1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which edc'er is this?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Crude, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Wildly off topic...

I'm 1/2 way there with you DBR -- the Chick-Fil-A guy talked with his company's chequebook, $2,000,000 spent to deny rights to others in a year needs to be called out. It won't hurt him, the loonybird fundies outnumber gays and liberals in the South so in reality it turns out to be an astute business investment :)

I'm all for free speech, but if you say something, you should have to stand up and take whatever comes back.

T

kruspe, whoozle, kd7dvd and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Wow! Thanks CootShooter. There's a lot about this that makes me cringe but the two, okay three things that stand out are: that they've siezed a bunch of stuff from his home and are "awaiting a search warrant". Umm aren't they supposed to get the warrant first? Potential for a tragedy....in an empty theater. Okay maybe it wouldn't have remained empty for long but sitting in the back row is simply a preference some people have and the middle of any row isn't a very good tactical decision. I don't see anywhere in the article that says he did not have a permit, I'm willing to bet he did because if he didn't, you can be sure that would have made it into the paper.

Ya think they're going to let him have his BP meds in lockup?

I don't understand the "having weapons under disability" thing. Apparently he's got high blood pressure, does that disqualify him from owning firearms? What if someone has a bad hip or is missing a toe?

After reading the above article and many of the related stories, I also don't see it mentioned anywhere that it's a posted no weapons zone (I don't doubt that it is), though they do mention that the theater reserves the right to search bags and whatnot.

What evidence is there that this guy intended to do anything other than watch the movie and maybe eat some popcorn? He took his bag off and set it on the floor in front of him. Not a very tactical move if you ask me.

He had survival equipment on him! Well, for a guy on BP meds possibly including blood thinners, having blood cloting band-aids handy is probably a good idea. He had a gas mask at home! So, maybe it was from a Halloween costume or for use when painting in the garage.

The only sinister thing in all of this that I can see, at this point, is the willingness of the media to whip up a frenzy around the fact that nothing happened.

whoozle and xtrajack like this.
  3. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I remember years ago on a self-defense forum I used to moderate on. The term sheepdog became pretty popular. It might have even started on SDF, I don't recall. But I remember what took its place there and I came up with it and I'm kind of pleased that it never caught on because we came up with a lot of stuff that other people snatched up and claimed as their own. Wolfhound. I'm not a sheepdog, I don't guard flocks of morons and I don't look after them and I don't herd them to where their masters wish for them to go. I don't bite them on the :censored: when they lose track of their master's aims - to shear them or eat them. This is more of a descriptor for police officers.

I am a solitary person and if we want to use animal metaphors, I am very much a wolfhound.

JayAbsurd, xtrajack and kd7dvd like this.
  4. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

He profited wildly from it. What I am specifically addressing is the media's spin on it and how they hide behind the First Amendment whenever they can while sniping and buchwacking from that cover constantly. Like a lot of liberals, they think free speech should be reserved for causes, concepts, philosophies and ideas that they agree with and they are intolerant of deviation from their point of view for the most part.

That's all.

I don't care what homosexuals do. I don't agree that they should teach it in schools as a normal lifestyle and a few other things and I know that paints me as a rabid homophobe in their eyes as well as other extremists on the issue, but I don't care. :)

Crude and kd7dvd like this.
  5. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

I am a sheepdog to those I love... friends and family around me I will protect to the fullest. I will go in harms way to do this. If anyone ever attempts to do them wrong I will not hesitate to protect them. To a would-be bad guy I guess that makes me a friggin monster of epic proportions... a worst nightmare sort of thing. In animal terms, I guess I would be considered more of a mother grizzly.

whoozle and kd7dvd like this.
  6. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

But of course! And from what I am reading, that could also be the case if he didn't have a facebook account... :(

But, hey, you can take some bad points removed from you if you agree to plant an rfid chip on your body willingly, before it becomes illegal not to do so :(

7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

We don't shear the ones we love. You're a wolfhound. Let it grow on you like a fungus. :D

8. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I'll believe it when I see it actually implemented.

9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Then have them sheared. :D

10. CootShooter

Well I have sheared the one I love the most. ewwwwww:eek::censored:

11. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

I've read he did not have a CCW, he was on prescription drugs, and the theater was posted 'no weapons'. Clearly this guy is a frickin moron, but a mass shooter, not at all.

And you know this because......?

12. CootShooter

I guess we'll never truly know for sure.

But like I have said, this guy sounds exactly like me/us... a prepper/EDC/survivalist with all sorts of mall ninja toys. I feel like the news has blown this totally out of proportion.

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Not a lawyer, didn't play one on TV, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... but my understanding is....

