1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Multitool do you carry?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by CanDo, Sep 21, 2006.

?

Which Multitool(s) do you carry?

1. LM Wave New

148 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. LM Core

4 vote(s)
    0.4%
  3. LM Surge

43 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. LM Charge TI

77 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. LM Charge XTi

26 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. LM Squirt

65 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. LM Blast

15 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. LM Micra

45 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. LM Fuse

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. LM Kick

14 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. LM Wave Old

51 vote(s)
    5.4%
  12. LM Supertool

43 vote(s)
    4.6%
  13. Other Retired LM (please specify)

23 vote(s)
    2.4%
  14. Gerber 400 Series

18 vote(s)
    1.9%
  15. Gerber 600 Series

13 vote(s)
    1.4%
  16. Gerber 650 Series

5 vote(s)
    0.5%
  17. Gerber 700 Series

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  18. Gerber 800 Series

4 vote(s)
    0.4%
  19. Victorinox Swiss Tool

32 vote(s)
    3.4%
  20. Freebie or Cheap, Made in China

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  21. SOG Powerlock

40 vote(s)
    4.2%
  22. SOG Cross Grip

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  23. SOG Cross Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. SOG EOD

5 vote(s)
    0.5%
  25. SOG Pocket

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  26. SOG Pocket Deluxe

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  27. SOG ParaTool

5 vote(s)
    0.5%
  28. Schrade Tough Tool

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  29. Schrade Tough Chip

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  30. Schrade Multi Tool Boxed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. Schrade Imperial Multitool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. Schrade Tradesman Tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. LM Juice

74 vote(s)
    7.8%
  34. SOG Power Plier

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  35. Other

96 vote(s)
    10.2%
  36. Victorinox Spirit

72 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Loaded Pockets

Schrade Vice-Grips with the needle nose daily driving truck. Off days, or evenings, Leatherman SuperTool

2. MichaelU167

MichaelU167 Empty Pockets

I always have a Squirt S2 attached to my Fatboy. I always carry my Leatherman k500x, period. After that, it's what I feel like. I've got a Juice S2 & KF4 for light days (home and woods, respectively), then a Charge Ti I keep in my car for when I feel like I need a heavier tool and I don't have my Fatboy, and I keep a Charge AlX in the Fatboy as well. If I need more *oomph*, out comes the heavier tool.

3. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a well known name brand multi-tool myself until I found a couple superior options ( based on 30+ years as a fire fighter, police officer and bomb disposal technician ( EOD ). I have owned a number of multi tools over the years and abused them all ( that's why the good ones have a lifetime warranty ). The three best for the money are the 1. SOG Powerlock , 2. Victorinox Swiss Army Knife SwissTool RS and 3. SOG Pocket PowerPlier (PPP)- don't waste your money on anything else - " Leather Guy " can't come close to a SOG or Victorinox in performance, functionality and warranty - in my opinion!!! I do own other brand multitools and have a desk drawer full of them and they are used solely for opening envelopes and packages. When I need a multitool at work I want a ‘real’ multitool that I can depend on to do the job at hand - the following 3 are my choices, depending on the assignment.

