1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which earphones do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by beast, Jun 16, 2012.

1. beast

beast EDC Junkie

I was at Wally World looking for a new set of earphones but couldn't decide what to get. The ones that came with the Iphone suck as far as comfort imho. I started walking and need something light and comfotable. Skullcandy ones from RadioShack look promising but I want to get some insight before buying. I'm old school :) and dont know a whole lot about these kinds of things!

2. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

If you want some that don't suck, don't get 'em at Walmart! ;)

Do you want in ear phones that block out outside noise or ones that just "sit" in your ear like the iPhone earphones? Do you like balanced sound or bass heavy? What's your budget?

I like Westone and thinksound

Each brand has different flavors of sound in their line-up. I like Westone over all but for a warm rich sound I pull out the thinksound buds.

3. higbvuyb

higbvuyb Empty Pockets

4. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

Yes - the 2 most important questions. What music will you be listening to? and what's your budget?

If you're walking outside - you don't want headphones that completely block out the outside world - that is dangerous

For outdoor walking, I recommend a good sounding pair of light headphones that sit on your ears.

Without knowing the answers to the two most important questions, here are some of my favorites (amazon prices)
    - Koss PortaPro -- $35 (my personal favorite for walking)
    - Sennheiser PX100 -- $55
    - Koss KSC75 -- $15 (dorky looking, but a real bargain)
    - Grado SR60i -- $80
    - AKG K 450 -- $69

M4Lki3r likes this.
  5. beast

beast EDC Junkie

I want something in the $25-30 range if possible. I listen to mostly rock/metal music and prefer the type that go inside the ear. those seam to be the lightest. I also dont play it loud enough to block out any surrounding noise that I migt have to hear.

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Skull candy ink'd

Wfs29223 likes this.
  7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

I got the JVC marshmallow ear buds from walmart for $15 bucks. The best set I've had, for they have the foam that forms to your ear canal. I use them for work, blocks out the outside noise very well, but if you don't play it that loud you can still hear someone talk to you. Can find them on ebay for $10.

8. beast

beast EDC Junkie

I just looked at these on Amazon, good prices, great reviews. I might go with these as they are so cheap. Thanks for the suggestions!

9. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
  10. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

Yes.

11. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

I have Skullcandy 50/50's and love them. They are great for the price. I keep a set in my EDC and another in my laptop bag.

12. beast

beast EDC Junkie

I got some Ifrogz luxe for $16 today. They are pretty comfy but dont seem as loud. They will work as I dont play my tunes so loud anyway while walking. Thanks for eveyones help!

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Slightly off topic- is that "El Guapo" from the movie "The Three Amigos" in your avatar?

Sent from my phone.

14. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

Meelectronics m9 are quite possibly the best under $25 iems I have heard - have ended up buying a few pairs 1st gen are $12 and change on amazon
    +1000 on not wearing in a place where you need to be aware of your surroundings walking street etc

15. MikeN

MikeN Loaded Pockets

Etymotic ER6's (or 4P's if a higher budget)

16. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

Hard to beat Skullcandy earbuds- they have superb sound and even the cheaper ones sound great. I just bought a pair of their Fix "in ear" earbuds; http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/fix-in-ear-black-chrome and they stay in place nicely when sweating, running, working out, etc.

17. beast

beast EDC Junkie

Sure is, one of my favorite movies!

18. beast

beast EDC Junkie

I might just get me another set as the Ifrogz sound isn't so great. Skullcandy is probably my next purchase. My Ifrogz will go in my bag as a backup if my girls don't find them first!

19. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

That movie and spies like us are two of my most favorite movies.

Back on topic, I got a pair of ibeats ($100) for free with the purchase of my phone. They are more than your price range but are a very good set of IEM's. Before I got those I was using a pair of denon ah-c710 in IEMs that I got from craigslist. They were brand new, but unsold stock from a local business. I got very lucky cause these headphones sell for more than $150, and I got them for $65. Both sets have very good range of sound as well as an excellent base response. Are they the best, probably not, however they work for me. I do agree that the iems that Apple sells with their stuff leave much room for improvement.

Sent from my phone.

beast likes this.
  20. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

For sitting use, I have a set of Grado SR80's which are phenominal for the price.
    For hiking/walking EDC, I have a set of Etymotic HF2's. They say they are "iPhone compatible", but they are barely that. No volume controls which is quite annoying while it's in my pocket or case.

Both are wonderful headsets that are completely worth the price (~$100) for each. The Grado's are much better for bass and hard stuff, but they are open back so everyone else will hear what you are listening to as well.