1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which backpack to replace a Maxped Mongo for EDC?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Dubya, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I've been looking around for a less tactical yet sturdy pack to supplement my Mongo.
    I'd still use the Mongo to go out on walks/hikes, but I really need something more low key for trips to the zoo w/ the kids. I considered the Goruck, great reviews from those that have used them, but I've grown attached to my wife and her not beating me over the head so the price is not right for me. I'm watching this thread for ideas. The Timbuk2 line looks too, I don't know...you know, HEY LOOK AT ME..

2. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

Get a Jansport Superbreak or Big Student, depending on how much gear you carry if you want dependable, invisible and cheap. Just know that they're only invisible if you don't get zebra stripes or some such :giggle:

3. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I have mixed feelings about the Timbuk2 line's brightness. In urban settings, when I'm a pedestrian or on a bike, I LOVE the brightness, and retro-reflective tabs, etc. I think it's a major safety asset for the bag to be very bright and eye catching. It also makes it super-easy to find around the house, and to remember to grab it when I leave a location.

But the 'look at ME!' aspect can attract too much attention in other contexts.

I will say that in terms of attracting potentially unwanted attention, my all-black Maxpedition Mongo gets about 4x the questions and people checking it out closely as my Gray/Safety Orange/Gray Timbuk2 messenger bag. While the Timbuk2 has about 2 square feet of International orange Nylon that's eye-searingly bright, I've NEVER had anyone take a second look at it or check it out on the way by, where the crazy-black Mongo attracts a shocking amount of attention around town (large city with several major universities, so backpacks and messenger bags are visible everywhere). Counter-intuitive, but very very true.

4. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

If you can find one, the Blue Force Gear packs are very "low profile". I had a Micro, but sold it, so now I am using my Jedburgh.

Cervantes likes this.