1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Which 9mm would you use for CCW?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by piscator, Jun 16, 2014.

?

Which 9mm would you use for CCW?

1. Sig P290RS

5.8%
  2. Beretta Nano

2.9%
  3. Kahr CM9

12.9%
  4. Springfield XDs 9

15.8%
  5. S&W M&P Shield

38.1%
  6. Other

33.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This is an excellent point! It is quite applicable today where we have a large number of 9mm pistols readily available to the public. During the late 60s when I began carrying concealed in public, there were few options: the Hi-Power, S&W Model 59 were the most accessible. There were a small few others from the Eastern Bloc that trickled into the West but remained obscure until the mid-80s.

Today, I have only four 9mm pistols in my battery. I sold my custom Beretta 92 years ago simply because it was too big to carry. My stainless S&W 659 does only home defense duty because it is too heavy to carry more than an hour. The Glock 19 lives in by BOB. The wife OWNS the original model Kahr. That leaves the Hi-Power. With its svelte curves and long barrel, it is so easy to conceal even without a good holster.

With the exception of the Kahr K9, the Hi-Power remains the only 9mm pistol that I would carry concealed despite many other makes and models.

Its only disadvantage is its size. One cannot just throw this in a pocket with the wallet, keys, and other things. It is large and long. It is a combat pistol that still services the armed forces of dozens of nations and is a handgun for those such as myself that prefer the cocked and locked mode of operation and the longer sight radius.

2. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

I wanted a "pocket gun" that was in 9mm a couple years ago and went with the Kahr CM9 and couldn't be happier. If/when Glock makes a single stack 9 I will check into it, but for the size and quality of the CM9 I am 100% happy with its fit and performance.

I use it less as a pocket gun and more of an IWB (via remora) most of the time. Sometimes it'll go in the pocket and I also have a N82 Tactical IWB holster that gets a little time as well. The IWB carry is extremely comfortable (like it's not even there) and when wearing the proper pants/jackets the pocket will work, but the gun is just a tad too big most of the time.

3. Tonka Hotcakes

Tonka Hotcakes Loaded Pockets

I use a keltek 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I carry the CM9 and love it. Looking to change to a G19 though due to increase in shootings in my area.

5. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carry the CM9; good balance of shootability and comfort.

6. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

My vote would go to the Kahr CW9. Not the smallest pistol Kahr makes, but still small or smaller than the Shield and XD. Seven round mags that can be replaced with 8 rd mags for the T-series using the A&G grip spacer which is positively elegant compared to the 8 rd extended mags Kahr makes. And often available for less than $300. Great shooter and good ergos, not to mention reliable once broken in and light. After that it would be the CM9, smaller still but upgradeable to the 7 round mags of the K-series with the same A&G spacer. And still found for under $300. Don't believe any of the others can touch those prices.

7. 1Shield9

1Shield9 Empty Pockets

I have a shield in 9mm and when the xds 9mm came out my buddy got one. I had fallen in love with my shield from the moment I bought it and even more so after shooting it. But I still had a pretty serious envy over the xds. Luckily by friend got one and I was able to give it a go and I was very disappointed. It's one of the best looking polymer framed guns on the market, but while shooting that grip was too aggressive. I really disliked the trigger compared to my shield, or even compared to his old xd subcompact he sold to get the xds. So from my experience with both the Shield and the XDs I would get the shield any day of the week, even if it were the more expensive of the two options. Don't have experience with the other two but at least that may help narrow it down a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

My vote is the S&W M&P 9c. I chose that over a Shield because it will allow me to use the full size magazines I have for my FS Pro Series.

9. jrad

jrad Loaded Pockets

Ruger lc9 or Springfield sub compact

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

I have a g19 I really like, and I recently found out that Wilson Combat makes a drop in barrel for it. Love the way it shoots, very easy to control. I carry appendix, and I find that for concealment purposes, the length of the grip is what prints. The g19 for me is about the largest I can carry for non-printing (I normally carry a G29). I like the grip that this affords, and very easy to shoot. Just recently purchased a Springfield XDs as well, and I like the way that shoots and is easier to conceal. If I had to do it again, I'd get the 4" barrel version as I like the additional sight radius and slight gain in muzzle velocity....

11. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

I do not carry any of them currently, but I keep eying a Shield. They feel good in my hand, and are built solid. I currently carry a G27 or a G19 concealed.

12. Landonson

Landonson Loaded Pockets

13. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

I vote for the CM9 or CW9 if you want to step up a size. Both are small enough to conceal easily, light enough to carry constantly, and totally reliable (in my experience). Second place from your list is the xDs. I've never liked the stock trigger on the M&P's, and I can't stand the finger grooves on the glock. I think the Kahr's are a sweet spot for pricing, reliability, and accuracy.

14. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Loaded Pockets

Kahr PM9. Mine has never had any sort of jam. It fits in a pocket nicely. I carry Speer Gold Dots; 7 in the pistol and another 7 in a spare magazine.

15. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

I carry the Springfield XD9 in the sub-compact model.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  16. Rilock4

Rilock4 Loaded Pockets

The XDS is a great carry and I wish I didn't trade it in. I will be getting another one when I have the money for it. I enjoy carrying my Walther PPS, it is in 40, but if the 9 is anything like the 40 it would be a good second choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. GEARHEAD_ENG

GEARHEAD_ENG Loaded Pockets

I've been EDC'ing a Kahr CM9 for the past year. It's the second smallest 9mm on the market next to the Diamond Back DB9. I have heard too many horror stories about the DB9 so I skipped that one. The Kahr feels great in my hand and has a butter smooth trigger. I only wish it had a shorter reset but you have to remember what it was designed for, close quater SD situations.

I've seen these on Grabagun for under $325

[​IMG]

My CM9 next to my S&W M60

18. destro1103

destro1103 Loaded Pockets

Glock 26 for the winter and a Sig p238 for summer or business casual wear

19. Huskybiker

Huskybiker Empty Pockets

In 9mm, I voted Shield. I also carry an XDS in 45. If S&W ever comes out with a Shield 45, I'll have one.

20. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Walther PPS