1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which is the least-nonsense G-Shock?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by DollarStoreLurker, Jun 16, 2011.

1. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, I haven't had a watch since I was in middle school.

I don't want an alarm. I don't care if it's solar. I don't need it to tell me the day of the week or do stopwatch stuff. I need to know the time, and I need the watch to be able to survive water, mud, fire and machinery. ;D

One weird requirement: It can't get stuck on anything. I work around machines, and sometimes have to stick my hands into bushes or under rocks. Sometimes I have to work with fences. It can't have protrusions, and it should be pretty flat. :agree:

Less than $100 preferred. :lolhammer:

2. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

3. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

4. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

I would say the DW5600 would be a good choice. If you don't like the techie/nerdy/80's look of the 5600 series (I do like it), the G7600 is another great basic G. If you cruise the bay you can catch some good deals on store demonstrator G's. Often in the $30-$50 range. I love the stainless G's and have bought a lot of them cheap that way.

5. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

I believe the DW5600E is the least nonsense. It is the original. I like "the techie/nerdy/80s look" and I have 2 of them! They're rock solid and the best. They hug your wrist and are not bulky. As far as durability, casio claims you can put it on a hockey puck, take a slap shot and it will survive!!

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I love my m5600bc..... You just gotta love "the techie/nerdy/80s look" but the added tough solar, atomic time keeping and other options are just soooooooo nice! If i remember correctly the model is discontinued but you should be able to locate it for roughly your price. I even put it on a resin band for added nostalgia.

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

One of the basic G Shocks fits the budget, gives you more features than you need (but are easy to ignore) and will be tough enough to survive what you will be doing with it. Not the smallest watches around, but otherwise perfect.

Another couple to look at are the Citizen BM8180 and BM6400 - both great basic watches, solar powered which you don't care about (but means no bother about the battery running out), nice clear faces and both pretty low profile.

8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recently wanted to try a G-Shock and now have 2. They are both basic models and run under 40 bucks. I got both of them in trades which was even better. I've always worn mechanical autos so I did not want something I would have to spend a lot of time learning to use. As I got older, my time and patience is limited. The left one is a DW9052-1V and on the right a DW5600E-1V. I'd recommend either one and possibly the one on the right since it has a lower profile for your line of work.
    [​IMG]

9. jukrui

jukrui Loaded Pockets

I would agree that the DW5600E is the least non-sense. It is a very tough, but will not stand a pit bull terrier's jaws. Needless to say, I had to buy a new one.

10. BrownMajik

BrownMajik Empty Pockets

Ditto on the 5xxx series. All simple, tough, and flat to the wrist.

11. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

EndlessFields Loaded Pockets

I bought the DW5600E after looking for a no nonsense G-Shock myself. I love this watch. It's extremely durable and I love the low profile vs other G-Shocks. I work in IT so I'm constantly hitting it inside computers and server racks and it still looks brand new.

12. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

It occurs to me that some of the analog or hybrid analog/digital models are under or around $100 too. If you're one of those people who find it easier to tell time with analog hands, that might be an option, but obviously it doesn't make sense if you're used to digital.

13. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN Loaded Pockets

My new favorite G-shock (I've had 20+)...dig it so much I bought two as they are discontinued. They pop up on EBay.
    Super comfy and the orange is super sharp in person. Been wearing it more than my Submariner as of late..

[​IMG]

14. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

15. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I'm on my 2nd 5600E. IIRC I paid around $32-35 for the first one and it lasted around 3-4 years until the band started to break at the notch where I always wore it, so I bought another a year or two ago for something like $37-39 (got them both from Amazon) and it is still going strong. My original one still works fine, so I ordered the adapter kit and a Maratac band from Countycomm to hopefully put it back into service. The replacment bands were hard to find and rather expensive when I looked for them a couple of years ago.