1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which is more useful, keychain or pocket size MT?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Norm66, Mar 5, 2014.

1. TreeClimber

TreeClimber Loaded Pockets

Personally I pocket carry a wingman everyday an use it everyday. It's not so heavy that is a pain to carry so maybe that would be an option for you? That being said I've been eyeballing a ps4 for a little while now but haven't pulled the trigger yet because I don't know if I would like to sacrifice size.

2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pocket size has my vote.
    Nick

3. Aaron Gillispie

Aaron Gillispie Loaded Pockets

If you are looking at a Wave i would look in to the pocket clip as well, i cant stand a MT in my pocket but using the pocket clip i forget that its even there. I carry mine every day. Then i went to a LM Style for my key chain. I was using a LM Micra on them but the Style has everything a Micra has except for the scissors which to me is the most useless tool on a MT. The Style really makes my keys a lot lighter and smaller. Its nice to have both, if you run out of the house in a rush and forget your MT you still have a little backup on your keys. To answer the last part of your question i 100% find my Wave the most useful, as it gets used several times a day.

Norm66 likes this.
  4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pocket Sized for 90% of the usages...Leatherman Squirt is about perfect, save it does not have tweezers or a toothpick, which would make it above all others. 8)

I've tried rotating the Micra back onto the keychain about 5x times because I truly love the Micra's scissos, but then I need frikkin' PLIERS the next day.

So the Squirt PS4 will remain my go-to-tool. I always need the "pinchy" tiny pliers for something delicate, yet requiring a little bit of power. Also, I always find the need to grab something warm/hot, so a tiny set of pliers keeps me from burning myself daily.

Full sized multitools (I only own two - ST300 and Sidekick) are more like "toolkits in my pockets", and even with a clip, they feel on the heavy side.. These one-man-army tools are great, but mainly I may carry on them a trip away from home/truck, because they contain about every tool I can imagine.

MrOG likes this.
  5. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

I have yet to run into a job that my Juice S2 wasn't enough for. I haven't seen a need to go up from there, and attaching things to keychains isn't my cup of tea.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

MrOG likes this.
  6. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

You already have decided to have a full size for the bag. Go with the keychain sized, you will cover more of the spectrum of usefullness. A micra or squirt is great, because you can choose to use its baby blade in environments where a larger pocket sized tool would freak out lame people. I have actually had comments along the line of "Remind me not to piss you off" when I used a skeletool to cut up an apple at my old job, and that was a very permissive company overall.

Get a PS4, you will be surprised at its utility. Keep the blade and scissors sharp and tight, I hated mine until I tuned them up. Currently this is the only tool I carry (practicing lighter EDC habits), and I take it backpacking.

If your pocket knife is smaller than those carried by those around you, you are not "that creepy knife guy". Just some food for thought, discretion has value.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Keychain or pocket-sized MT? Gonna agree and say *both*. :)

I started carrying a Micra a couple of years ago and now feel naked without it. For the run-of-the-mill everyday tasks, it's great. If I really need the heavy artillery, I can always fish out the Swisstool from the EDC bag.

8. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a mini SAK along with my Wingman, but it only lasted a few months. I miss the toothpick and the tweezers sometimes. I make regular use of the pliers so a MT is the tool for me.

I would only carry a MT if it was a Wingman\Sidekick or larger. I consider them "mid" size MTs and the minimum size where I find the pliers usable. If mid-size MTs are too big or heavy for you or you don't need the pliers, go with a SAK.