1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Hardshell

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by signal5x5, Mar 14, 2016.

1. signal5x5

signal5x5 Empty Pockets

I have a Condor Summit Softshell and I was wondering what hardshell do any of you use? This use would be for Hiking or Backpacking.

2. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I use a hazard4 poncho

3. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Loaded Pockets

Marmot PreCip wouldn't be a bad choice. Cheap, light, waterproof, breathable, and available in about any color you could want. It isn't a full on 3 layer hardshell if that's what you're looking for, but it certainly seems tough enough.

Barchack likes this.
  4. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I have an REI eVent shell that I really like. It breaths well, outside of a prolonged torrential downpour keeps the water out and has nothing to it other than the shell. I've had it for a a while but I'm sure they have something similar.

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

There are so many options out there it's tough to recommend individual brands or models. If you have the cash, Arcteryx (Greek Alphabet models) and Gore-Tex are the gold standards. Other laminates work too, but may not have the same level of breathability or durability (I've seen some peel off over time). Features to look for might be easier to recommend though.

For me, must haves include: waterproof/breathable, taped seams, duckbill hood, pit-zips, high pockets (above hipbelts), hem and hood drawstrings, elastic and Velcro wrist closures.

Nice to haves include: collar (in addition to hood), mesh lined pockets (more ventilation), "headband" drawstring for hood, waist drawstring, interior pockets, waterproof zippers (instead of flaps), two-way main zipper, reversible stuff-sack pocket.

Course, forfeit features if going lightweight.

Queen of Saigon likes this.
  6. vespaguy

vespaguy Empty Pockets

I use a $1.50 disposable raincoat from Daiso for day trips (weight and space). I also have a Kuiu (quiet and good) for serious adventures.

7. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I've heard good things about the Patagonia torrentshell. Aside from that I couldn't tell you, since I made my own when I couldn't find a hoodless one for a price I liked. (I don't really like my home made jacket's fit, but at least I know it's because I screwed up, not because I picked the wrong company.)

8. Queen of Saigon

Queen of Saigon Loaded Pockets

Arc'teryx Beta LT Hybrid. Sometimes I use my Summit zero from condor if I know if I have to do more technical stuff. But everything else Arc'teryx (epsilon lt, fortrez hoody, covert cardigan, older Canadian softshell).

9. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Loaded Pockets

I just recently saw an email with a new 3 layer eVent jacket from REI called Rhyolite. Haven't seen it in person, but it would only be about $150 after REI's usual 20% off coupons which is a great price for a eVent shell.

Queen of Saigon likes this.