1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Leatherman should I get?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by severdhed, Jul 22, 2020.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I'm itching for a new multitool, but having a little trouble deciding which way to go.

I've been carrying a skeletool as my primary knife for a while now. (Along with a vic huntsman to make up for the lack of tools)As a light weight option, it is great, I love having the pliers handy, but I'd rather have as larger, plain edge knife. If I'm going to carry a knife and a multitool, I feel like it is silly to not carry something a little more substantial than the skeletool.

I have a Leatherman surge, and while I considered it, it is just a little too heavy for pocket carry as my primary knife. Lately I've been carrying a Kershaw clash as my primary knife, along with my surge on my belt. This gives me lots of functionality, and I don't really notice the weight on my belt... But I can't help but want to have other options.

I almost picked up a wingman the other day, which I thought would be a step up on functionality over the skeletool with not much increase in weight, but it still has the combo blade and that tiny file/ruler is completely useless.

Then I got to thinking, perhaps I should just get a wave+. It would give me most of the functionality of the surge, in a lighter, slightly more pocket friendly design. I'm a little concerned that it will still be too heavy as a primary knife, and I'm afraid I would miss having the awl. The scissors are also tiny.

The last option that in considering is the Crunch. I know it would do nearly as many things as the other options, but it is fairly small and light, and I think having the locking pliers would be super handy. I've wanted this one for a while.

Leatherman doesn't make a tool that has all of the options that I would like. The surge comes the closest, but it is HEAVY.

I really wish you could by individual replacement tools so you could customize your own toolset. I'd take a wave plus, replace the plain blade with surge style scissors.drop the eye glasses driver and tiny scissors and replace them with an awl and package opener... But that isn't really an option.

What do you guys think I should get?

Wave+, wingman, or crunch?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

If you go with a belt sheath, all those options, surge included, are viable.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

The Free is a strange multitool with many nifty features, but it is not really a grown up tool is it? I mean look at the tiny file. What are we meant to actually do with it? I have always had the original Leatherman SuperTool, so I can not go back now, but i find the ultimate Leatherman to be the Charge Plus TTI. It is the last great model before Leatherman got weird. (A bracelet?... no thanks)

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

5. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I don't think the free series is ready for prime time. That tiny file and 1"ruler are basically useless, and who thought it was a good idea to remove the point from the awl?

Im leaning toward the Crunch at this point because it does something my surge doesn't. I can't help but feel that the Surge is superior to all of the other models, and I'm afraid that even if I pick up a wave, I will be disappointed with it.

I may just hold off until I find a good deal on a crunch, or something new comes out that fits my needs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Its not the first MT that LM has made with the minuscule file and ruler. For example, the REV.... basically a budget model. (assuming I didn't confuse it with the REBAR; I have both in various bags and the car but I'm too lazy to go pull them out. ;) )

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

GRH likes this.
  7. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I have an older Wave (not the + model) which I like very much but it resides in my glove box, not pocket. I've never seen a multi-tool I like better. However, I don't like the + model with the replaceable wirecutter blades. I think was was a design mistake as these tools are not meant to replace a toolbox and someone needing to use wirecutters a lot is ahead using proper wirecutters. But I wonder if a SAK with the tools one needs along with a Knipex Cobra 125mm locking wrench isn't a better idea.

8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I like my Victorinox multitool.

EDChris likes this.
  9. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

You are asking what Leatherman you should get next but have you looked at the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit? That seems to fit your criteria.

You also mention the Crunch but one of your problems with the Wave is the small scissors. The Crunch has no scissors.