1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which one of these three Vics as EDC? [POLL]

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Redneck Bear, Apr 4, 2017.

?

Which one of these three Vics as EDC?

Poll closed May 4, 2017.
  1. Victorinox Farmer

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Victorinox Huntsman

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Victorinox Camper

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I can't decide whether to EDC the Huntsman or the Farmer (or possibly the Camper) ... I decided on putting this poll here though ... :D

From an EDC knife I expect - Victorinox 91-93mm, blade, can opener, small flathead, woodsaw, awl + if possible, then corkscrew. I came down with this list.

Victorinox Farmer
    ++ sturdier (for me that means more durable, but with damage being there forever)
    ++ larger main blade with stronger springs in general
    ++ better awl
    + thinner
    + lighter (than the Huntsman)

Victorinox Huntsman
    ++ scissors
    ++ small secondary blade
    + corkscrew, hook, pin (I'm not much into toothpick, tweezers and miniscrewdriver)
    + ability to change damaged scales (but possible cracking or getting loose is quite the disadvantage)
    + classic red Vic look

Victorinox Camper when compared with the the Farmer
    ++ small secondary blade
    ++ lighter
    + corkscrew, hook, pin (I'm not much into toothpick, tweezers and miniscrewdriver)
    + ability to change damaged scales (but possible cracking or getting loose is quite the disadvantage)
    + classic red Vic look

And when compared with the Huntsman ... the Camper is just thinner and much lighter because of losing the woodsaw.

So please, pick your choice from these three and post your ideas as you wish. :)

2. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I carry the huntsman every day, in pretty pleased with what it has to offer

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Redneck Bear likes this.
  3. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I use the Farmer along with my One Hand Trekker. Only thing I don't like about the Farmer is because of the scales their is no toothpick. I was looking at the Huntsman but the Farmer is hard to beat for the size and weight. But a Vic is my backup alway have a larger blade.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  4. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

From your choices listed I EDC the Farmer. Though it shares pocket rotation with my Pioneer and Pioneer X.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I actually have (amongst quite a few!) both the Huntsman and the Farmer. Both show up as edc on a regular basis. As does my SuperTinker and Pioneer-X. And Spartan with an SE blade. No, I'm not going to list the entire herd...!

Of the choices you put in the poll though, I lean towards the Huntsman partly because of the scissor, partly because of the tweezers, partly because of the corkscrew (which I use to house a micro tip screwdriver).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear likes this.
  6. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I've never understood why SAKs have corkscrews. How often does the American market buyer find the sudden, unprepared need to pull a cork which is hard to do with even a good tool.

7. Redneck Bear

Myself, I really *HATE* the T phillips screwdriver so it's corkscrew for me all the way ... and many people carry the miniscrewdriver for their glasses there ... :)
    As for the cork - I prefer to pull it out using the can opener anyway ... :D

I had this very combination but I disliked the PX for some reason (the nailnick being only a part of it) and while I love the Pioneer I feel naked when without woodsaw lol ...

Last edited by Redneck Bear, Apr 5, 2017
    #7 Redneck Bear, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I get the feeling that the corkscrew is A) a bit of a holdover from older SAK designs made when drinking corked wine in the field may have been more common and B) not for the American market, which doesn't seem to gravitate toward wine as much as many European markets do anyway. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

You really can't go wrong with any SAK. I'll state that I prefer 2 layer knives over 3 and smaller frames if cellidor (I really like 84mm cellidor), but that's just me. I also prefer the stouter construction of the Alox Pioneer range which, for some reason, is more carryable to me than 91mm cellidor in my opinion (but that may be because my 91mm knife in my small collection is a chunky three-layer). If you need an awl, the 93mm Alox awl is fabulous. So I'd go with the farmer if I were in your shoes.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

@thatotherguy is correct I think that the corkscrew is a holdover plus a trait more European perhaps than US. It isn't the only tool.

