1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which one do you prefer Seiko Monster or Seiko skx007?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Lio, Nov 18, 2009.

1. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Since this thread began, I acquirred an Orange Monster to keep my Pepsi Diver company. Now I have the best of both worlds and wear both watches in my EDC rotation.

2. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

I have both and the 007 for me keeps better time that my monster.

3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Both watches use the same movement. Seiko's 7s26 movement is robust. But accuracy can vary significantly watch to watch. Another individual owning both models could easily have both be accurate, both be inaccurate, or an accurate Monster and an inaccurate SKX007.

4. SharpScott

SharpScott Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of the 007 personally and had the fortunate position of being able to see a friends monster before I got the 007. I hated the rubber divers band it came on though, although I already had a Timefactors NATO band sat here waiting for it. I'm still working on getting it to hold decent time though. It was running very fast, it was adjusted inside and is now running very slow :laugh: guess it needs popping exactly in between where it was and where it is now!

I'm not too bothered about that though, I know auto's can be a little temperamental until you get them running perfectly right :smitten:

Scott.

5. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

I just got an SKX007 in, with no country of origin marked on it. Definitely grey market.

I've been wearing chronographs and such for a long time, some quartz, some auto. Most were bling enhancement - shiny pips, lots of style, jewelry like. We wear watches like that for a reason. What I wanted was something that had function first, with no concession to social status. A watch to see what time it is, which the SKX does very well. Nothing else added, pure Duty.

I'm not fond of leather, rubber, silicone, or woven straps, because their service life is measured in months, not decades. SS bracelets are far more durable, won't soak up noxious fluids, or become obnoxious smelling. The engineer style is least associated with a certain top tier Swiss brand, so I have one of those inbound. With solid end links and high end clasp, that will say enough on the social side.

The Monster seems to be a more rugged version, but in reality, Dive watches aren't used for diving, so the variation is all about the bright orange dial, huge revolver like bezel, and flash. Not that I haven't looked at them, but that's more jewelry and less watch. Most of what is out there in variations seems to be recombinant versions of bling, not function. A custom Monster to me would extend that with silver dial and hands, and fluted bracelet, all polished. Jack up the .357 theme, so to speak - which would be overstatement.

I'm enjoying what the SKX does best - large lume indicators, no comments from the peanut gallery. Those that know I got it just say "meh" and move on. Perfect - it blends in, unnoticeable, and doesn't do anything to draw attention. For an EDC watch, that's the eptiome of tactical for everyday wear. It just blends in.

Wear any watch with a blaze orange dial, and you're asking to be noticed. Your choice.

6. gtmule

gtmule Loaded Pockets

7. experimentjon

experimentjon Loaded Pockets

Too bad Seiko doesn't make a GMT SKX model...I'd love to get an LRRP mod for less than the price of Bill Yao's famous mod.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Personally I would go for the SKX007 - I much prefer the more traditional and classic look it has, and alongside that am just not a fan of the look the monsters have, so they are already at a pretty hefty disadvantage in my eyes.

In the end though, while I would love a 007 the watch itself is just slightly too big for my wrist, so I went for a smaller equivalent that I feel wears better (the Citizen BN0000-04H)

9. Bodeen

Bodeen Loaded Pockets

I prefer the more classic appearance of the 007. I lusted after one for years. Finally purchased one in '03 and though it runs just a little fast, I don't have any issues whatsoever with it.

10. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Had both and kept the monster... just has something special over other basic looking divers.

I'll kill for a red one ;D

11. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

It's probably no help now, the SKX013 is in the next size smaller case. Looks almost identical, just a mm or so less. Same movement.

I'm 6.75, the 007 is about as big as I would go - it was a matter of complete readability in any conditions that was important.

12. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

I love the "Monster". So much that I made a group on Facebook. Check it out.

13. Sniff

Sniff Loaded Pockets

I like the Monster if you were looking to keep it stock.

If you wanted to mod the hell out of it, go 007...

14. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

False.

This is my SnowMonster MOD. I didn't do this myself.
    But the Monster and the 007 are comparable when it comes to modding.
    Different dials and they cross work with each others parts. Monster is easier since you can do a little more crazy and get away with it.

[​IMG]

Have an Orange Monster.
    Grabbing a Ecozilla in a couple days. Then onto a Land Monster.

15. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

That's sweet. The Snow Monster is on the top of my wish list.

Rattlesnake likes this.
  16. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

I use an SKX007 on a black Zulu strap for daytime/work and switch to Monsters for nighttime/going out.

For weekends/outdoors, I use my grab and go G Shock XL Military.

[​IMG]

17. chaka

chaka Loaded Pockets

So, what are good reliable online places that sell SKX007 and ship internationally?

18. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

19. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

You could do a search on eB*y.

20. DimGR

DimGR Loaded Pockets