1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Knife Sharpener?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Bravo 25, Mar 29, 2006.

1. hard h2o

hard h2o Empty Pockets

I will second the GATCO. The GATCO is similar to the Lansky.

The GATCO has bigger stones than the Lansky.
    It has 6 angles versus the Lansky's 4.
    The GATCO's rods simply pull out from the stone holder rather than requiring a setscrew like the Lansky.

I have the GATCO professional with their ultra fine, ultimate finishing, and coarse diamond hones added. The kit came with serrated, ultra coarse, coarse, medium, and fine hones. If you buy it at Cabela's you get the stand for free.

I also strop with bench strops and white and red polishing compound.

I give a dull blade the full treatment with the kit. Blades that just need a touchup get the ultra fine and ultimate finishing hones plus the strops.

2. woodylocksb

woodylocksb Empty Pockets

I love my Sharpmaker :angel:

3. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

As a young boy I can remember my father sitting at the kitchen table with his pocket knife, a can of honing oil and an Arkansas stone, back and forth, back and forth, turning the stone over for the dry side... on and on.

What have I used - started with the Arkansas stone route , but never could maintain a perfect angle to get a good sharp edge. Then off to a Lansky sharpening system, but that was a pain with clamps and flimsy rods.

Next down the pike was the ceramic "X" rods in a block of wood - and they kept a good edge without the hassle.

Last couple years was the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker - now that’s a fun and easy system to use and the instructional DVD is very informative, I also started using Paper wheels - more of an industrial approach to sharpening - very effective and works as advertised.

Now the screams - A couple weeks ago I picked up a Chef's Choice Professional Knife Sharpener #320 and like most people think at this point - it's one of those metal removing grinders like the kind on the back side of electric can openers - the man has lost his mind.. Well after sharpening all mine as well as the neighborhood's knives, I'm convinced the Model 320 is a realistic approach to knife sharpening. Paying $45.00 for a used one at the flea market was one of the best buys I've made in a long time.

This professional, two stage Diamond Hone electric knife sharpener incorporates conical 100% diamond coated disks in Stage 1 and a revolutionary stropping/polishing disk in Stage 2, to create, in just seconds, an edge of unprecedented sharpness and durability on fine edge (straight edge) and serrated knives. Enjoy this new stropping/polishing technology that resharpens with less metal removal than conventional means, even less than sharpening steels. High precision angle guides eliminate all guesswork. Model 320 FAQ

THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED / AMENDED - further down the thread.

4. Stormarm

Stormarm Empty Pockets

Hi all, this is my first post, I use what is called a Hoodoo hone.
    Which is a piece of wood, 6"x2"x1", with part of a mouse mat on one side, and a piece of leather one the other, it also has cuts in the ends to secure sand paper to the pad side.

This system works well for me, sometime to well, I sharpened a long handled hatchet a bit well and the hatchet went through a 4" oak branch and into my foot, 20 stitches later I thought maybe I should stop sharpen my axes so much.

5. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

I've heard of those. ;)

6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

There have been several magazine reviews as well recommending this product, but I am curious how it deals with differing bevel angles. Does it accomodate to whatever is being sharpened, or reset an original bevel according to a fixed standard?

7. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I would love to hear more about these Chef's Choice electric sharpeners too...how do the various models differ? I am very poor at sharpening and am lookng for something foolproof.

8. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

9. m1ster s

m1ster s Loaded Pockets

I'm curious about the benchmade sharpener as well.

10. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I like my Sharpmaker.

11. vic2367

vic2367 Loaded Pockets

sharpmaker here too :iagree:

12. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I have one of the cheap Smiths Two Stage sharpeners, $3 or something at Walmart. My complaint is that it puts little nicks into my blades sometimes (BM 555 and SAK Cadet).
    I'm assuming it's the sharpener doing it, since I rarely have to use the blades, and I don't abuse them. They have only cut the random coupon during the last half year, so I can't imagine why the nicks and jagged edges, even when using the ceramic side.
    No one has mentioned these inexpensive 2 sided systems yet, I'm surprised.

13. Button

Button Empty Pockets

I use a Lansky sharpening system for really dull knives to get the correct angle started. Otherwise, I free hand them.

14. mtngoat

mtngoat Loaded Pockets

I have a CRKT M16-01Z and use the small DMT stones and a ceramic rod to get it scary sharp. I don't have a sharpmaker but have thought about getting one but wanted to learn to do it free hand first.

goat

15. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

1. Chef's Choice I have a model 320 I picked up at a flea market used- excellent piece of equipment, great edge, can't screw and edge with Chefs Choice.

2. Spyderco Sharpmaker - good manual sharpener comes with instructional DVD, very informative, easy to use.

3. Sharpening Made Easy all you need to know about sharpening in one easy click. I have "made" one of Steve's "paper sharpening" setups and it works like a champ . This book will answer all your questions AND covers all types of sharpening methods, machine, tips and tricks.

4. Using Paper Sharpening Wheels - started using paper wheels 5 years ago and it's my favorite no frills method, quick, easy and safe.

5. Not bad for $160 add an accessory kit

AND

5. Tormek SuperGrind T7 + NEW T-3 One of these is at the top of my wish list - by the end of the year and a quick training trip across the pond I'll have enough to buy one. Tormex knife sharpening video

16. ORCA

ORCA Empty Pockets

Edge Pro for re-profiling.
    Then the Razor edge sharpening system (paper wheels) to finish.
    Just ordered the 1' x 42" Kalamazoo belt sander.

17. lordblade

lordblade Empty Pockets

best sharpener

I am new to sharpening knives I need a good sharpener that does not break the bank but will put a good edge on my knives. what would be a good system

18. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Re: best sharpener

If you're brand new to sharpening and don't want to break the bank I would recommend a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Can produce good edges with out much know-how. Slower than some other tools out there. To me, what I learned from the sharpmaker that helped me in other tools and techniques was recognizing the right angle between knife and stone.

Phil

19. Demolition Dan

Demolition Dan Loaded Pockets

I'll second the spyrderco sharpmaker. Easy to use and can sharpen almost anything( more then just knives) Great system for the price.

20. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I got my sharpmaker from lighthound. Add about $15 of products and get free shipping.