1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which clock do you set your watches to?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Narcosynthesis, Dec 23, 2009.

1. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

A radio controlled clock which checks itself at 3am every day... never seems to fail :)

2. Scott83

Scott83 Loaded Pockets

I synchronize with Colorado.

3. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

My G-Shock Atomic

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Actually, according to US Federal law, the US Naval Observatory is the official time source and calendar for the US - and hence, the rest of the world. The atomic clocks in Boulder, Colorado are set to the USNO master clock.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO

5. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

I own a total of eleven radio controlled timepieces, seven clocks around the house bathrooms included and four Citizen wristwatches. In my case not cheating would be practically impossible. ;D

6. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

It's a good question. I have a radio controlled watch, and I trust it more than many other domestic sources. My DAB radio and my cable TV know the time, but they can be a few seconds out because of network and encoding/decoding delays. I've also found my mobile phone can be wrong despite being told to set itself from network time.

My GPS is my standard, if I can be bothered to check against it. www.time.gov seems to be correct, and so does the UK speaking clock. All three agree with my watch to within better than a second.

7. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

Same. I have two clocks(both update nightly) set to the Atomic clock in Colorado, and my watch synced to them.

8. crawdad62

crawdad62 Loaded Pockets

Some of my G's are Waveceptors and they set off of the Naval Observatory if I'm not mistaken. The other quartz watches I set off of my computer which is usually +/- a couple of seconds from the N.O. My automatics I just get them within a minute or so. They're not exactly accurate within seconds per month anyway.

9. DJM95B

DJM95B Loaded Pockets

I also set my clocks and watches to an atomic clock. People who take the "close enough" attitude drive me nuts. Its takes no more effort to set today's timepieces to the correct time, given the technology that nearly every household has available today. Why not use the correct time?

10. Flight-ER-Doc

They set off of WWVB (the low freq station), which is set (like all the atomic clocks in Ft Collins) from the master clocks at the US Naval Observatory, the official clock of the United States.

I set my clocks and watches using a program called socketwatch from Robomagic.com, which sets the clock on your PC to the atomic clocks of your choice, while calculating latency (network delays) for each report. It's close enough but being filtered by the PC's clock is only 1/18 of a second accurate (more or less). I haven't found a problem with it.

11. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

because day to day activities don't require that kind of precision. nobody's going to care if you're 30 seconds late/early to meet them for lunch

12. DJM95B

DJM95B Loaded Pockets

I understand that is the attitude of the general public, and I am not saying that my way of thinking is correct. I guess I just don't understand why, if you can set your watch to be 30 seconds late/early, why wouldn't you set it to be correct? I know, I am weird.

13. DozerDog

DozerDog Empty Pockets

I just "know" what time of day it is just like "Crocodile Dundee"..........I look up at the Sun and calculate the angle to the horizon...........then catch a quick glance at my Atomic G-Shock....... :buckteeth:

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Accuracy depends on what you need of a clock really.

My watch I like having set accurately, so i take the time every so often to compare it to a 'good' clock and am happy that over a month or so it will only really drift by a few seconds.

Other clocks in my house I set as 'close' - things like the microwave and oven that have wee digital clocks built in, but I don't really use for telling time. For those I will set them to my watch or appropriate clock to the nearest minute or so. If my watch reads 10:34, I set them to 10:34 and ignore the fact that my watch could be reading anywhere between 10:34:01 and 10:34:59, so in theory they could be up to a minute off. Sure I could set them to the second, but they are not really designed to be set as such (unlike a watch where I can easily zero the seconds to match another timepiece) and while it would only take 2 minutes rather than 30 seconds, it seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

15. inzelique

inzelique Loaded Pockets

My watch get set to the time clock at work. Usually 30- 60 seconds faster than it. Thats really the only appointment I make that needs to be right on time.

16. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

weather channel clock

17. RAAG

RAAG Loaded Pockets

It's interesting that NIST claims a shared role in the official time of the U.S.

NIST

Dick

18. Flight-ER-Doc

They can claim whatever they like, the US Congress has made the determination about who's the official clock and calendar for the United States. Now, in practical terms it may not make any difference but it's not their call.

19. RAAG

RAAG Loaded Pockets

With all due respect, it's interesting that the www.time.gov website indicates "This public service is cooperatively provided by the two time agencies of the United States: a Department of Commerce agency, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and its military counterpart, the U. S. Naval Observatory (USNO)." (www.time.gov/about.html)

The Naval Oceanography Portal (www.usno.navy.mil) indicates that "The U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO) provides a wide range of astronomical data and products, and serves as the official source of time for the U.S. Department of Defense and a standard of time for the entire United States."

It appears that USNO and NIST together provide official U.S. time, but that the USNO provides the official time for the DoD. They appear to claim nothing more.

I haven't taken the time to research the U.S. Code, but if the USNO is claiming less than it should and NIST claiming more, I'd be happy to see the U.S. Code citation and to be appropriately convinced.

Dick

20. edcnutz

edcnutz Empty Pockets