1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which knife should i get, Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by MrPMC23, Apr 16, 2011.

1. MrPMC23

MrPMC23 Empty Pockets

Anyway, decision time.
    I am in a pickle and don't know what to do.

Here are some of the knives i am thinking about getting, but just can't decide which one(s) i want.

Folders:

Cold steel recon one clip point

Coldsteel American Lawman

SOG SOGzilla (large/Small)

Ontario RAT 1

Spyderco Resilience

Spyderco UKPK Drop Point (Maroon/Black)

Spyderco Delica (Green/Brown/Blue) FRN

Spyderco Centofante 3

Fixed Blades:

Gerber LMF II

KA-BAR Ulility fighting knife

Sog Seal pup elite

Ontario Spec Plus Marine Raider Bowie

Also any other good quality knives that you guys would recomend, please feel free to give me your input.

Also I would like to keep any knives in the 60 dollar range or just about there.

Thanks!

2. Skybolt

Skybolt Empty Pockets

In your targeted price area, I'd go with an Endura over the Delica.

Other than that, I'm not personally hands-on familiar with all on your lengthy list of possibilities. I will say I'm fairly well biased towards most Spyderco's.

For only about 10 bucks over your target price you may want to consider a Manix 2: http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/manix2c101gp2-154cm-new.aspx ...great knife for the money.

Also, if you can handle yellow, the home EDCF store has a neat yellow handled salt knife you might want to consider that's right on your target price. Don't know your main usage plans, but you could put this sucker away wet (not that you would for long normally) without the blade rusting. Bonus of supporting forum, too.

On the other hand, I'm thinking of picking up some of the colorful handled Endura 4's myself, being made in Japan... well, just saying. Great for the money, currently.

The Centofante 3, looks pretty interesting too, though I've never handled one of those before so can't say... I do dig the palladium bug on the handle.

Decisions, decisions! huh? Well, have fun with it and let us know your choice & resultant outcome.

3. knifemaster

knifemaster Empty Pockets

I personally like the Spyderco Delica Green FRN

4. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I would go with the Delica too, but you might want to embrace the fact that if you become like me (and a whole bunch of other guys on this forum), you will probably end up buying over half those on your list ;D

sx7

5. pl4stic

pl4stic Loaded Pockets

Whats the primary role for this knife?

Of the folders you listed, I like the Delica and the Centofante 3. The Delica is one of my favorites. In addition to the Endura and Salt series, check out the Spyderco Native.

6. MrPMC23

MrPMC23 Empty Pockets

Well I already have an endura ffg (sweet blade)
    I was also considering the manix 2.

But the main purpose of the blade would be EDC (folders)
    fixed would be for camping/hiking

Anyway thanks for the input!

7. MrPMC23

MrPMC23 Empty Pockets

Primary role would be EDC, and i am digging the centofante 3.

8. MrPMC23

MrPMC23 Empty Pockets

Well yeah it is true though, i have knives that 6 months ago i wish i could own.
    Delica is just rite.

9. TheMadTrucker

TheMadTrucker Loaded Pockets

I say all of them. I made a list and am checking them off one at a time. ;-)

10. MrPMC23

MrPMC23 Empty Pockets

Yes, that could be a possibility.
    But it would take lots of time and money. :)

11. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

It will take lots of time and money. You don't live super far from some great knife stores. There's a place called Recon 1 where you could probably handle a good amount of knives in person. The staff there is very helpful and knowledgeable and you should be able to make a good decision. Beats looking at pictures online.

Mention you came from EDCF and they should take care of you =)

http://www.recon-1.com/

12. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

I own the Delica, Endura, and Centofante from Spyderco. The Delica is my day-in, day-out EDC knife. Mine has a saber-ground, combo-edged blade and the handle is green FRN. This is a great knife, perfect size, easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. The Endura rides in my EDC bag and is probably the most "tactical" of these three with the longer blade length, but I have never really cared for the ergonomics of this knife. I have small hands and it just feels awkward to use. The Centofante is beautiful. I really, really like this knife. LOVE the blade shape, the ergonomics are great; just a sweet looking knife in general. Even though it was not a terribly expensive knife, it is so pretty that I usually only carry it when I'm dressing up, going into town and the like. Gets carried occasionally, but very little use and definitely no hard use. Just can't stand to jack it up. And for what it's worth, the Ontario RAT 1 is on my wish list.

13. RedGladius

RedGladius Loaded Pockets

It really depends on the Point of Use. The Recon 1 is the knife I'm looking to get. I know it's an awesome knife. I've held it before. Its ergos are perfect. The blade is a good 4" long. The steel is great, but a good value, and it has one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, lock out there today! I love the Spyderco Delica (though i prefer the Endura), but I just love the solid feel of the Recon 1 even more. It all depends on what you need it for, however.

14. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I have an Endura and love it, but for EDC I think I would actually prefer the Delica. As for fixed blades, especially if it's to be used for camping, I would definitely check out the Ka Bar/Becker BK2 Campanion. You should be able to find it for around $60.

15. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I edc a saber ground ZDP189 endura as a work knife it's a bit big but very durable I say get the ffg delica if you like the ffg endura the smaller knife might be a better fit for you. My favorite knife that I EDC now is a PS Spyderco Stretch it's not on your list but it's a great edc knife bigger than a delica but smaller than a endura VG10 flat ground blade for about the 60 bucks your looking to spend. or the spyderco native VG10 Hallow ground blade is also a great knife for 60$ for edc.

16. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

for the folder get the delica
    for the fixed blade get the marine raider bowie its great, ive been using it as my main outdoors blade for a year now and it hasnt let me down yet!

17. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

For an EDC role i would invest in the most light weight, user friendly knife that could take a beating if it had to :) now which of those you think would be able to accomplish that is up to you.

18. SP120K

SP120K Loaded Pockets

I EDC a brown Delica 4. Flat grind, plain edge. I think it weighs in at 2.3 oz and has a 2 7/8" blade. I like that I can get a lot of control on the blade, and the grip is very effective even if your hand is sweaty or wet. It's nearly invisible in the pocket which may be bad to some. I fell asleep on my side where my knife is at and I didn't notice the knife there. If you use it like it's designed; as a cutting tool only (don't stab car doors and stacks of beef ribs with it) I don't see why you wouldn't get years of service out of one. It all really depends on what you need to get out of it.

My usage often includes opening packages, cutting the occasional cardboard box, cutting 550 cord so a lot of smaller tasks. If your out there needing the split wood and make traps this wouldn't be the right knife at all.

19. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

I'd go with the the Cold Steel American Lawman for the folder and suggest a Becker BK-2 for the fixed blade. Can't go wrong with either one.

20. woods

woods Empty Pockets

My last 2 cold steel blades were horrid and people tell me I'm just unlucky but I've never had a bad Gerber or spyderco.

Currently my small folder is a Ken onion kershaw chive. My large folder is a spyderco factory defect and my long fixed is a Kabar but thinking of trying a lmf2.

On a side note there is nothing wrong with a 23 dollar glock knife if you want to save the cash.