have also seen watches worn on the thumb side of the wrist.

13. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

I was under the impression that watches have the crown so that when worn on the left wrist the right hand could operate the crown. As in setting time, winding et al... But then what do I know as a mostly lefty I still wear mine on the left...

14. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

Exactly, but I think the question is how that convention came about in the beginning...(i.e. Yes, the crown is on the right so the right-hand can operate it, but who decided that years ago and why? The reasons folks gave earlier sound valid...)

I wonder if someone makes a left-handed wristwatch with the crown on the left side... :confused:

JM-99

15. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing it's because the right hand is more dextrous than the left since most people are right-handed.

Oddly enough, my new favorite watch, a Citizen diver NY0045, has the crown on the left hand side (8 o'clock). I've never tried to adjust the time while it was on my wrist until now. Pretty difficult.

However, I wonder with the advent of quartz and radio-controlled watches: how often do people even need to adjust their watch? Perhaps the first watches were much more inaccurate, and their owners needed to periodically synchronize them with a trusted source.

16. SparHawk

SparHawk Empty Pockets

I've always thought that you wear it on the weak side so it is not in the way when writing or doing other things with the strong.

17. kkimo

kkimo Loaded Pockets

Weak side (left) top of wrist.

or in my pocketwatch pocket. (=

Dave

18. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

It's quite common for dive watches to have the crown in the opposite side (left). They are usually big watches, and moving the crown to the 8 o'clock position will allow you to freely move the wrist and hand (probably with a thick neoprene suit and glove) without getting hurt by the crown.

Attached Files:

19. TimB

TimB Empty Pockets

I wear my watch on my right wrist, topside. (I'm left-handed)

-Tim

20. greencobra

greencobra Loaded Pockets

I liked my watches on the right hand but being right handed, it was always being bumped and scratched cause that's the hand I primarily used for reaching and what have you. I moved it to the left side as I got older because the watches got nicer and more expensive. Have no clue why history dictates wearing it on the left. I see a lot of high end watch makers feature the option of having the crown on the other side for left handed people who want to wear a watch on the right hand.

My EDC watch is a Seiko Monster Diver with the crown at 4. Odd place to put it, the crown is so big, it still binds at the wrist.