Take for example the parcel hook found on many of the celidor handled designs. That dates back to an era when merchants literally wrapped purchases with paper and twine; the hook made it easier to carry said parcels. Turns out the hook is pretty versatile for other things. There are a number of YouTube videos demonstrating different ways to use the hook and other tools. Here are a few:

this one is a favorite of mine

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza, thatotherguy and Redneck Bear like this.
  10. Redneck Bear

Thanks for your input! :) I really like the Vics and have had some of them - I still got the Pioneer, Spartan, Farmer, Camper and Huntsman and after ditching the thinnest two I'm having this thread's dang dilemma ... :D

Yeah! The NikGyver!!! :D

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

For me the Farmer would probably be my preferred option, though it also depends on what you need of the tool.

One thing you mention in your comments is the risk of damage - in my experience this isn't really a big worry, as over many years of carrying SAK's I have never caused anything other than superficial aesthetic damage - a few scuffs to the celidor handled knives, and slight dings to one alox model after dropping it on concrete.

For me the choice is in function versus feel - comparing my farmer and huntsman, the alox model just feels more substantial - the scales and tool just seems beefier and tougher, and while on paper the difference is pretty tiny, in hand it is noticeable. The advantage to the huntsman on the other hand is the better toolset - the scissors being the big one, but also the toothpick and tweezers, a spare blade and so on. For me, if the alox gives you the tools you feel you want, then it is the better knife, but the huntsman will give you more versatility outwith those tools...
    The camper obviously sits somewhere in the middle - the basic tools of the farmer, but smaller, lighter and with the extra scale and backspacing tools missing from the alox. If size and weight are an issue, and you don't need the huntsman scissors then this is a pretty safe bet.

If it gives any form of reference - for years my go-to knife when camping was an old huntsman, which more recently has been replaced by the farmer alongside a classic/rambler kept nearby to give me the small scissors and tweezers. For urban life I grab the cadet first, as it does what I need in a smaller and more pocketable form.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  12. ArkansasFan30

I think a cutting blade, Phillips, flat, and scissors are the way to go. I carried a Wenger for 20 years and keep it secreted away as an heirloom item. I bought because I watched MacGyver...Who usually had a corkscrew.

13. Moshe ben David

For urban/suburban carry, and for those who lean towards an Alox and hence the Farmer -- but hesitate due to lack of scissors -- give serious consideration to the Pioneer X. Basically same size and weight as the Farmer; mostly same tools. I say mostly because the Pioneer X gives up the saw -- but gains a nice set of scissors. Should be a serious contender given these thoughts!

And yes, I have both; they trade of time slots in the rotation you see...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear likes this.
  14. Redneck Bear

Yeah, that about Mac and corkscrew is really interesting. I thought he mainly had phillips - Tinker is his no. 1 knife according to the MacGyver SAK database (http://www.macgyveronline.com/database/saks) - but my "excel study" of the matter :D I did some time ago shows he had carried knives with corkscrew 48%, phillips 32% and none of that 20% of the time.
    He even used Huntsman twice! :D No alox though - I guess they didn't want to change the "trademark red folder" custom ... :)

PS: He used Victorinoxes, only few Wengers though ...

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  15. ArkansasFan30

And a couple of generics.

Season one just started over on MeTV and he's used a corkscrew, 2 knife blades, and what I believe is an orange peeler a few times.

I don't recall him ever carrying a wallet which is interesting to me.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  16. Redneck Bear

Did he even carried any wallet, ever? Anyway, I always liked his lightweight way ... house key (sometimes), SAK, some coins and a few bills, drivers licence and that's that, only later he carried also the Phoenix Foundation ID card. My pants' pockets are full of more sh- ... stuff like phone, fat wallet with about 10 cards, flashlight, bunch of keys with other items, bandana, lighter etc ... :D

17. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

18. Redneck Bear

It's nice. :) But as I wrote - can opener and small flathead and woodsaw are a must for me ... :)

#18 Redneck Bear, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Huntsman for me. I own 3 of them. In fact besides the Classic and my Spirit it's the only Vic I own. My only complaint is the cork screw should be swapped out for a phillips screwdriver.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Have you looked at the Victorinox Fieldmaster? Looks to me like it is basically the same as the Huntsman except has the phillips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear likes this.