1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which brands do you dislike?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Deaths Head, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

True statement. I carry my Spyderco Sharpmaker on all family visits. Some family members have used dull knives for so long that they are shocked at how much better it is to have a sharp kitchen knife! Some of the knives, however, won't take and hold an edge at all, and if we stay more than a couple of days, they're dull again and have to be sharpened before we leave.

At home, my own Spyderco utility kitchen knife has been sharpened so many times the serrations are almost gone. It still cuts very well, however, and is one of my favorites.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

These are just a few that come to mind.

Boker - I've never been impressed with their knives - poor steel and poor ergonomics. I've really tried to like the CLB line, but they just don't fee right to me (sorry, Daywalker).
    Cold Steel's high-end line - fancy designs and handle materials with inferior steels for custom knife prices. :shocked:
    Kershaw - the only Kershaw knife I ever liked was the JYD II. I absolutely hate AO knives. All the other knives don't feel right to me.
    Peak LED Solutions - great flashlights, but they never change! It's more frustration than dislike, because they make some really neat lights, but they are super slow to move forward.

3. SoloTwo

SoloTwo Empty Pockets

All they sell is junk? :lolhammer: So those same name brand items you can buy at Walmart that you buy anywhere else is junk just because they sell it?

As for treating employees like crap, I hear Walmart haters talking about that all the time, but I don't think any of them have actually worked there. My first job when I was 16 was at Walmart unloading the trucks. I was treated great there, good benefits, regularly scheduled reviews and raises, and best of all, NOT A UNION.

Everyone also talks about these mom and pop shops, before Walmart had come to my town back in the day the only option was either drive to Shopko department stores in the next town over. Heaven forbid a company comes in saves people money and makes there lives easier and gives people jobs to support there family's.

Here is something to watch And the 2nd part

4. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet yall didnt know that the Pioneer radios in wal mart are NOT the same ones that can be bought in the car audio stores I used to be an installer at a local car audio shop and it is fact that ALL the car stereo equipment sold by wal mart is made by that company JUST for wal mart they are made VERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheap so yes if wal mart sells it then there is a chance that THAT name brand will be better in another store yall can believe me or not but thats the TRUFE :lolhammer:

5. SoloTwo

SoloTwo Empty Pockets

Yeah that Playstation 3 game I bought there actually turned out to be some Atari game made in some 3rd world sweat shop.

6. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

I didnt say ALL!!!!!!!!! of it just some but mostly car audio :laugh:

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I had a man at a pawn shop try to tell me that the Old Timer knives that Walmart used to sell were a different lower-quality "junk" than the badly sharpened, rusted, used up Old Timer that he was selling for $5 more than a brand new one at Walmart. The sad thing was, I think he may have actually believed it.

Walmart arranges contracts with manufacturers for a certain number of products at a certain price. Over time, manufacturers may have to start cutting corners to fulfill their contract. Sometimes this leads to a brand kind of going downhill. I suspect that this type of pressure is why the Spyderco Native is no longer sold at Walmart — I'm sure Spyderco wouldn't cut corners to keep the price the same (Please note: I have no affiliation with Walmart or Spyderco and this is wild speculation).

8. Bradlee

Bradlee Empty Pockets

:iagree: Every Casio watch I've owned has had some major problem either in the electronics failing or physical design flaw.

9. appletree_man

appletree_man Empty Pockets

Strictly EDC stuff, I have to say Gerber (cheapo) and Atwood. I've tried to understand the Atwood craze but everytime I see them i'm '"Yeah, so ?" :bricks:

10. Moxica

Moxica Loaded Pockets

1. Apple, overpriced crap
    2. Strider, Everyone keeps on saying they are so :censored: good but I cant understand why, except that a piece of steel with some cord wrapped arround could be that expensive :laugh:
    3. Spyderco, as someone said earlier they make very ugly knifes
    4. All products that have something "Tactical" in it

11. para-frame

para-frame Loaded Pockets

I do not like knives made by convicted felons that lie about there military service claiming they served in a combat zone with the rangers when they never got out of ranger school, not naming names or anything. :mad:

12. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

I'm personally not too fond of Kershaw after having worked in a knife shop years ago and watching tons of people bring back their broken Whirlwind series knives, among other products. I had bought an early incarnation of the ken Onion Kershaw Random Task Knife, the linerlock stuck so badly it was impossible to unlock without using a dime, screwdriver or a bass guitar pick for leverage. I exchanged it, and it happened again on the replacement, and that was on a US made knife. Granted, their USA made stuff is usually pretty decent, and all the ZeroTolerance line is solid and great. Wonder what Kershaw is going to do, as rumor has it Ken Onion's contract with them is over, they'll have to find another gimmick, or just keep rehashing his SpeedSafe designs...
    :thumbsdown:

13. devilchasnme

devilchasnme Guest

Black and Decker, whether it's power tools or small kitchen appliances, everything I've bought in the last 10 years - Black and Decker - has been junk. Stuff either breaks or just stops working.

I will never buy anything Black and Decker ever again.

14. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

Spyderco (except for the byrdrench) and Glock.
    Just never grew on me I guess. :-X