In more and more states/munincipalities/etc., if they have a general warrant and it doesn't specifically cover it, digital equipment can be impounded pending an additional warrant to search it. Ostensibly, this is to prevent incriminating data from being expunged while the warrant is being obtained.

In some jurisdictions, this includes smartphone at traffic stops. CA doesn't require a warrant.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111010/16473416292/ca-governor-lets-police-search-your-smartphones-traffic-stops.shtml

Governor Browns rational for vetoing a bill that would require a warrant to search a cell phone at a traffic stop:
    "the issue is too complicated for him to make a decision about" and that it's better for the courts to decide." :eek::frantic:

Other articles:
    http://www.fastcase.com/smartphones-searchable-by-police/
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/calif-appeals-court-approves-cell-phone-searches-during-traffic-stops/

For legal purposes, cellphones are being treated like a container (say a cardboard box), that can be searched during an "inventory" search prior to towing.

In the 3rd citation, they did catch a bad guy but it's an arguable case of "means justifying the ends".

This is a scary quote from that article:

“The deputies had unqualified authority under Gant to search the passenger compartment of the vehicle and any container found therein, including Reid’s cell phone. It is up to the US Supreme Court to impose any greater limits on officers’ authority to search incident to arrest.”

It's alarming how many similar laws and statutes are being passed with little or no fanfare.

Clause 4 of the law is way too open ended, and can be read as anyone that is on a recurring prescription to insure their quality of life... including migraine medication, insulin for diabetes, BP medecine, etc.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.13

ATB,
    Sam

kd7dvd and DBR like this.
  14. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Don't perpetuate the negative stereotypes by using terms like "mall ninjas" and stuff like-that-there. :)

kd7dvd likes this.
  15. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

LOL, I was actually pondering the "chip implant" concept in another 'all these darn keys...' thread.

Hopefully this guy gets a slap on the wrist and can quietly go back to his life after the panic subsides.

T

16. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Sam,

It's alarming to you and to me because we care and we don't want a police state. Most people in this country now want a police state. If you ask them if they want a police state, they will say they don't and then they will go on to vote for and support every petty tyrant they can. Then they will continue to support law enforcement no matter how outrageous the beating, tasing, spraying or killing, let alone the searching and fishing expeditions. A long time ago they started down this road but one of the big things that started to change privacy out in public was the carnage that drunk drivers were causing on the highways. It was outrageous behavior and something needed to be done about it but there were many other ways to address the problem instead of starting roadblocks and searches, etc.

kd7dvd and powerring like this.
  17. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I don't get into the whole "wolves, sheep, sheepdog" thing. I have a simpler way of looking at. "Those that can do for themselves, should do for themselves" It is my job to take care of me, my family, and any children present to the best of my ability. The government shouldn't try to block my ability to do so. The police may be good at solving some crimes, but they are lousy at preventing most. How many times does 911 get dialed and the police show up in time to stop the crime, instead of just cleaning up the mess?

Gnarly and kd7dvd like this.
  18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Yes, Sam, I know how it works but thanks for clarifying. So they take the computer under a general warrant, no doubt including the monitor, keyboard, speakers, printer and whatever else they can auction later, but then they have to get a seperate warrant to search the hard drive for whatever might or might not have been put there while the warrant was being processed. Meanwhile they can suck down the entire contents of your smartphone during a normal traffic stop as though it were a box of donuts, and that isn't a violation of the 4th amendment because a cell phone is just a "container".

The old rule still applies but must now be expanded somewhat. Never say or do anything on the phone, in .txt, on the internet, look at websites, purchase with plastic, check out of the library, etc, that you wouldn't want read back in front of a federal grand jury. Just rot your brain on farcebook and maybe you can get a nice job as a grand jury member who goes along with whatever the gubment tells you.

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

(emphasis: mine)

Even more amazing is the unenlightened hippo krits who chose to boycott Chick-Fil-A, whose owner merely voiced his opinion: right or wrong!.

Hopefully, the same hippo krits will also boycott all gas stations, owned by third world sh:censored:hole countries who put homosexuals to death.

DBR, Aleister and IMWILSON like this.
  20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Frankly, I've found that any cineplex will give you the stink eye if you're a guy with a backpack, etc. That's probably loaded with M&Ms, bags of popcorn and cold sodas, thus reducing concession profits. No matter that ladies carry in tote bag sized behemoths all the time. That may have set off the klaxons alone.

The newspaper writer's breathless declarations that "he had guns at home, took BP meds and carried a flashlight" were silly. Congratulations, he's a standard-issue fortyish American male. I think it's the two extra clips that put it over the line for me and make me wonder if they averted a bad situation.

For those of you who do carry concealed, do you find that unusual, especially if he didn't have a permit?