1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which is more useful, keychain or pocket size MT?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Norm66, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

I've narrowed my full size MT down to either a Sidekick or Wave to live in my EDC bag but I'm still up in the air on a smaller MT for on my person.

Those who have both keychain ( Micra, Squirts etc.) and pocket size (Juice, skeletool etc.), which do you find more consistently useful?

My gut tells me that I might get more use from a pocket size tool and gave a smaller SAK on my keychain but it's entirely possible I'm missing something.

Thoughts?

2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

another option could be a slightly larger SAK in the pocket. I carry a deluxe tinker and it comes in very handy

FL Woods Bum, Norm66 and SAKplumber like this.
  3. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

I'm currently bidding on a Leatherman Mini Tool.
    Something like that could be good for your needs.
    Only problem is the Mini Tool is long retired, but there are other small MTs that should fill the job.

Nick4305 and Norm66 like this.
  4. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depends on how often you find yourself needing to use the tools, also how big/small those jobs are. That'll probably point you to the right direction on what size you should get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norm66 likes this.
  5. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Generally speaking, compared to full sized/"real" tools, multitools are compromises. The smaller you go, the more you compromise in exchange for pocketability. Conversely, the more a tool is in your pocket, the more it's likely to be used. The trick is to find what's comfortable to carry yet still get the work done - which seem to be very personal.

microbe, MrOG and Norm66 like this.
  6. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

As Southpaw said, it really depends on the tasks you find yourself faced with most often. If it was me, I'd choose something very small and lightweight like the Squirt PS4 since I'd have my Wave in my bag in case I ever needed it.

Norm66 likes this.
  7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I don't own a skeletool or juice, nor have I used one. I have carried a PS4 every day for the last few years. Every tool on the PS4 gets used, the screw drivers, scissors, and pliers get used the most. The pliers are more useful than you would expect, from cutting wire to pulling peaces of glass from your foot, they even do a good job turning smaller nuts and bolts. The knife gets used for jobs that are dirty or may damage the blades edge, it works well enough but is far from perfect. The drivers work very well for small to mediumish screws that are found on lots of day to day items. The scissors are great for cutting hang nails or other precise cuts. The file is small, not the best quality by any means but gets the job done when something abrasive is needed. The tool disappears in your pocket and goes unnoticed until needed, and offers a great deal of utility in a tiny package.

Norm66 and Skawtty like this.
  8. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

Yea, this really resonates with me. I think I'm going to go with one of the pocket sized tools.

I really like SAKs but I think I like the smaller ones better than the bigger ones.

Thanks for the input.

9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I have yet to find any of the fold out mini tools to be more useful than my Classic Mini SAK on my key chain. While the idea of a pair of pliers in my pocket is intriguing, they never seem to be big enough to fit anything I need them for. At the end of the day it really boils down to what tools you expect to need. If you need pliers, then make sure they will fit your needs before you put a tiny one in your pocket. :)

MrOG likes this.
  10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

In terms of the knife-based tools, I prefer the smaller SAKs myself, and typically a Cadet or an Executive get the most pocket time (the Classic or 54mm size are just too small for me). After owning a bunch of different tools, my favorite combination of size, form and function has become the Cadet and a Swisstool X and I can carry either or both depending on the day.

MrOG likes this.
  11. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

I have all three areas covered

I use the LM Surge as my main EDC MT and that now rides in my Skinth Magnum.
    [​IMG]

I carry my Sidekick in my back right pants Pocket as a back up tool for quick easy jobs during the week and as my main EDC MT over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

The Squirt PS4 is now on my key chain and is now part of my standard weekend EDC.. And back up EDC as well...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

microbe likes this.
  12. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

you have to make your own personal choice...
    some people carry a LM Surge in their pockets for EDC , for some people a juice S2 is too heavy.
    if you go with the juice-line, or skeletool, or wingman
    /sidekick you get real big pliers, when you go with the squirt - line / gerbe dime, atwood etc. you will get smaller tools and less weight.

13. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

The Leatherman Squirt PS4 is a great sized MT to keep in your "fifth pocket" or keychain, and thus easy to keep with you at all times.

At the end of the day, the most readily accessible tool is the one youre going to use more. Having a full size MT on you at all times would be heavy, bulky, and inconvenient imo. Also, the PS4 will get you through most daily tasks where using a MT is viable. :)

Edit: The Gerber Dime is also a really good small MT. Not quite Leatherman, but good still.

14. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

And I just won that tool :3

MrOG likes this.
  15. lamas92

lamas92 Loaded Pockets

SAK in the pocket is Perfect. MT in bag is very good. Mini toll is just enought...

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Food for thought. I'm not allowed to have a folding knife at work, so I resort to my keychain sized Vic Rambler for cutting/slicing tasks. Sometimes, we get full chicken breast for dinner and yes, my little Rambler can easily cut through that bad boy with no issues :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

microbe and MrOG like this.
  17. CUTLERY_KID

CUTLERY_KID Loaded Pockets

@southpaw. Same situation, only I've got school. I carry a LM style PS clipped to my belt loop and a Vic classic on my keys, but that's it. I'm still waiting for the stupid dean to come crashing down on my style. But seriously, I can kill someone easier with a sharpened pencil or a pen , than with a little 2 inch blade. Dang :censored:. Whatcha gonna do?

Southpaw likes this.
  18. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Buy the biggest caliber multi-tool that you'll carry consistently. A Squirt in the pocket beats a Surge on the desk. Larger tools are always more useful, the only advantage of smaller tools is carryability. If you don't carry another knife, then the Skeletool might be better than a Juice, otherwise the Juices have more tools. Leathermans are cheap enough than you can get a few and select your carry based on what you expect to do that day.

Soup dragon likes this.
  19. minor incident

minor incident Loaded Pockets

I carry and use keychain LM's much more often just because I'm more comfortable actually carrying them. I don't usually have room for a full-size tool. Been thinking about trying a Juice as a nice in-between.

20. Mikegp

Mikegp Empty Pockets

If you already have a MT in your bag, a small MT on your person will be enough. A style cs, squirt or minichamp are great options.

When I'm carrying my edc bag, I have my Spirit X in there so I only carry my Style CS or Minichamp in my pants coin pocket and a Microtech Mini UMT in my right front pocket as a dedicated blade. When I'm NOT carrying my edc bag, I just carry my Skeletool cx in my right front pocket.