1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Multitool do you carry?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by CanDo, Sep 21, 2006.

?

Which Multitool(s) do you carry?

1. LM Wave New

148 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. LM Core

4 vote(s)
    0.4%
  3. LM Surge

43 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. LM Charge TI

77 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. LM Charge XTi

26 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. LM Squirt

65 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. LM Blast

15 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. LM Micra

45 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. LM Fuse

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. LM Kick

14 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. LM Wave Old

51 vote(s)
    5.4%
  12. LM Supertool

43 vote(s)
    4.6%
  13. Other Retired LM (please specify)

23 vote(s)
    2.4%
  14. Gerber 400 Series

18 vote(s)
    1.9%
  15. Gerber 600 Series

13 vote(s)
    1.4%
  16. Gerber 650 Series

5 vote(s)
    0.5%
  17. Gerber 700 Series

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  18. Gerber 800 Series

4 vote(s)
    0.4%
  19. Victorinox Swiss Tool

32 vote(s)
    3.4%
  20. Freebie or Cheap, Made in China

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  21. SOG Powerlock

40 vote(s)
    4.2%
  22. SOG Cross Grip

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  23. SOG Cross Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. SOG EOD

5 vote(s)
    0.5%
  25. SOG Pocket

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  26. SOG Pocket Deluxe

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  27. SOG ParaTool

5 vote(s)
    0.5%
  28. Schrade Tough Tool

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  29. Schrade Tough Chip

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  30. Schrade Multi Tool Boxed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. Schrade Imperial Multitool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. Schrade Tradesman Tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. LM Juice

74 vote(s)
    7.8%
  34. SOG Power Plier

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  35. Other

96 vote(s)
    10.2%
  36. Victorinox Spirit

72 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

Actually the Wilson belongs to a close friend, but a :censored: fine 1911 it is.

2. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Well, for me, it's been a process of constant upgrading (LM Supertool to LM Wave to LM New Wave to LM Charge XTi to finally a LM Charge TTi). Leatherman is a great company that listens to it's customers suggestions and often responds, add to that it's guarantee and superb customer service, and it's hard to find a better combination of quality, utility and value.

The Leatherman Charge TTi which I currently carry is one of those responses (to "wishes" posted on their forum). I think it is the best of all the multi-tools if you compare features. It's basically a "New" Wave with Titanium scales. Best thing about the Wave series was one-hand opening, locking blade. The best thing about the XTi was the serrated blade with the seatbelt/gutting hook, plus the crimper and offset cam in the main pliers. The XTi also had redundant large bit ports, sacrificing the scissors from the Wave. The Leatherman Charge TTi fixed all of these problems, putting all the best features on one tool, and then upgraded it with Titanium scales!

The TTi has the popular serrated blade with the hook (useful for cutting straps quickly, or gutting), as well as the very sharp regular blade. Both main blades are smoothly one-hand opening and locking. There is still the locking saw and the file. It has the one large bit socket which, with the "bit kit", can be adapted with double ended bits to about 20 different driver heads of various sizes and shapes. Instead of the redundant 2nd large bit socket, the very functional scissors are back. The small bit socket fits the micro-screwdriver heads. The decent can opener and a medium flat head screwdriver are also still there. ALL tools on the Leatherman TTi lock into place now. Another favourite golden oldie to return is the metric and SAE "ruler" along the edge of the tool (useful for giving some photographs scale). The needle nose pliers are and have always been a serious pro-grade tool, with that oval cam for improved leverage, and the wire cutters at the apex. As I mentioned, the TTi ncludes the crimper (ostensibly desireable for EOD work). The handles with Titanium scales are very comfortable with beveled edges and rounded end caps. In it's current configuration, it is a great combination of REAL tools, but then Leatherman went and added the wonderous super-metal, Titanium! Why? probably for weight savings, but more likely just to show off... LOL (since they offer a cheaper Aluminum version also). Titanium is much stronger than steel, but is as light as Aluminum. It's incredibly heat resistant (used in everything from space capsules to hyper-sonic aircraft). It is non-magnetic and does not register on magnetic anomaly based metal detectors. Titianium is highly resistant to corrosion (even seawater). The element Titanium has only one "bad" idiosyncrasy that I know of. (any guesses??). The Aluminum scales version is probably just as effective in practical use, but the Titanium scales version was brought back by popular demand (for those that don't mind the extra expense for the ultimate in quality).

