1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which one of these three Vics as EDC? [POLL]

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Redneck Bear, Apr 4, 2017.

?

Which one of these three Vics as EDC?

Poll closed May 4, 2017.
  1. Victorinox Farmer

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Victorinox Huntsman

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Victorinox Camper

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Ya know I thought for sure when I was younger I had this knife but then all I've been able to find was the Huntsman. Gonna a have to correct that. Thanks.

2. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Aaah, the usual corkscrew VS phillips dilemma. :)
    Anyway, interesting thing - here in Czech Republic the Fieldmaster costs almost 50 percent more than the Huntsman. Just weird ...

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The importer doesn't import them, so demand vs supply are out of whack?

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear likes this.
  4. Redneck Bear

I have no idea why is that ...
    I was looking at the main Czech price comparison site Heureka and I found the cheapest prices available and it was like I said - Fieldmaster much more expensive.
    Maybe T phillips isnt as popular around here, I dont know - but I know people even among my close friends who prefer to have screwdriver rather than corkscrew ...

5. Redneck Bear

OT: Is it normal that my cellidor knives' big blades' sides are being scratched by the sides of the small blades during opening?
    When I open the big blade by holding it in my left hand and opening using my right hand, it's ok. When I switch hands I guess I'm pushing more on the blade and I can hear scratching sound. And the middle parts of the lenght of the big blade are scratched. This goes for both the Camper and th Huntsman.
    I'm curious just if it's normal that the blades ride sooo near to each other ...

On the picture is my Camper. The scratches in question are those in the middle. Don't pay any attention to the very scratched tip, I managed to do it somehow with a whetstone - I hope I improved since those times :eek: .

PS: I guess the correct term is "abrasions"? http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/996306-Abrasions-on-Victorinox-Blades

[​IMG]

Last edited by Redneck Bear, Apr 12, 2017
    #25 Redneck Bear, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. Moshe ben David

@Redneck Bear: This kind of thing seems to happen on many types of slip joint knives. In order for the blades/tools to all fit properly in relatively close quarters, overlapping items are in fact purposely 'bent' out of line a bit. I've seen a specific term for this, but I forget what it is.

In some situations this does result in some superficial scratching as you observe. I've seen discussions of this not only for Victorinox, but also for example, for Case.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear likes this.
  7. Redneck Bear

Thanks for your response. So, it is safe to disregard this, I suppose?

8. Moshe ben David

I do.

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear likes this.
  9. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

Of those, my favorite is the Farmer, because of look and feel. But for EDC, Huntsman.

I once got a chance to work with a great custom knifemaker, Mike Vagnino. During lunch, I asked him what he carries. He said: "A Swiss Army Knife. It has scissors."

Moshe ben David and Redneck Bear like this.
  10. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

If I could only choose one it would be the Huntsman because of the Saw & Scissors. That said I carry a Climber most of the time.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  11. Redneck Bear

BTW as for the nylon versions of the knives mentioned in the poll (the cellidor ones of course) - is it true, that the nylon scales are filled in, ulike the "hollow" cellidor ones? And if yes, is it in any way better - durability, how it holds on the knife, grip ... ? Apart from the higher durability of the nylon, of course ...
    For the straight pin I suppose I'd have to drill a hole for that one myself ...

12. Redneck Bear

One more OT so I don't start another thread:
    I heard that sharpening using whetstone is damaging the blades of Vic knives - that it sharpens it but removes quite a lot material ... or something like that. Is that true? Because I've been doing it but only for a few months so I can't tell if that's true ...

13. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

sharpening by any means removes metal. Ideally you want to keep knives sharp by the least aggressive means you can. In other words, don't use a stone if a strop will fix the edge, don't use a medium grit stone if a fine one will do, etc.

Redneck Bear and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. Redneck Bear

Just to "close" this thread for me, I ended up with:
    - Camper being my EDC knife in front right pocket or on red neck (lol) paracord lanyard. Out of the three it's the lightest, is pretty slim and still has many tools.
    - Huntsman is in my EDC bag (like a larger multitool for me), along with my folder (Rat-1).
    - Farmer is in my BOB (as a very durable knife that sure wouldn't fail me in a crisis), along with my fixed blade (Hultafors GK).

Thank you for your opinions and information, guys! Enjoy your EDCing! :)

[​IMG]

PS: I just changed the Camper for a nylon Camper II. :)

Last edited by Redneck Bear, May 5, 2017
    #34 Redneck Bear, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.