1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Power Bank(s) can be charged from a car cigarette lighter port or similar?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Moshe ben David, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, there have been a number of threads and much discussion of the merits of portable power banks. I'm thinking of course of the Anker type products.

If memory serves I've only seen products discussed in terms of how easy it is to charge the power bank itself up using one or two outlets in a home or office. With the recent prominence of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria, etc., and the loss of power infrastructure, it occurs to me that it would be really useful to be able to charge a power bank by plugging into a car.

Yeah, I know. Maybe a phone, tablet, etc., could themselves plug in. On the other hand, being able to top up a power bank from a car or truck in situations with impassible roads or some other issue (such as car cannot be driven?) might be pretty useful methinks!

So all this leads to the question. Which power banks have the ability to be topped off in a vehicle?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well seeing as how many seem to all recharge from the same 5dc that they output I imagine you can get a 12vdc lighter adapter to USB and charge from this.

3. Moshe ben David

I hadn't really thought of that. I was thinking of a power bank that had a plug suitable 'hard wired'; my thinking being it would be more reliable perhaps being less susceptible to a poor connection.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

As stated earlier those regular usb adapters work fine on all powerbanks. There are a couple banks that charge directly from 12v too and that often (but not always) gives you the benefit of faster charging without the need of an expensive quick charge adapter for your cars power socket.

The most universal solution is still a good quality usb power adapter, as you said it can also charge or power your phone directly.

6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I will use a good quality USB charger to recharge the power banks. I have also recharged my power banks from a portable solar panel. I hang the panel and go about my business as usual. The remote cabin does not have power but is within cell service since it overlooks a town.

7. Moshe ben David

Thanks all y'all! @garza: I hadn't even thought of a solar panel. That seems like a good idea!

@McNasty: thanks for the pic. Looks like a good car solution.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

I would suggest an emergency radio with internal powerbank, to charge a smartphone. These radios could possibly be charged on a car battery with adapter plug. These radios often have a built in solar panel, flashlight and hand crank, etc. Some well-known brands are Kaito/Degen, Freeplay and Eton/Soulra.

#8 Dan2, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  9. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

As suggested above, I’ve used a decent quality lighter plugin charger regularly when off-grid to charge powerbanks, my laptop (MacBook 12” that does charge from USB 2.4A) and camera batteries. Mine has 2 x 2.4A and 1 x 2.1A sockets. No issues at all; simple, small and light.

EDIT: If you want to do this in your car, its best to have a lighter socket that works even when the ignition is off unless you intend to run the engine all the time. Many now only come on when the electrics / ignition circuits are on - that’s a really fast way to a flat battery on most modern cars as most draw quite a high load to power engine mgmt systems etc. If you done have one as standard it’s usually easy enough to wire one in direct (remember to include an in-line fuse and a switch).

If you want to get a fall back solution, a simple car battery in the garage on an intelligent trickle charger / solar charger is an additional simple emergency fall back source for a good week plus for the above sort of stuff.

#9 DeepBlue, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.