The first multi-tool worth your money is a SOG Powerlock ( various models are now available to suit your needs). This folding tool isn't new, a fact that speaks to its highly regarded Compound Leverage mechanism that generates twice the pressure and gripping power of lesser tools. To wit: this thing is the Jaws of multitools. Beyond strength, you'll love the pivoting handle covers that really do improve comfort and dexterity. All the essential tools are intricately positioned for deployment, including a quarter-inch drive socket, spring-loaded scissors, half-serrated knife blade, saw, several screwdrivers and Phillips-style model, wire cutters, file... and on and on. And for you showoffs out there, the PowerLock's ability to open with a quick flick of the wrist is undeniably cool. The PowerLock features removable, pivoting handle covers that improve the comfort profile for your hand. More pressure can now be exerted on those tough jobs! Like the rest of the family in the PowerPlier® series, the PowerLock can be opened and closed with a one-handed flip of the wrist. This is a basic requirement from SOG as so often one is holding wires or standing on a ladder and does not have both hands free. All tool components are easy to access and lock in the open position. The Phillips even locks in two open positions. With one of the simplest and safest locking devices ever engineered, just press the back of the lock and close the component into the handle. Included in the handles of this compact tool box is the first foldable 1/4" drive that will turn sockets or, with a standard adapter, any hex screwdriver tip. It will also turn heads! Scissors can be one of the most used tool components and we have answered that demand with foldable spring-loaded scissors that are extremely sharp. This patent pending marvel only has spring tension in the open position, an additional safety feature. Other components include: plier/gripper, wire cutter, crimper, double toothed wood saw, 1/2 serrated blade, 3-sided file, large screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, 1/4" drive, awl, can opener/small screwdriver, bottle opener/med. screwdriver, scissors, rulers and lanyard ring. PowerLock also comes with a heavy-duty, dark leather pouch A standard issue with any SOG multipurpose tool is the advantage of hex bolt construction. This essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components ( additional tool components are directly available from SOG for a modest charge). Features all stainless steel construction ( also available in a black oxide finish) and comes with a heavy duty leather pouch, a Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA.

With hex bolt construction holding the SOG's together - replacing tools is a snap...
    [img width=640 height=482]http://www.gulftel.com/gnoza/ebay/sogmods.jpg[/img]
    Various components available from SOG on line.....(LINK).

The second multitool in the lineup is a Victorinox SwissTool RS (Rescue and Survival) which comes equipped with both scissors and belt cutter which replace the serrated blade and the metal file and can be life saving in a auto accident. Tools included are: Pliers, Screwdriver (2mm), Screwdriver (3mm), Wire Cutter, Screwdriver (5mm), Bottle Opener, Screwdriver (7.5 mm), Large Blade, Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Metal Saw, Wood Saw, Reamer/Punch, Phillips Screwdriver, Chisel/Scraper, Strong Crate Opener, Wire Bender, Wire Stripper, Wire Scraper, Can Opener, Ruler (9 inches), Ruler (230mm), Electrical Crimper, Lanyard Hole . The SwissTool RS has the same features as the original SwissTool with two additional features: seatbelt cutter and scissors - something every first responder needs. Made in Switzerland with a lifetime warranty.

A Swisstool Spirit "S" is a nice substitution to it's full size brother the "SwissTool"... SwissTool Spirit S with two blades, a Combi-Edge Blade and a Large plain edge blade with a standard spear pointand still packs 27 other features in an ergonomic, rugged, lightweight design. Comes with a leather pouch with a lifetime warranty.

[img width=640 height=261]http://www.gulftel.com/gnoza/images/spiritclip.jpg[/img]
    Swiss Toll Spirit with pocket clip modification

The most recent addition , a third, that has been added to my arsenal of multitools and I find it adequate to do 95% of the jobs handled by the two mentioned above. Lighter and more compact than the PowerLock, its big brother, the Pocket PowerPlier ( Model #S44 ) is very easy to carry and use. SOG's Pocket PowerPlier is packed with essential tools that include pliers/grippers, wire cutters, partially serrated blade, Phillips screwdriver, three-sided file, can opener with a small screwdriver, bottle opener with medium screwdriver, an awl, rulers, lanyard and heavy duty leather pouch. Again the PPP’s advantage of hex bolt construction leaves all the other multitools running for cover as this essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components ( additional tool components are directly available from SOG for a modest charge) not offered by other multitool manufacturers. With the interghangability you can replace the partially serrated blade with a 3" plain edge blade and I also removed the 3 sided file and replaced it with a serrated line cutter. I find carrying the PPP a benefit because of less weight hanging on my belt ( 5.5 ounces vs 9.6 ounces for the PowerLock) . Also noted is SOG's Deluxe Pocket PowerPlier ( Model S45) whichs adds a large screwdriver, 1/4 socket drive however it loses the awl as a tool and weighs in at 5.5 ounces - same as he S44 model. Backed by a Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA.

