1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which Bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by cap6888, Apr 1, 2010.

1. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Well, after the initial lust for my Mongo gone, I am looking for a different way to EDC. The messenger style flap cover just doesn't work for me. Although I love the layout of the bag with all it's assorted pockets, the flap just always seems to get in my way. The worst part is that no one else has the Khaki/foliage combo color scheme which is AWESOME!

So now I am looking for a zipper top bag. After looking around, I think I am down to two choices.....the CC XL EOD Bag or the SOTECH MGB (or maybe the MMGB). The one thing that makes me question the EOD bag is that it is more square in shape. In the pictures on the CC website, it is kind of hard to get a true feel for the actual size. The point in question on the SOTECH bag is if it will fit a legal pad or a magazine in the main compartment without getting bent up. I would guess that the bigger variant (MMGB) would do this with no problem, but them I wonder if that will be too big. This is causing me quite the quandry...............

Either way, I would plan to end up placing a UNIKIT on the front to act as an admin pouch/small widget organizer. My luck will be that the minute I get a new bag, Maxped will come out with a "Mongo" version of the Colossus:shrug:

Any help/suggestions from people who have the bags (or not) would be a great help. Thanks

2. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi.

If you think you might want to sell the mongo and it is the right side carry, PM me and let me know I might be interested.

Thanx,
    Cliff

3. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I don't have either but I'll try to give you a few things to think about. So messenger bags/slinger types are out. That essentially leaves backpacks, MOLLE addon packs, or duffel type bags. Do you have a preference? I personally like backpacks. If the ****, it might be more comfortable to throw over both shoulders, have the weight evenly distributed, and have your hands free.

Maxpedition has some great backpacks: (Condor, Falcon, etc). I'm actually using a Teton camping/hiking backpack myself (not tactical looking).

If you like pockets and organization, CC has the XL Bob bag.

Not sure what MOLLE addon packs are there. I don't use a MOLLE type system.

Well, I'm sure you saw the size of the EOD bag = Aprox. Size: 14" x 11" x 6 " right?

I'd email Sotech and get the dimension and capacity (cubic inches) to help narrow down your choice.

Good luck

4. Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo Loaded Pockets

I have 2 of the SO Tech MGB's one first gen and one second gen. Neither will fit a legal pad, but a magazine i'm not too sure of. I use my first gen for a shower bag and the second as a Go bag. But, later tonight i'll check if a normal size magazine fits in there without getting bent. I will say though that the MGB is a great bag, it has four internal pouches and the second gen has a large size pocket in the main compartment as well. On the outside it has a zipper pocket which is also quite nice. In my opinion the only really pointless thing that it has is the two rows of PALS webbing. Anything you add to the outside of the bag would definatly get hung up on everything. The bag is actually designed to drop into the outer pouch of another SO Tech bag which i also have. Hope this helps a little

Shawn

5. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies everyone...........

HSH-it's an S-Type, but thanks for the offer

Doc-thanks, I kind of figured that the regular MGB was going to be too small, but thanks for confirming that.

Does anyone have the Messenger Mission Go Bag? I think that may be what I am leaning towards. At first it was the CC EOD bag, but the boxy shape kind of turns me off. I am just hoping that the MMGB isn't too big. US Cavalry has it available in Khaki, but no matter what color, it says they are special order:brickwall: !I have always had bad luck when it comes to "special order" items.

Thanks again for the responses!

6. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Did you look at the Maxpedition Operator at all? Great bag.

7. Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo Loaded Pockets

If it helps at all, i just checked if a magazine fits in there and yes it does I looked at the MMGB version I think it is supposed to be designed in hold a laptop but i'm not sure. I just carry my netbook in the regular MGB.

Shawn

8. Viper715

Viper715 Loaded Pockets

PM sent with interest in your S-type bag. Sorry for the OT response now back to your regularly scheduled programing.

9. lalew

lalew Loaded Pockets

I have to say - to go with backpack too- I like the even weight distribution with the dual straps over the messenger style bags.

what are you going to be carrying in it? laptop? is it for travel? work? etc

10. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

It will be a going around town/to work bag. It will also fill in as a carry on bag during travel. A backpack is too big for my needs (I actually use a Kodiak when I need something bigger). Thanks for suggesting the Maxped Attache, but that is not what I am looking for. In all honesty, I am looking for something simple. I don't want/need a whole bunch of different pockets on the outside. I am looking for a simple bag that will hold a legal pad (I always carry one, for putting together lesson plans, ideas, etc.), and either have some sort of admin pouch/pocket on the front that is easily accessible, or PALS so I can attach a UNIKIT. Since I have yet to find something that has the built in admin pouch, that is why I am steering towards the two bags I mentioned. all of the small items I carry would fit well in a UNIKIT, so I don't need a bag with a ton of organizers built in. I am almost half tempted to get the CC XL EOD bag based on the price, and see how it looks. I am just worried that the shape will look too square. Anyone have an XL EOD bag with pics (especially one with a legal pad next to it for size reference............:-X)? Thanks again for the input.