1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which budget Casio to get?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by UCChris, Dec 11, 2014.

1. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

Looking for my first decent watch (read, not Wally-World special) and I'm looking for opinions. I've heard that the budget Casio's are decent and can take a beating. I work 16 hour days (two manual labor jobs) so all my stuff gets beat up.

I like analog watches since they are more "elegent". Even though my stuff gets beat up and used, I do like simple elegance in my EDC systems. Which, out of the following, would you choose? I realize they are across a wide range of dollars (~$20-$80) but I don't know how much I should spend on a watch. I don't mind spending up to $100.

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot about the link blocker. The models are as listed below and can be found at BladeHQ so you can see what they look like.

Casio MRW-200H-1BV
    Casio AQ-S800W-1B2V
    Casio AQ-S810W-1AV
    Casio G100-1BV
    Casio AMW-330-7AV

2. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

I purchased the Casio MDW-106-1AV dive watch for a backup at the firehouse, and I've yet to put it in the locker for its intended use. It's a nice looking watch and has been keeping great time. The Marlin line of Casio has been around since the '80's and has a nice history as well.
    I bought mine on-line for $40. It was worth it. I have been looking around for it at the box stores, but have yet to find that model. It destined to be an underground classic.

[​IMG]

I also highly recommend the G-Shock line. A G-Shock is my primary watch. They have analog versions, and are a great value.

3. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

That dive watch looks great. I much prefer the looks over the G-shock I have listed in my OP.

When I typed it into Google it auto-corrected to "Casio MDV106-1AV". Is that the same watch?

4. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

Same watch...

5. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

Ok, awesome. I definitely like the looks; more so than the watches I linked. I will see if I can find a way to check one out in person.

6. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

Second the gshocks. I have two. Also work manual labor. The top one is my at work watch. They hold up well. They are comfortable. Shock, and water proof. The top one was $40, the bottom was around $90. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

G shocks
    by Krytonian, on Flickr

7. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I've owned and worn a G-shock of some sort since 2001. My last two were a Solar Pathfinder and another Solar powered watch. I hate worrying about a battery going dead. Especially in the middle of a deployment. I'd go with one of the Casio AQ-S8xx models. Solar powered and they get great reviews on Amazon. Amazon might not have the best prices, but that is where I go to get reviews on something I am looking to spend my hard earned cash on.

8. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

How often/long does a solar watch have to be in the sun to remain ticking?

9. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

They just have to be exposed to light to charge, although sunlight is the best. I have several solar watches and have never had one run out of juice. They've gone into sleep mode but when I've hit a button, they've lit right up. That's after months in a drawer. I really don't think it's something you need to worry about.

OldRakkasans187 likes this.
  10. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I've had watches go without sun for weeks. A4VC said, they'll go into sleep mode and wake right up when needed. 2-3 hours of sun and you are charged for a few weeks easy. 8 hours on the window seal and you good to go for months. After an initial charge, if you are outside 3-4 hours total a week you will never have an issue.

11. Pavement Pirate

Pavement Pirate Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I own 2 Casio, 3 Pulsar, a Bulova, a Seiko, a Galaxy Gear 2, this Timex Expedition and a few cheapie watches. This one is my favorite EDC watch. It is a heavier watch (I like my watches heavy, but not cumbersome). I have been wearing this one to work for over a year now and it has held up very well. Watch plus stainless band in under 50 bucks. Think watch was 35ish and band was around 14.00.

Thought I would toss this at ya for an idea.

Drawing a blank. Something clever may get put here!

12. OldRakkasans187

OldRakkasans187 Loaded Pockets

Great watches! Will never have a battery powered watch again.

13. Elathan

Elathan Loaded Pockets

I love my g shock, I'd waited over two years to get me one, and I will never look back, my g shock cost me £70, I got it reduced in a sale, so keep looking around and get yourself a bargin, pics of mine are in the g shock thread.

14. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I have a Casio MDV106-1AV as well. $40 on Amazon. I have nothing but good things to say about it and it is the most accurate watch I have ever owned.

[​IMG]

Anson likes this.