1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Opi ...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by swedishelite22, Aug 21, 2018.

1. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

First off, I hate you all. I started on a hunt for a new backpack two months ago. After 4 attempts I found a bag I am happy with... but... suddenly needed a new knife... and flashlight... and why have one knife when you can have two... which leads me to...

Which Opinel?

Since the mini grip has me covered on EDC needs for now, I'm looking at an Opi for basic food prep, fruits mainly. It will predominantly see kitchen use but will also find it's into picnic baskets from time to time.

With that in mind, I can't decide between the #7, #8, or #9. (I have average hands, medium size gloves, if that matters/helps.)

Then the age old question, carbon or stainless? The low maintenance, picnic using side of me says stainless, but the nostalgic side of me says carbon.

So, since you all got me in this mess, help me decide.

[​IMG]

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd go with either the #7 or the #8; at least when I was looking at them for some reason I felt the #9 was just a tad too large. One criteria might be to keep your blade length just at or under 3" as that can matter in some jurisdictions.

For food prep personally I like stainless. Not everyone likes the additional taste impact from carbon steel. Both will be great slicers; the SS Opinel uses is pretty easy to keep sharp.

Fortunately for your budget, all Opinel are quite economical, so you could of course get several just to see how they work out for you! Oops - there I go again! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

You got the right picture. No 8 walnut. The beech they use is not my favorite when it’s getting wet/moist. It expands quite and makes it hard to turn the ring.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

4. swedishelite22

I see what you did there.

5. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

You cannot go wrong with any of them. I would go with the 8 in carbon. You can resharpen these so easily. The bigger, the thicker the handle. The 9 and 10 are slightly too thick. 8 was perfect for me. There is also a version with a thin long very pointy elegant blade, which is very nice for food. Thin handle, but longer.

6. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Nr 8 ss mirror finish, ebony handle. 49$ but smooooth....

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungame and swedishelite22 like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Yup. I have a No 8 'slim' in SS with Bubinga wood handle. It and an Otter 'Black Kat' ride in a special 2-slot leather sheath for when I dine in a restaurant. Both slice through meat in a single draw -- no sawing motions!

L'chaim and Bon Appetit!

Moshe ben David

8. swedishelite22

Genuinely curious and I've been meaning to ask this before so humor me please... Why bring your own knife to restaurant?

I work in Logistics so maybe that's where my mental hang-up comes in; the establishment provides knives and, in using your own, you have a knife needing cleaning (more than a wipe down) in your pocket for the duration of the evening.

I'm very much intrigued as I've never considered doing this and my wife would undoubtedly turn such action into cocktail party/social media conversational shenanigans.

sungame likes this.
  9. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

The 8 is a good size. I generally prefer their Carbone over their SS, but if you’re using it exclusively for food, then go with the SS.

I have, in the past, brought my own knife to restaurants before. My knives cut better than the dull steak knives they give you, which will usually crush your steak before you finish sawing at it. Besides, I’m into knives, so why not? But I’ve stopped doing it. No steel holds up against ceramic plates. It just wasn’t worth all the effort to resharpen the knife afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedishelite22 likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Some of the restaurants I frequent are just a slight notch above fast food; here in US they often only have plastic (the horrors!); many others have cutlery that is just barely worthy of the name.

Plus I just enjoy using my knives! For cleaning I keep a couple of small alcohol swabs in my wallet. These work well for clearing off the grease after dining. My knives stay nice and clean in the sheath I use.

My wife is just as 'sympathetic for this as yours. But the way I see it, she'll just find something else to bitch about, so I just don't care anymore!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza, Willy and swedishelite22 like this.
  11. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I've been using the No. 8 (carbon) for food prep for quite a while now. It's just about perfect size-wise (I wear medium gloves as well) and is comfortable to use for extended periods of time. When I'm done I rinse, dry and coat with a bit of mineral oil.

12. swedishelite22

No. 8 in stainless with the traditional beech handle is now inbound.

We'll see how much of a slippery slope this turns out to be, so many sexy options.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

Moshe ben David and twin63 like this.
  13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

One thing to note is to pay attention to how you clean and store the knife with regards to getting the handles wet - as I found out to my detriment when I cried one for a while, the wooden handles will swell if they get moist which will jam the blade action. Mine ended up being essentially useless when camping if it rained too much or got damp, which included 'washing it in a sink to get food residue of the blade and handle'.

I can only assume that others have had better success with Opinels than I did and mine had some issue - they seem too popular for something as flawed as mine was...

14. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

You've never dined in a place that provides totally inadequate cutlery? Lucky you. I remember a Christmas party years ago where my pocket knife ended up making the rounds and cutting everyone's steaks since the butter knives were sharper than the "steak knives".

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

I've read IIRC, that the versions where the handles are painted/stained hold up better although no claims made for holding the handle under a stream of water. I think they also have a version with a polymer handle? At any rate, whilst 2 of my Opinels are 'natural' wood handles, one is in fact a wood handle which is stained. The latter does seem just a tad more resistant to ambient humidity.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Seems that must be an american thing. Even the cheapest pizza place in my city has serrated blades that cut like they should.

Cannot imagine you could open a restaurant anywhere in europe and hand out butter knifes or plastic cutlery.

I once read an interview with a european journalist working in the states. When asked about oddities, he stated that he always carries his own cutlery when traveling the country, as the so-called cutlery handed out in diners would be embarassing to hand out even on a childrens birthday party to eat cake.

17. swedishelite22

I wouldn't say that. Most of the time when pictures are posted of people using their own knives being used while dining out it isn't a grab-n-go looking place which prompted my question.

I eat at a number of places that only have plastic knives, though most of the items I eat at these places are finger foods (pizza, chicken tenders, hot wings, burgers, hot dogs, etc) so I don't let need to cut. That said, my children constantly request their chicken cut which is admittedly a pain in the rear; I just never thought to bring my own knife. Perhaps the Opi will see more use than originally thought.

That is very plausible. I know a couple exchange students that once remarked how amazed they were kids here wore lounge/pajama pants in public, "something that world never fly in Germany". I wish it wasn't the case but that's a whole other conversation.

18. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Haha. You see these kind of lounge pants a lot actually. Mostly younger people, students or people after work enjoying the lake or going to the gym. Totally acceptable in any bigger city where noone bats an eye how people are dressed.

I dont give a *** how others like to dress. The most cringeworthy stereotype that has been mocked upon since 20 years are elderly german males that rock sport socks, trecking sandals, shorts, checkered button shirt with short sleeves and a baseball hat and manpurse as soon as summer comes or they get in tourist mode somewhere else. But hey, they are elderly and so should be comfortable in the heat and deserve just like everyone else to not care what others think. Live and let live.

Payamas/lounge pants are totally fine if you ask me.

You wont find me ever wearing any of these options I mentioned, though. I lived a few years in southern europe and you will never catch me in summer without proper long pants unless I go to the beach or hang out in my garden. A saying is.. If in rome, do as the romans do.. and they are always well dressed in Rome, no matter how hot. After all, clothing protects you from the sun.

But to put the thread back on track.. the opinel is so light, you can even edc it in lounge pants :D ..good summer knife.

And yes, the Opinels tend to get stuck if they get closed wet or get moist for prolonged time. Put the ring part in warm olive oil with knife closed and let it soak. this will seal the crucial part from water for a while. I also liked to wipe a bit of olive oil over the carbon blade and the handle from time to time to prevent rust and feed the wood some oil. But if you use it regularily and dry and maintain it with some common sense, it will serve you well for a long time.

I have seen terribly stuck opinels size 12 or 13 or bigger.. i saw huge ones in kitchens that have been in use for years open and were almost impossible to close. Probably they have been through dishwashers or whatnot.. But since they were used as kitchen knives, why bother. But if you use them as a pocket knife, you should be fine.

And if it should be stuck, you can just pry off the rings off, use a nail to get the pin out that connects knife to handle, pull blade out, remove bit of wood with a file, reassemble and it will be just like new again.

We are talking about a 10$ knife, but the 3 or 4 opinels I had always really grew on me. I lost them all over time and have not had a new one since years, but I drilled lanyard holes through them or carved the handle or treated them with fire to bring out the wood structure. They are such loveable items.

Also, in europe, they are known just like swiss army knifes as cheap reliable knives to everyone and are a staple item in each outdoor or knife store and should be no problem to carry around and use in public.
    I still remember several situations with people asking several others around not for a knife, but "anybody has an opinel?", because they knew almost everyone around had one.

Enjoy yours!

Last edited by flux, Aug 24, 2018
    #18 flux, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have considered purchasing the No 9 Oyester knife. The handle is the standard size for the No 9 but the blade is shorter than a regular No 9.

20. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

I think the #8 is the best all around size. I have one with carbon steel & the wood handle. If it was pretty much just for food prep, I'd get the #8 Outdoor model (SS with the synthetic handle) as it'd handle being wet & cleaned often better, IMHO.

But none of the ones suggested (Or the one that the OP got) are bad choices at all.