1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which knife is better for EDC?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Aldee95, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Aldee95

Aldee95 Empty Pockets

Im just lookin for the best knife outta these three for everyday use

CRKT M16-03Z Zytel
    OR
    SOG Fusion Salute
    OR
    Spyderco Tenacious

2. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

First of all Welcome!

What will you be using the knife for?

How do you want to carry it?

A little more detail can go a looong way.

3. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Tenacious! Aluminum M16s are good, but for some reason the Zytel ones feel cheap and don't open very smoothly. I don't have any experience with the SOG.

4. bearlyme86

bearlyme86 Loaded Pockets

Big fan of the tenacious, but may I suggest the Ontario RAT-1 as an affordable alternative to a larger blade folder...

5. nathanr310

nathanr310 Empty Pockets

6. SERE

SERE Loaded Pockets

If you take a look at the specs, I would know what my choice would be.
    Altough the HRc specs on the Tenacious are not to be confirmed by Spyderco, they are well known for there quality steel.

SOG Fusion Salute: Steel: 8Cr13MoV / HRc 52-54

CRKT M16-03Z: Steel: AUS 4 / HRc 55-57

Spyderco Tenacious: Steel: 8Cr13MoV / HRc appr. 60

I've used a M16-14M for years, they are pretty good, and easy to sharpen yourself.
    The SOG would definatly end up dead.

7. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Where did you get the number for sog? sounds way too low.

8. SERE

SERE Loaded Pockets

Found the specs on the SOG site. So its their own input.

9. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

That's very soft for Cr13MoV, especially when compared to the Tenacious which has the same steel.

10. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Strange, that's serious under-hardening, or mistake on their website. I'll shoot them an email to ask.

11. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Without knowing your wants and needs in an EDC knife, I'll just go ahead and sya that the Spyderco Tenacious is the best knife of the 3 you listed. I have the CRKT M16-03Z Zytel and it sucked the big one! :thumbsdown: Poor quality, poor fit & finish, the handles flexed like crazy and it did not hold an edge well at all.

The Salute looks to be too soft of steel to be of any use as a folder for me. The steel may be tough at that hardness (52-54RC) but you should not be chopping, batoning or prying with a cheap folder anyways so edge retention should be higher on a list of requirements on an EDC folder. The Tenacious @ RC 58-60 would be better at retaining an edge longer. It can't compete with the "super steels" like ZDP-189, S110V or even VG-10 but my Tenacious' steel is just as good a any decently heat treated AUS8 or Buck's 420HC which is my minimum requirement for EDC.

My vote goes to the Tenacious. Also, It is a high quality folder with fit & finish and features that goes beyond it's $30-35 price tag.

Also check out these folders for EDC:

Cut-n-paste. :-X

• Kershaw Skyline - $35 : US made, good Sandvik steel, nice the blade shape, G-10 handles, liner lock, hollow ground blade, bead blasted finish, 2 position clip for right handed tip up or tip down carry, phosphor bronze washers, light weight, smooth and fast flipper w/ thumbstuds also (non-AO)
    • Spyderco Tenacious - $30-35 : Chinese made, high quality, high value, very good fit & finish, decent steel, G-10, handles, liner lock, 4 position clip for tip up/down/left/right carry, phosphor bronze washers, fast & smooth deployment, open construction, full-flat grind, Spyder Hole (non-AO), great thumb jimping
    • Buck Vantage Pro - $40-45 : US made, S30V "premium" steel, G-10 handles, liner lock, very high value considering the Paul Bos treated S30V premium steel, great clip design that rides very low in pocket, hollow ground blade, 2 position clip for left or right tip up carry, open construction, flipper and thumbslot (non-AO), no jimping
    • Kershaw Leek - $35-50+ depending on steel and handle options : US made, steel handles, frame lock, good Sandvik steel (other steel choices include S30V, ZDP-189/Sandvik composite blade), hollow grind blade 2 position clip for right hand tip up or tip down, thumbstud and flipper w/ AO
    • Spyderco Native - $50 and up : US made, great S30V steel (other steel options available), FRN handles, linerless, pinned construction on the cheaper models, spear/leaf shaped hollow ground blade, 2 position clip for right or left handed tip up carry, light weight, linerless Spyder Hole (non-AO), great thumb jimping

All are 3 - 3 1/2". All are in my EDC rotation. You can get the Kershaws from Walmart. The Skyline is my favorite and gets the most carry.

12. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Spyderco for sure.

13. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

Out of those I like the tenacious, HOWEVER I'd recomend a CRKT M21-g10 over any of those. Only problem is sometimes you get a lemon, they don't have good qc. The Benchmade Vex compares nicely to the tenacious and carries a bit smaller but now we are just adding too many knives to the mix. Get a Tenacious and be done, you'll be happy and won't miss the others.

14. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Well I got an answer back from SOG, which might as well be no answer because it's about as generic as it goes, and does not answer my question at all. :idiot2:

15. Aldee95

Aldee95 Empty Pockets

Thanks for all the replies through all this im still deciding between the skyline and the tenacious

16. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Tough decision... get both! Nah just kidding, I think you can decide that based on styling of the knife alone, although I will say that the clip on the Tenacious is probably more pocket friendly and it will carry better. Either way you can't go wrong.

17. Aldee95

Aldee95 Empty Pockets

Eh ill go with the skyline seems like a better quality knife thanks for all the help!

18. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Both the Spyderco Tenacious and the Kershaw Skyline are equally solid quality knives IMHO. Don't be off-put by the Skyline when you get it by its light weight. It is designed to be just that. It has a single steel liner on the liner lock side but it is plenty strong for EDC duty. The tenacious is heavier with its dual liners, wider/longer blade and open construction with metal stand-offs. I love both but EDC the Skyline the most of all the ones in my EDC rotation due to its light weight.