There are not many further improvements to the TTi that I can suggest. The only things that come to mind are helpful but specialized tools that can snap into the bit socket. The most desireable thing would be a "ratchet" device that could snap into the socket, and then the bit snaps into this ratchet device, allowing ratcheting use of the screwdrivers. For law enforcement/corrections professionals, it would be useful if a handcuff key bit were available. I know this is kind of a stretch, but as a scientist, explorer and geo-cacher, I would find both a small rectangular inspection mirror and a small 4X magnifier lens very useful from time to time, like to be able to snap on into the large socket.

I carry mine in a OD green Bianchi (UM-84 series) magazine holder case. The TTi fits in one plastic-sleeve lined pocket, and in the other, I have a Innova X-5 LED light and an ASP mini-Defender (defensive spray with UV dye). Advantage of this set up is that it is compact, looks innocent, and I can detach it from my belt (a Blackhawk CQB Rescue Belt) and wear it with everything from my grungiest jeans to my nicest suit.

3. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

A cheapo knockoff :( I don't have much money and can't find someone to hire me for a job(not a felon or anything, just young lol).

4. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

An orange juice S2 has been living in my pocket for about 6 mos now. Don't even know it's there until someone needs it.

5. chriscoobs

chriscoobs Empty Pockets

I RARLEY use my leatherman supertool anymore but its still a great tool. I carried it all the time for about 3 yrs, but changed jobs and i dont need it daily anymore, but i still keep it in my EDC bag. Its only down side IMO is the weight for pocket carry (belt carry is how i carried it).

6. pvsoriano

pvsoriano Loaded Pockets

I have three LM's: Micra, Wave Old & Skeletool CX (voted other as it wasn't listed). I EDC the LM Micra when I'm at work and the LM Skeletool CX when I'm not. The LM Wave Old stays in my BOB.

7. Tink

Tink Loaded Pockets

I have (but no longer EDC) a LM Micro. Yes, that's Micro, NOT Micra. It is the same size as a Micra, but it has pliers instead of the scissors that the Micra has. It came long before the Squirt that I now carry, which has a much nicer feel and is quite a bit smaller. (A good thing.)

8. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

:worthless:

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

The poll asked me to specify my "other retired LM", so it's a Pulse. I like it, but I usually carry the Vic Spirit. I also have both Squirt P4 & S4 stashed in some bags. And I have a SpydeRench somewhere, but I don't carry that one often.

That's interesting, I didn't even know they had such a model.

10. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

you forgot the skeletool

11. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I have 3 Gerber 400s. One for the car, duty belt, and off duty/day off carry. I also have a Gerber Crux thats in a BOB.

12. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I'm selling all my multitools except for:

LM Charge Ti
    LM Charge Al
    LM Skeletool CX
    LM Skeletool

These will rotate as needed. On lighter occasions I'll still have a Prybaby XL or a Vic Soldier around, for when a pliers-based MT is not needed/foreseen.

13. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I still carry a Bucktool 360, which I bought around 1997 or so to replace a lost Leatherman PST that I had had since about 1992.

I paid $80 for that Bucktool. I think I got my moneys worth.

14. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Other than the Swiss tool and the Blast, I sometimes carry a Coleman Pro Lock. I like it because of the removeable tools, so I can use a driver and pliers at the same time.

15. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

16. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Oh, by the way...

I didn't see the Leatherman Crunch on the poll list. You may want to add it.

If I could afford to, I'd get both a LM Crunch, and a LM Surge. :broke:

17. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

Lots are missing. ie. Skeletool

18. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

Where'd you find that?!

19. Tink

Tink Loaded Pockets

As I indicated, it is years old (though carried but never used). I simply went to a gear store and gave them my money. I was gifted with a Micra shortly before this buy and felt that it was a 'girlie' tool. I wanted the pliers, so bought myself the Micro.

20. Tink

Tink Loaded Pockets

Exactly! That's why I posted. It's a tool that seems to have come and gone with rippling the space/time continuum.