1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where's an Alberta knife fan to go?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Lightnig, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

As far as purchasing a blade anyway?

I'm not meaning to exclude anyone outside the area from commenting, but I am very curious as to where the Alberta people go to buy their blades? Online, favorite local retailer, other???

Personally, the only two places worth going to that I have found here in Calgary are Target Knives and 911 Supply. I love the customer service at Target, but find their priccs a bit on the high side. and I like 911 for their pricing, but they have such a small selection of knives - but are good for other items of interest as well.

I tend to avoid HoK like the plague, because they have so many 'poser' knives and abhor their big mall pricing.

And no, I don't typically shop at Wholesale sports or Bass Pro for knives. Selection is too limited to hunting type blades for my taste.

As for websites, I have found most fall into 2 categories; decent prices but very high shipping costs to Canada, or decent shipping but with high product costs. Any favorites that seem to be Canadian buyer friendly?

2. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

Where do you live? I deal with 911 supply a lot but haven't got any knives from them, really great guys tho and know their product very well. Rowlan is a good guy too but the prices are insane compared to online and they don't have a great selection of more popular knives. I do however get most of my knives from warriors and wonders. They have good prices and next day shipping. Bushcraft Canada has a good selection but have found they don't always have stuff in stock and don't tell you before ordering

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

S&R knives in Toronto (caledon2 on ebay) probably has the best price in country, selection is pretty decent. Warriors and wonders in Vancouver has bigger selection but price is higher. From US edcdepot has limited selection but very good price and shipping, newgraham has good selection and good shipping (you tell them what method to use, 1st class, priority etc.), price is middle of the pack for american source. I've dealt with all 4 extensively and they are all good people.

4. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

calebklyne, I am straight west of downtown, not too far from Shaganappi Golf course, so no mater what shop I go to it is a jaunt from where I am.

jzmtl, funny you should mention S&R knives, just ordered a Kershaw Shallot from hhim the other day. Certainly a good price, far cheaper than I could find around here. Thought his shipping was a bit high, but if it gets here in decent time and in good shape, I won't complain about that.

How about any of the Edmonton folks, any decent shops in your neck of the woods?

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Cabela's has some decent ones.

I saw some really nice ones at the Supply Sergeant at West Edmonton Mall, and MilArms down in Chinatown.

6. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I was going to mention supply sergeant as well. Not a huge selection but they have more popular models.

7. Fighting Shibas

Fighting Shibas Loaded Pockets

Those are the first ones to pop into my head as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yeah unfortunately that's pretty much how it goes in Canada, but his price is low enough to offset that compared with other canadian retailers.

9. eps5

eps5 Loaded Pockets

10. knuckleduster1

knuckleduster1 Loaded Pockets

I like target, have bought knives from them mostly at the Easter Gun Show. But I have to say I usually buy either from Forums or from eBay. The knives are the same so why not pay the least?

11. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have bough knives from Jon here at the EDCF Store. The shipping is almost comparable to domestic prices here and Jon's knife prices are competitive. Caledon2 on ebay has been good to buy from too.

12. Dekz

Dekz Loaded Pockets

13. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Thanks all,

And nice couple of Canadian shops with good prices. After seeing them, could be a while before I feel the need to brave the traffic to go in person.

Of course, I still like to handle things before I buy them, but with the difference in prices between the online shps and the local stores, i'll be hard to justify buying locally...

14. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Talk to your local blades stores and see if they can match online prices.

15. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

nah, I'd rather leave them to their free market headspace. If they can get away with charging $330 bucks for an Emerson cqc15 that I can buy online for $190 (for example), then all the power to them.

As far as I am concerned, there are way too many people around here with more money than brains. So if someone wants to pay a $140 premium for instant gratification, then who am I to argue?

That said, I've mentioned price differential a couple of times, and left it up to them if they wanted to offer a price match. The offer never came, so the purchase from me didn't either...