1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which bag? What else is out there...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by anywayoutside, Sep 9, 2011.

1. anywayoutside

anywayoutside Loaded Pockets

Here is my dilema - I need a larger EDC bag that will handle my current EDC plus an iPad2, USB battery backup, small portable HD, UL rain jacket (think 16 oz can size), a light fleece and several other reasonable upgrades. I currently carry a SOTech Mission Go Bag. It has been really good to me for the last 6 months, but it just doesn't have the volume. What I am most interested in so far:

Emdom TNT bag (w/ possible addition of the TNT gym bag for my AR)
    ITS Tac / Zulu Nylon Discreet Messenger Bag (Made in US, but won't be out until mid-Nov)
    Maxpedition MPB XXL

Caveat - US made is a huge plus. I not looking for anything from Condor, Rothco, Leapers/UTG...you get the picture. I will pony up the cash for a quality piece of gear. The Hazard4 bags are interesting but I don't think the lay out is really what I am looking for.

I have stumped myself. I am usually capable of finding anything i can think of online within a matter of a couple of hours. No such luck this time.

Help...any suggestions, ideas, slanderous comments?

2. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

I've been eyeing the Specopsbrand THE Messenger XL, but it has no internal organization and few outstanding features. It's on sale right now. One thing I love about Specopsbrand is the quality, you get excellent quality for the money, and made in the USA.
    http://www.specopsbrand.com/t-h-e-messenger-bag-x-large.html

Other than that, how about this:
    http://www.mountainridgegear.com/products/Tactical-Man-Purse-%252d-Wide-%28TMP%252dW%29.html
    http://www.mountainridgegear.com/products/Tactical-Messenger-Bag.html
    Also made in the USA.

3. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

4. anywayoutside

5. LoneArcher

LoneArcher Loaded Pockets

I don't know if this will fit exactly what you're looking for, but have you ever considered the Tenba Messenger Camera bag? It's not tactical looking and the only webbing is on each end, but it is available in three sizes. It's built of 1000D Nylon and is definitely top notch gear. It is made in China, but you wouldn't know it. (That last sentance qualifies as a slanderous comment, right?)

I've been carrying mine back and forth to work for over three years now and it's held up incredibly well. The only noticable wear on the bag is the painted logo is worn off of some of the zipper pulls and the back panel, which is of a softer padding, took some abuse from the hook side of the velcro on my duty belt. (The :censored: belt did a number on the seat of my new car too until I realized it was happening.)

http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Messenger-Bags.aspx

As for the bags you listed, the Zulu looks pretty awesome. If I were looking for a new bag I'd be looking really hard at that one.

Edited to fix link.

6. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

I have some Zulu gear... IMO it'd be worth the month or 2 wait.

7. anywayoutside

I am inclined to agree at this point. Currently the ITS/Zulu bag is in the #1 spot. I am only slightly concerned it is not quite big enough.

8. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Have you looked at Tom Bihn? I've been eyeing the backpacks lately, but they also have some nice looking messenger bags if that's the style you prefer. They are made in USA, I think.

10. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

11. anywayoutside

Valolammas - I have looked at Tom Bihn, but it just doesn't suit me. Nice stuff just not for me.

Flexxx - I am not keen on 5.11 bags in general. They are made well enough, but if I were going that direction Maxpedition would win out. Same idea with Hazard4 - I own a Plan B and a Tonto and they are fairly nice bags, but they aren't amazingly functional for me (I personally don't care for Haz4's admin layouts all that much). I can't say the M.O.D. is off my shortlist all together, but it is trailing badly compared to my top 3 choices.
    As far as Kifaru and TAD go...I am looking for a briefcase/messenger style bag only. I have a half dozen packs I need to sell as it is.
    Also the ITS bag will be $297 plus shipping since I joined their forum.

Overall I am looking for something with a fair amount of built-in and segregated organization. The reason for this is end cost. You take a PALS/MOLLE covered messenger bag and start to bring it up to par with the ITS/Zulu bag or the Emdom TNT and you will have to drop another $100 or more on pouches, sheaths and add-ons. Now I love modular pouches and sheaths as much as the next guy but more than one or two on a bag (especially a bag and not a pack) and the begin to feel in the way or out of place.

All - I do appreciate your imput and opinions. Please keep 'em coming. The more obscure the better.

12. el chupacabra

I've been one who really push for the made in the USA quality, but I have to say I've been impressed with the fit an finish of the H4 iPad tote I have.

I think he's specifically looking for a messenger style bag though. And the Zulu gear is of the caliber of Kif and TAD IMO.

13. el chupacabra

N/M looks like the OP got here first. LOL

14. el chupacabra

Anywayoutside, have you checked out the other Zulu messenger that's on Zulu's site?

15. anywayoutside

I have looked at it, but I would want to add the Mega Admin to it. If I did that it would actually cost more than the ITS version. (Note: ITS version would be 15% off or $297 + shipping)

16. freeride

freeride Loaded Pockets

I carry an Emdom TNT bag daily as a LEO. I love it. It's one of very few bags that have been purchased and held on to by me. I'm an avid trader. :)

If you can find one, because they seem to have been sold out forever, buy it. You can't have mine.

17. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

No worries bro, hope you find a good bag....

Post some pics when you get it

18. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

Sorry I missed a section out when copy/pasting my reply.

You may find that a sling bag becomes uncomfortable to carry when you have more than about 5kg in it.

After that it is more comfortable to use a back pack.

If you are only after a sling bag there is the Kifaru OTW bag.

19. anywayoutside

Thanks to everyone so far...I am going to take one last stab at finding something I missed.

The long and the short -

Emdom TNT bag - pricey, out of stock and hard to find... but just about perfect. Might be a little small for me and they have questionable, at best, customer service reviews.

Maxped MPB XXL - big, consistent quality, inexpensive compared to the others and I could have it tomorrow. Let down by the fact it has no external bottle pockets. Maybe the Aggressor would be a better alternative?

ITS/ZULU Discreet - High marks all the way around except - Most expensive, 2 month wait and it has a messenger flap.

Does anyone have any more ideas or anything they could add?

20. retrospeaks

retrospeaks Loaded Pockets

anywayoutside-

this might be a slight thread derail, and i apologize in advanced. i notice you said you had the plan b from hazard. how do you like it as a daily commuter? and is the metal ring an issue with slippage? i've read thus far that it's been a concern but nothing a little jimmyrigging won't fix. i'm not a huge fan of shoulder bags as my edc bags are at least 10 pounds when i commute to the office, but the design from hazard 4 looks like it would be good for commuting by bus or rail. any input of yours is appreciated, thanks.