1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Binoculars?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by m.e.t.a.4, Apr 26, 2015.

1. m.e.t.a.4

m.e.t.a.4 Loaded Pockets

Looking into a smart pair of binoculars to backpack with.

I have a set already, but would rather hump around with a more compact kit.

Is there a go-to set you would recommend? I flagged a set of Vortex 8x42s and Vanguard 8x42s but would like hear some feedback prior to committing to anything.

Cheers!

Nighted likes this.
  2. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

what about a monocular? I own a Vortax Solo 8 x 36. Not sure exactly how much magnification/field of view you want, but I thought I'd mention a good monocular as an alternative

Last edited by YankeeHotelFoxtrot, Aug 31, 2015
    twoisone and smokingfish like this.
  3. m.e.t.a.4

m.e.t.a.4 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! How long have you had your Vortaxi?

4. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

less than a year; due to time constraints, I've only had it in the field a couple of times, but I'm impressed with the following:

1. The "brightness" of the viewed image
    2. Size/weight/feel
    3.There is a belt/strap clip, as well as a lanyard hole - gives you options.

I bought a front, flip-up, lens cap. It's a nice monocular. The only down-side is the case. Its just a bit better than useless. This monocular comes in 8 x 36 as well as 10 x 36. Further, there are reticle (for shooters) and non-reticle models.

I did a good amount of research (I learned about the Vortax from this forum, from a user based in Europe) and learned that it was a well-made instrument for the price. I just had to come to a decision as to whether I wanted binocs or a monocular.

I keep wanting to EDC my Vortax, but I'm not sure I'd use it often enough (on a day to day basis) to warrant carrying it. I will most likely use it more during my daily lunch walks during the warm weather.

5. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

For backpackng, you should consider smaller optics as they are lighter. (and smaller)
    I have 2 very pocketable ones, that are good enough to get a better view of stuff in the distance, or vultures in the air. I have a larger scope to, but to take that with me for backpacking seems a bit over the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I took this picture for another thread and never posted it... :p

[​IMG]

The Simmons camo's are about 20 years old, but a very decent pair of $20 big box store binoculars. The Leopold Mesa's are my favorite
    compact pair, with the typical Leopold quality... but were around $130. The Bushnell Waterproof are a fantastic middle ground, very
    good optics at around $50, I can't say enough good things about these.

7. m.e.t.a.4

m.e.t.a.4 Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks for your input!

8. Jelerang

Jelerang Loaded Pockets

I'm not a frequent binocs user, but I have Nikon 8217 TRL Blazer that I like and are quite compact .

9. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

8X30 Nikon E2's -- topnotch birding quality binos...I use them at work for surveillances. They're not cheap -- but they're worth every penny you pay for them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

10. nine204

nine204 Loaded Pockets

I have a set of Minox BV 8X25 BRW. Best compact bino's I have peeped through. Love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I have a few pairs of bino's like the camo ones above, I like the fact that each eye piece folds right in, unlike the design of the Leupold's for example. I don't use bino's that often, I just like to keep a pair in each of our vehicles and different grab bags etc.

CSM-101 likes this.
  12. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Steiners binoculars was my first choice. The one I have is the "Merlin" model 10 X 42. Great piece of kit and I've had it for years now. Last year I wanted a smaller optic to be able to carry around and opted for a Leica monocular. Expensive as heck but what a beautiful crafted optic.

13. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

Leica makes some nice ones, too. But the price...

14. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I have the Pentax 10x50 and I really like them.

15. AlphaWhiskeyRomeo

AlphaWhiskeyRomeo Loaded Pockets

I have a set of Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's 10x25mm and they are impressive. The glass is crisp and clear. They were $155. Just packed in 2 days of 7" rainfall and then 100% humidity. They performed flawlessly.

16. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I'm not really a huge fan of roof prism binoculars, just because it's so expensive to get ones with decent optics. I do have a Brunton Echo 825 though, which is actually pretty good as long as there's plenty of light. The Brunton is waterproof too.

[​IMG]

I usually go with porro prism binoculars, as I'm not independently wealthy. Porro's aren't generally as water or dust proof as roofs, and are definitely larger and heavier, but you get better optics for your dollar. I love my Nikon A211 10X50.

[​IMG]

For dedicated bird watching, I have a pair of old Sears model 2527 extra wide angles at 7X35. These are from the golden age of binoculars, back when Japanese plants were making affordable yet absolutely spectacular quality optics. I don't have a good pic of them, but I still have the EvilBay picture. I think that I paid less than $25.00 for them. The quality is spectacular. Easily as good as my modern day Nikon.

[​IMG]

17. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

I know this a super old thread so I don't know if anyone is even watching it anymore, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I have a $50 pair of Bushnell Binoculars for hunting and outdoor stuff. I forget the model. I like them. However, the real thing that got me carrying them again was not the binoculars, but the carrying set up. I bought a binocular harness and it makes a world of difference on the perceived weight and hassle. The one I have is an Allen brand, but I think most are basically the same. It goes across the back and around the shoulders and attaches in the middle of the chest to the binoculars. It rides tight to the chest but is still flexible enough to be pulled into use and set back. I love it for walking while carrying other stuff (namely a shotgun) to keep the hands mostly free and keep it from bouncing around.

18. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Get a good set of optics the most expensive pair you can afford. It will be worth it in the long run. Nikon and Leupold is a good start. Steiner, Swarovski, and Leica would be good high end.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

19. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I used to have several sets of mid-range binos. Then the wife bought me (us) a pair of Vortex Viper HD binos. The difference is stunning!! They ain't cheap (not by a long shot), but they've got the best warranty in the biz hands down. I've liked them so much I even bought a 1,200 yard range finder from them. Their optics are unparalleled.

I'd strongly recommend looking into the Vortex products. If you're looking for something small, maybe try the Viper R/T line.

Brisket likes this.
  20. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

I'm not a big fan of compacts binoculars with 18mm-26mm objective lenses. I've owned and sold many from a variety of makers in search of something I liked and finally came to the conclusion that I greatly preferred the performance and value of decent 32mm OL bins without sacrificing that much additional real estate in by bag. The only true compact optics I kept were some Minox Macroscope 8x25 Monocular which are pretty cool if you like monoculars. I haven't owned the 36mm monoculars from Vortex which seem very attractive but do have the Vortex 15x50 Mountain Scope which I mostly use hunting as a compact spotting scope.

I have found Vortex, Eagle Optics and Zen Ray to provide a pretty good bang for the buck in optics. I particularly like the Viper line from Vortex and the 6x32's are my most carried due to the compact size and nice view out. I prefer using 42mm OL bins for views alone but don't always want to carry them. I've been pleased with optics from Steiner, Minox, Nikon, Leupold and Fuji as well as Vortex & Zen Ray. I have found the binocular sweet spot for me to be in the $300-$600 street price range which includes demo pricing from several dealers that offer that option. IMO you have to spend considerably more than that to gain a noticeable improvement in optics quality and I just can't justify that given my occasional usage. If I were to go outside of my sweet spot I would probably pick up a pair of Meopta Meostar or Steiner Peregrine XP for under a grand. As much as I have marveled at the view out of some Swaro EL's or Leica Ultravids I just don't see myself venturing into Alpha territory.