1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which keychain tools are you carrying today?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by bryan123, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Tec Accessories Inchworm and Centipede, Sliver Gripper tweezers, handcuff key, Griffin Pocket Tool XL. My keys are separate.

2. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

3. Sergiu Tanasescu

Sergiu Tanasescu Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and loneslinger like this.
  4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulldogcafe likes this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

As described here a Victorinox Manager is my daily keychain tool; an upgrade from the Classic SD - adding a bottle cap lifter with small Philips screwdriver and a pen, had to let the very small tweezers go.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Upgrade?! It's in a whole new class. :cool: I find the Manager to be the most utilitarian of all of Victorinox's 58mm options.

Are you sure the tweezers don't fit in the slot opposite the pen? I can't remember because I have been carrying a Tortoise Gear Firefly ferro rod in that spot.

If you need tweezers, Uncle Bills Sliver Grippers are almost weightless, keychain-sized and are far superior to the the Vic tweezers.

FiaOlleDog and That Movie Guy like this.
  7. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

I've been eyeing the SAK Midnite Manager a lot lately. Ideally I'd like to find one in black.

*Temptation rising...!!*

8. FiaOlleDog

You are right, Sir. There is one slot in the Manager (vs. two in the Rambler and Classic SD) - in which either the toothpick or the tweezers (both are delivered with the Manager) fit. Or the mini firesteel you've mentioned, of course. As I use the toothpick quite often (yes, I do use an alcohol wipe frequently to get rid of bacteria) I had to leave the tweezers at home, which is not that of an issue, as I carry larger tweezers as part of my first aid kit (to remove splinters or ticks).

9. FiaOlleDog

Depending on your illumination needs the LED in the Midnight Manager can be sufficient - or not.

I decided against it for mostly three reasons:
    1. I need less and more brightness then the Midnight can provide - so I carry a Thrunite Ti3.
    2. Sometimes I visit places that do not allow any sharps at all - so keeping the Midnight at home also leaves me with no pocket EDC illumination device.
    3. The type of batteries and runtime they provide - the opposite of the AAA Eneloop the Ti3 takes.
    YMMV :cool:

That Movie Guy likes this.
  10. That Movie Guy

Thanks so much for the input. "YMMV" indeed. I was actually drawn to the Midnite Manager for gym carry of all things. I like the form factor and the ability to have some basic tools, a cutting edge, a light and writing implement that I can slip easily into my gym shorts. Just enough to cover all the basics so that I don't feel completely naked while all my standard carry is in my locker.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You forgot reason #4 - The door that holds the batteries frequently falls out and you loose the batteries.

12. That Movie Guy

For my methods, THAT is a valid concern. The research continues...

jag-engr likes this.
  13. FiaOlleDog

Never had a "Midnight" so wasn't aware of this issue ... really not up to the high standards Victorinox usually delivers in their products.

Anyway, it should not be a problem for prepared people (aka EDCF members): the just pull out a part from their EDC and put the magic (duct) tape over it - to not ruin the dramaturgical effect we ignore that it may look ugly and peels off over time :blink:

To not get locked out of this thread ...

I tried to carry a Gerber Shard, but found that it poked me when in the jeans pocket on my keyring. An option would have been to carry a key pouch, but ...

Another try was with a Swiss+Tech Micro-Max® 19-in-1 key chain multi tool - to heavy and I've used the tools to less that it would gain it's place on my keyring.

jag-engr likes this.
  14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If the Midnite Manager is bumped hard enough to knock the battery door out, there's a good chance that the battery might come out with it (mine did).

Besides, the LED on the Midnite Manager was not bright enough to be useful.