[img width=640 height=634]http://www.gulftel.com/gnoza/images/pppmod.jpg[/img][img width=640 height=226]http://www.gulftel.com/gnoza/images/pppclip.jpg[/img]
    PPP MOD with LM pocket clip

ALL 3 multitools have their place in my life, and depending on the assignment for the day one of the three is on my belt and the other two are close by in the truck.

Andrew J. Gnoza, III

4. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

Though I don't discount my Leatherman Wave, Gerber and SOG, (all at the ready) I scaled down to a LM Skeletool SS for work and the CX for play.

5. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

6. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

I carry a Juice S2 because it is small enough that I can put it in my pocket (sorry guys, I think that multi-tools in belt sheaths look way too dorky), yet functional enough to be very useful day-to-day.

7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

A LM New Wave is my primary edc tool, with the LM micra as backup. I was able to get the micra through airport security as it does not have a knife, just scissors.

8. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

My Micra actually does have a small knife in the same leg as the nail cleaner/file tool.

9. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Great posting and info, many thanks.

Looks like something else for me to look at buying...

-----------

10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Whoops, boy was I wrong. Just looked to confirm and you are absolutly right. I missed it because the tip is broken off. Kinda looks like a flathead screwdriver. Well anyways the TSA guy let it pass. If I want to continue to carry it on an airline though I will have to remove the blade. Whats funny is the local TSA guy opened it up and looked at every part of the tool, while the TSA guy in Chicago Ohare didn't even take it out of the tray.

11. Leatherman Fan

Leatherman Fan Empty Pockets

I carry the old Leatherman Wave.

I've had it for about 9 years and I've used it just about everyday since.

12. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I have quite a few multitools. For years I EDC'd the old Leatherman Wave. A few months back I decided to pickup a SOG Paratool because I liked the size of it. It seems to be one of the smallest "full-sized" multitools out there. After adding a serrated line cutter and a double tooth saw I really like it. I've read on various forums that some don't like the way the plier head flips out so it can be used at multiple angles. I don't use the pliers at angles so that isn't an issue for me. The closest thing to size is a Leatherman Skeletool but it lacks the ability to modify it and doesn't have nearly the number of functions the SOG Paratool has. Not to mention the Paratool has a comfortable grip unlike the Skeletool. So if you are looking for a small, full-sized, multitool check out the SOG Paratool. :roof:

13. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I carry a Victorinox Swisstool daily for work and play. My Leatherman micra has a permanant home on my keys.

-Bill Liptak

14. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

LM Wave (old)... got it as a present (..." ah! Twas a Kingly gift!"). I have worn out the sheath that I used to carry it in and replaced it with the SpecOps Super Sheath :winkwink: and carry it horizontally. I own an original PST as well, but don't carry...it's a back-up.

I definitely need to get a smaller one though. My DW has an LM Micra, which I like, but I need to spec something different.

15. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

For my off duty carry I have Leatherman Charge XTI, for my work I have the Gerber Diesel and when suited up I have the Swiss Army tool... I like all of them for unique features but none of them is super perfect :)

16. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

LM Micra and SkeleTool CX in EDB. Old Wave on desk at home (value it more than others). Old SuperTool in BOB. Charge TTi in bag that goes from house to car (trunk bag). Optional bit set w/sheath (used for SkeleTool). Bits were separated so that the most likely needed ones are stored with SkeleTool and remainders in TTi's sheath. Got a well used Gerber (400 series I think) that I use when fishing.

17. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

I EDC:
    2 Surges (one black oxide, one normal)
    1 Skeletool
    1 bit set for the above tools

I used to EDC a Wave but I snapped it and haven't got around to sending it in for repair. Sometimes having 2 Surges is handy I've found. ;D

18. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

Here is my black Surge living next to my 6P LED in a custom 5-Shot Leather holster. EDC on my belt every day.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/DuluthDiesel/Surgeand6P.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/DuluthDiesel/Surgeand6P_back.jpg[/img]

And a look at it next to the holster for my Wave and 6P:
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/DuluthDiesel/waveandsurgeinholsters.jpg[/img]

19. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Can you post a pic of your Wilson in Handguns section while your at it? :drool: